Getting very frustrated w/ my problem feet

spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
I know I talk about this a lot. Sorry in advance.

It's getting harder and harder for me to find shoes that don't hurt after more than 20 or 30 nins. Flats are easier but I can find some comfy heels. Even 5 inch hoochie mama heels. But they are few and far btwn.

I wear skirts and dresses a lot, all year. So I am always on the look out for modest, conservative-ish heels I can wear to work that allow me to really move and that still look semi-attractive.

So I grew up in the 80s and for several years, these below were popular (but usually worn in white or gray or nude). The flagship brand for this style was Capezio, a dance shoe company. But there were plenty of knock offs, including brands that offered versions that were slightly modified from actual jazz dance shoes (with a thicker sole or a block heel).

41nMlHbpVaL._SL190_CR0,0,190,246_.jpg

So my memories of wearing the above are inspiring me to try these (and similar) to wear for regular street use. (They are actually dance shoes from Capezio and Bloch.)

51E-uRcJNsL._SL190_SY246_CR0,0,190,246_.jpg

41NT4kJ4ZEL._SL190_CR0,0,190,246_.jpg

Soes this sound like an Ok idea? I could stick in a gel insert or something if I needed to.

My issues is that most shoes are too stiff and tight. And when they are heels, they force my feet into an unnatural position and I can't wiggle them around so they eventually spasm. And I have shooting pains down my metatarsals all day. It helps when I take my shoes off frequently and wiggle and flex and stretch them but that's not always possible.

Comments

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Have you tried a wide shoe?
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't think it's a bad idea, but honestly, I've just discovered that there are very few shoes I can wear any more. Even my trusty Clarks are giving me issues.

Last year when I had that bout of plantar fasciitis that would not heal (and I ended up wearing a boot for a few weeks) - I had to wear tennis shoes only for about 6 months. My feet have never been so happy. Now, I'm able to wear other shoes a bit more often but wear some very ugly trusty comfy shoes the other days (or even have to revert to tennis shoes).

I did find that the thing called the Shoe Genie ($10 bed bath beyond) did help stretch out the shoe just that tiny bit needed in the toe box and it's made some shoes wearable again (but not two days in a row).

I have a narrow heel and foot, just my toes are getting wider (I blame yoga) and with my RA and random foot and toe flares, things are just icky.

Check out the brand arcopedico, they look VERY comfy, and not unlike the first capezios you posted

also, I know I recommend this blog often, so if I'm repeating, I apologize, barkingdogshoes.com

she has lots of recommendations for all sorts of issues
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
    double post
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Have you tried a wide shoe?

I want to! (I remember posting about this w/ WhoMe and several other boardies on here a couple of years ago.) But I cannot find styles I like in wides. Some are available in wides but are sold out of them in my size.

The issue for me is also not just that the shoes are narrow from left to right but also that the toe box and vamp are too "flat" and not high enough up from the floor for me to move my toes up and down/flex my toes. (Sandals usually are OK since there's plenty of open space for me to wiggle my toes around...so IDK why I posted a pic of that Capezio sandal. I guess I just think it's cute. LOL)

• Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I see no problem with the dance shoes and know they are incredibly comfortable. I always wanted to get a pair just like my Capezio tap shoes (like the black ones you have pictured except mine were nude). With the right outfit, I doubt anyone would notice.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    PerriP wrote: »
    I don't think it's a bad idea, but honestly, I've just discovered that there are very few shoes I can wear any more. Even my trusty Clarks are giving me issues.

Last year when I had that bout of plantar fasciitis that would not heal (and I ended up wearing a boot for a few weeks) - I had to wear tennis shoes only for about 6 months. My feet have never been so happy. Now, I'm able to wear other shoes a bit more often but wear some very ugly trusty comfy shoes the other days (or even have to revert to tennis shoes).

I did find that the thing called the Shoe Genie ($10 bed bath beyond) did help stretch out the shoe just that tiny bit needed in the toe box and it's made some shoes wearable again (but not two days in a row).

I have a narrow heel and foot, just my toes are getting wider (I blame yoga) and with my RA and random foot and toe flares, things are just icky.

