What could I do differently to my hair?!

adavis14adavis14 Posts: 2Registered Users
Ive had the same hair cut for the past 7 years and I am growing really bored of it but have no idea what I could do differently! I have been wanting to do something different for the past few years but could not think of what to do. Any ideas?! Thank you:)

Comments

• eveumeveum Posts: 744Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have a feeling you'd really suit a bob

Low Shampoo: Aveda Be Curly Shampoo
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture/ Perfectly Undone
    Treatments: SM Black Castor Oil Masque/ Packet Gelatine
    Leave in: Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
    Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
    Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost

Between Waist and Hip Length (stretched), 2C with 2B roots
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ^^ I was just about to say that!!!

You'd rock a Taylor Swift type 'do:
    2sandzk.jpg
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • frcklsfrckls Posts: 528Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Exactly my thought. Your hair looks like it's gonna end up something like Julie Bowen (Claire Dunphy in Modern Family). I LOVE her cut!

Julie-Bowen.jpg
    2B/C canopy & 2A/B underlayer
    coarse | low-normal porosity | normal elasticity | low-med density
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Clarify: Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, Citric acid rinse
    RO/LI: Jason Moisturizing 84% Aloe Vera / Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
    Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
    Treatment: H&B Wonder Oil + VCO, Honey-Cardamom-EVOO-Chamomile
  • MsPMsP Posts: 116Registered Users
    I think it's pretty. I don't think cutting it would make it any prettier. To the contrary, I think taking some of it away would make it less attractive and less of an attractive pallet. I think having less of the attractive hair would take away from you and the overall effect of the hair .

I would look at some up do ideas for a change of pace. Maybe a French roll up the back and a mound on top a la Ivanna Trump. . Maybe a top mound and leave the back down and curly... like half up half down. Maybe add some highlights.

I see a shorter cut requiring more work while giving back less attractiveness in turn. It would not be better, it would just be less of the same, especially since you'll still wear it curly. The only thing that would change is the amount of it you're working with. Less

I'd either leave it and work on girlie up do styles, or grow it out. So I would say play with it,have fun making girlie styles. Experiment with rollers, accessories and be creative with what you've got. In the movie The Devil's Advocate, when the devil wants to destroy actress Charlize Theron, he has her to cut off her long blonde curly hair and go for a short dark, boyish style. He then takes away her mind after taking away from her femininity and her attractiveness. Think about it.
    My Routine:
    Coconut oil drench the night before I co-wash
    then cowash and deep condition each time w/ Keracare Humecto, Joico Moisture Recovery and/or ApHogee 2min
    then usually airdry
    Grapeseed oil nightly

(no gel, mouse, or hair spray. My delicate, fine hair will tear if I even try to run my fingers through it with any of those. :angel9:)
    My go to leave ins are now: my regular conditioners listed above, gs oil, or PW77
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree with the above ladies and say that the cut would look great on you! I get bored with my hair sometimes and find that either a cut or color helps me change it up a bit. Maybe even doing different layers would help change it up? Either way, beautiful hair!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• eveumeveum Posts: 744Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Get a fringe!

Low Shampoo: Aveda Be Curly Shampoo
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture/ Perfectly Undone
    Treatments: SM Black Castor Oil Masque/ Packet Gelatine
    Leave in: Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
    Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
    Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost

Between Waist and Hip Length (stretched), 2C with 2B roots
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,155Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Your hair is absolutely gorgeous. Don't do anything to it - buy a hat instead or a pretty scarf or sparkly barrettes.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,343Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    sometimes just a few inches off and some long layers added make a big difference, nothing drastic but could be a definite lift for you.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • CurlXTCeeCurlXTCee Posts: 379Registered Users
    rbb wrote: »
    sometimes just a few inches off and some long layers added make a big difference, nothing drastic but could be a definite lift for you.

I agree with this. Some subtle layers here and there for volume, texture, and movement and maybe a little off the bottom, along with a subtle (or drastic) color boost or change. I'm not a usually fan of bangs on most people, but you could probably rock some that weren't too heavy. One of the best changes I ever made to my curls was to introduce some subtle layering, but you have to be very careful and not allow the stylist to overdo it. Make sure he/she understands what you want. I got lucky, and mine did an amazing job. She knew exactly what I was going for.

Keep us updated whatever you decide! You and your hair are gorgeous!
  • heartincloverheartinclover Posts: 33Registered Users
    Your hair is beautiful! I'd recommend lots of choppy layers and longish bangs (with the longest layer being your current length, fading into the bang length). I'd post a picture of what I mean, but I'm still too new here to do that. :toothy7:
  • CurlXTCeeCurlXTCee Posts: 379Registered Users
    Your hair is beautiful! I'd recommend lots of choppy layers and longish bangs (with the longest layer being your current length, fading into the bang length). I'd post a picture of what I mean, but I'm still too new here to do that. :toothy7:

I think we're on the same page, but you said it better. Are you a stylist?
  • adavis14adavis14 Posts: 2Registered Users
    Thanks everyone!
  • heartincloverheartinclover Posts: 33Registered Users
    CurlXTCee wrote: »

I think we're on the same page, but you said it better. Are you a stylist?
    I think so, too! And, well, yes and no. I've been cutting/dying my own hair since late middle school. My parents could only afford Super Cuts kinds of haircuts, where the stylists don't get the best curly hair education. For years they told me I just had a lot of cowlicks, so I spent a lot of time fighting/combing my natural hair texture with horrible hair cuts. I was sick of feeling like a poodle, so I started cutting, and later bleaching/dying my own hair. My mom has loose 2c hair (she doesn't follow the curly girl method though, so it's hard to tell), and has had similar experiences with hairstylists not understanding that hair can be more than flat and straight. When she saw the improvement in my own hair, she had me trim her bangs between appointments. When the only hairstylist she trusted moved a few states away, she had me cut and trim her hair. In college I made spending money by cutting/dying/styling friend's and coworker's hair. So, I'm a self-taught hair care enthusiast, really.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file