Washing New Stuff

CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
Do you wash new clothes/linens before using then?

I bought new sheets this week and a friend asked if I liked them. I told her I hadn't had a chance to wash them yet, hopefully over the weekend.

She was so shocked that I was washing them first. I do that with everything, save for knits (which I have very little of) and evening wear.

Who's the weird one?!?
I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
Audrey Hepburn

Comments

• RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Do you wash new clothes/linens before using then?

I bought new sheets this week and a friend asked if I liked them. I told her I hadn't had a chance to wash them yet, hopefully over the weekend.

She was so shocked that I was washing them first. I do that with everything, save for knits (which I have very little of) and evening wear.

Who's the weird one?!?

You're friend! I definitely wash before wearing.
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
  • mustangbunnymustangbunny Posts: 1,033Registered Users
    I always wash sheets before using them. Otherwise they are kind of stiff. But it was a foreign concept to my boyfriend and he's still alive. I feel more strict about washing clothes and towels and dishes, though.

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
    Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
    Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
    :hockey:

• BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I wash new towels before using them but not new sheets. Sheets come in packaging but towels don't and I worked in a shop that sold both. The towels use to end up on the floor and I had to fold them.
  • PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I can't think of a instance where I wouldn't wash first. But, I'm prone to allergic dermatitis so I make sure it's been washed in my laundry soap before putting it on my body.(or putting my body on it)
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I normally wash everything first. The only exceptions make are hand wash/dry clean only items that come from a clothing store in my town that I know is clean My mom has always washed first, I picked it up from her and am glad I did. I used to work in a store that sold mens & women's clothes upstairs and children's clothes, bed, bath & other home goods downstairs. When I opened up the shipping crates to unpack the merchandise roaches would pour out. They ran all over the store room. The manager did not care. They never put out traps or had someone spray. They were fine with it being infested. I should not have been surprised. I came across clothes there that I am pretty sure were made by 5 year olds in a sweat shop.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I never wash things first except towels, and that's only because their absorbency is rubbish until they've been washed.
    3b in South Australia.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Blueblood wrote: »
    I wash new towels before using them but not new sheets. Sheets come in packaging but towels don't and I worked in a shop that sold both. The towels use to end up on the floor and I had to fold them.

What about where they were before going in the package? That's what skeeves me out!
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    I know in the last few years a study came out about the disgusting things found on newly purchased clothing. It was pretty skeevy stuff.

PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.

Go Red Wings!

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I normally do not wash clothing first. I love the feeling (physical and mental) of putting on something brand new, and washing first would kill that feeling.

I do wash towels first bc I have used some in the past without first washing them (I think they were just cheap but IDK) and they left lint all over me. And some have a weird chemically smell. And I wash washclothes and dish towels, too.

If clothes have a weird smell, i'll wash them first.

• curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have to admit, although I think most people would consider me a fastidious and superclean person - it's never even occurred to me to wash things first before I wear them or use them. Eeekkk!

Well, fortunately, the bad germies, toxins, etc. haven't killed me off yet. :toothy10:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • goldygoldy Posts: 5,463Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Wash everything first
    Poodlehead wrote:
    Ah, it all makes sense now. Goldy is the puppet master! :lol:

What about where they were before going in the package? That's what skeeves me out!
    Not worried as still alive.

I have done a lot of sports where the only storage space for discarded clothing, which you later put back on, was the ground.

Plus have had friends and family working in clothing factories. The clothes I would be worried about washing before wearing normally have a dry clean only label on them.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I wash everything. Clothes, coats, jeans, sheets, towels, blankets, socks, unders, everything.
    It gets rid of chemicals used in manufacture, weird smells, excess dye (I've had blue legs from dark wash jeans that weren't washed enough times before wearing), scratchiness (which I can't abide), etc. And it gets rid of wrinkles.
    I also take the tags out of everything (again I can't take anything scratchy at all).
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't bother washing things before wearing them. Maybe bedsheets or pillows, but with clothes and stuff I can never be asked.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    Clothes? No

Sheets, towels, underwear? Yes
  • pinksugarpinksugar Posts: 2,346Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I didn't used to wash clothes before wearing until my son put on a brand new pair of shorts and found a bloody panty liner in one of the pockets. Gross!

Now, I wash everything before wearing or using. Everything!
    pinksugar wrote: »
    I didn't used to wash clothes before wearing until my son put on a brand new pair of shorts and found a bloody panty liner in one of the pockets. Gross!

laughing-dog-meme-generator-stop-stop-you-re-gonna-make-me-pee-ed3dfc.jpg

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    OMG who does that?!?!
    Audrey Hepburn
    OMG who does that?!?!

I remember reading that several ppl bought used pants from ebay and found bloody fem hygiene products stuck inside. It was actually becoming a thing there for a min. But I've never heard of clothes bought new from an actual store. I'm thining of the episode of I Love Lucy were the line is moving too fast and Lucy starts sticking chocolates in her bra. LOL

People were doing it on purpose?
    Audrey Hepburn

No one knew LOL

Why is this so funny to me?!:laughing5:

I read years ago in Japan some men purposely brought used female underwear - so anything is possible.
    I read years ago in Japan some men purposely brought used female underwear - so anything is possible.

Yeah, it was sold out of vending machines, supposedly.

Well, there is a pretty decent sized market on ebay in this country (US) for used (and preferably unwashed and stinky) panty hose and scuffed shoes. :goofy: The search term was/is "well worn." (I think it is in violation of ebay's rules to sell used underwear.)

Ugh ::barf::

Go Red Wings!

I could totally see that!!
    Audrey Hepburn
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,727Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    If you go to the 'adult' section of Ebay, anything goes.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    I didn't even know that existed!!!!
    Audrey Hepburn
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Me neither. Don't think I'll be visiting.
    3b in South Australia.
    hahaha. It's pretty interesting.
  • rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,737Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    not only do i wash things first, i also Scotch-Guard new clothes - especially if they're a light colour.

i am GUARANTEED to spill coffee all over a new white/cream/coral shirt if i don't Scotch-Guard before wearing it the first time!!!

brain-slug-smiley.gif?1292867560
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file