Check out the brand arcopedico, they look VERY comfy, and not unlike the first capezios you posted

also, I know I recommend this blog often, so if I'm repeating, I apologize, barkingdogshoes.com

These are great suggestions. Thanks. I never heard of that thingie. Definitely on my to-buy list for this wknd! (You mean Stretch Genie, right? Just googled it.)

Doesn't wearing ugly shoes make you feel like crap, tho? How do you manage skirts and nice clothes?

Very depressing.

My mother never had foot pain that I know off but her (bare) feet are now kinda locked into a high heel shape after many yrs of wearing heels. Now she just wears flats but her feet still look bad.

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Cheap & won't last long, put Payless has some cute styles in wide. At least you could see if that's the issue before investing real money.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • mustangbunnymustangbunny Posts: 1,033Registered Users
    I'm sorry you're having feet problems. They're really sucky. I think the shoes you posted are cute! It is hard to find comfortable shoes when you're on your feet a lot. And it seems like people who don't have feet problems don't really understand sometimes. Wearing a pair of heels when you have feet problems can be a Herculean task. And exercise can be very painful.
    Have you ever seen a dr.? I just wonder if there's anything they could recommend that might help. I know it is not the same but I have plantar fasciitis and my doctor gave me stretches to do every day. He also told me what kind of inserts to buy for my feet.

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
    Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
    Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
    :hockey:

Have either of you ever looked into energy healing? I know some would find that to be a cooky idea but I doubt you are one of them.

I had a hard time standing for more than 30 minutes, regardless of the shoes I had on, after my foot surgeries. My feet would get bright red, hot and swell. The pediatrist who did the first surgery was not very gentle and he did some nerve damage. Actually, the man was a freak who talked 900 miles a minute because he was coked out of his mind. A fact we found out after he was arrested for selling cocaine from his practice. Anywho, a few years later I met a guy who was attending a holistic school and focusing on energy healing. When he heard about my problem he asked if he could give it a try. Why not? I had tried everything else. As soon as he started I could feel the heat flowing from my feet and into his hands. From that point on I only hurt when wearing heels. Much better!

True story, and it's supposed to get better with more sessions. I just had one freebie.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fifi.G wrote: »
    I see no problem with the dance shoes and know they are incredibly comfortable. I always wanted to get a pair just like my Capezio tap shoes (like the black ones you have pictured except mine were nude). With the right outfit, I doubt anyone would notice.

The cool thing about the black heels is that they are a split sole. Only like elastic connecting the front sole from the back heel so you can stretch and flex your feet like crazy.

But what about support? Is it medically sound to wear dance shoes when not dancing? Do they have adequate arch support? Also the ground would have to be totally dry bc the soles are suede (imagine the flexibility!).

These are great suggestions. Thanks. I never heard of that thingie. Definitely on my to-buy list for this wknd! (You mean Stretch Genie, right? Just googled it.)

Doesn't wearing ugly shoes make you feel like crap, tho? How do you manage skirts and nice clothes?

Very depressing.

My mother never had foot pain that I know off but her (bare) feet are now kinda locked into a high heel shape after many yrs of wearing heels. Now she just wears flats but her feet still look bad.

yes, it is a downer, but I got used to wearing my dress pants and tennis shoes - I know I looked like a dork, but my feet WERE SO HAPPY I DID NOT CARE. It's a struggle to find cute and what works for me, but with my issues, I have to be careful so I suck it up. I do have some cute flats and heels to wear with skirts and dresses but I don't wear them often. My podatrist told me I could wear "non tennis shoes" 20% of the time. I am not that good now that particular issue has healed but I am very very conservative with my shoes. And shoes I used to love - like pointy toes, etc.. they will never see my feet again.. sigh.

The cool about the black heels is that they are a split sole. Only like elastic connecting the front sole from the back heel so you can stretch and flex your feet like crazy.

But what about support? Is it medically sound to wear dance shoes when not dancing? Do they have adequate arch support? Also the ground would have to be totally dry bc the soles are suede (imagine the flexibility!).

Mine had fantastic support but they were not split soles. Being tap they had a sound yet flexible sole. I am not sure how the split would hold up in the day to day but they are made for extreme footwork.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm sorry you're having feet problems. They're really sucky. I think the shoes you posted are cute! It is hard to find comfortable shoes when you're on your feet a lot. And it seems like people who don't have feet problems don't really understand sometimes. Wearing a pair of heels when you have feet problems can be a Herculean task. And exercise can be very painful.
    Have you ever seen a dr.? I just wonder if there's anything they could recommend that might help. I know it is not the same but I have plantar fasciitis and my doctor gave me stretches to do every day. He also told me what kind of inserts to buy for my feet.

I did see a podiatrist about 5 yrs ago for this problem...and right after I also developed a bunion (three weeks after rupturing my disc). And he was male....:roll:

He didn't get it at all. He has never worn heels! He just told me no more heels! Took a mold of my foot for an orthotic and scheduled me for bunion surgery (which I never did).

I mean, he looked at my feet for about 30 seconds and just scheduled me for surgery. He didn't get it. I am fine in some shoes, including heels. Saying "no heels ever" to someone in her 30s w/ no prior foot surgeries or anything is just extreme.

I went to another podiatrist about 15 yrs ago also, come to think of it. Bc I had attempted to slice off dead skin on my heel and wound up gouging myself. He just prescribed me Vioxx...which was later pulled from the market. The skin grew back and I was fine. I wouldn't start having foot pain from certain shoes, etc. for another 8 yrs.

The cool about the black heels is that they are a split sole. Only like elastic connecting the front sole from the back heel so you can stretch and flex your feet like crazy.

Mine had fantastic support but they were not split soles. Being tap they had a sound yet flexible sole. I am not sure how the split would hold up in the day to day but they are made for extreme footwork.

Well there are others just like them without the split sole (not just for tap but for "chorus" and "ballroom" and "character" and jazz, etc.). I guess I could start off w/ a single sole. There are a lot of options, heel hights, shapes, etc.

Have either of you ever looked into energy healing? I know some would find that to be a cooky idea but I doubt you are one of them.

I had a hard time standing for more than 30 minutes, regardless of the shoes I had on, after my foot surgeries. My feet would get bright red, hot and swell. The pediatrist who did the first surgery was not very gentle and he did some nerve damage. Actually, the man was a freak who talked 900 miles a minute because he was coked out of his mind. A fact we found out after he was arrested for selling cocaine from his practice. Anywho, a few years later I met a guy who was attending a holistic school and focusing on energy healing. When he heard about my problem he asked if he could give it a try. Why not? I had tried everything else. As soon as he started I could feel the heat flowing from my feet and into his hands. From that point on I only hurt when wearing heels. Much better!

True story, and it's supposed to get better with more sessions. I just had one freebie.

What type of foot surgery did you have?

Can you wear heels at all now?

Yeah I don't think never wearing heels is an option. You've still gotta live your life!

I get the bunion thing. My doctor was distractingly hot and so was his resident. And there I was in my workout clothes, no makeup and they were touching my feet. Oh, and no makeup for me is really rough because I have adult acne.

Fifi's suggestion is good, I think. I had an ex who got acupuncture on a muscle injury and it worked very well. I might try it for my plantar fasciitis (I call it p. fash for short because I love using cool abbrevs).

Wish I had some better suggestions for you. But I sympathize with your pain, even if that's all I have to offer!

PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.

Go Red Wings!

• SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    I like shoes from www.naturalizer.com.

They offer wide and double wide. I don't have feet problems, I don't think, but I have a hard time finding shoes that are comfortable. My feet prefer shoes with a square toe and thick heel. From the naturalizer website, I'm wearing the Fulton shoe and it's comfortable with slacks and dresses. I have another shoe similar to the Mallory.

I'm a heavy/hard walker though so maybe that's why I need a thick heeled shoe.
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I suffer from PF and tend to wear boots a lot when it's cooler. Boots tend to be wider fitting than shoes and have a larger toe box as long as you don't go in for the really pointy styles.

In regards to wearing heeled shoes - I tend to take a pair of flats out with me as well so I can swap them when they start hurting. I also can't drive in heels and some of the shoes I have I can't feel the pedals in which means I have to swap shoes in my car anyway. Other women I know who don't suffer from foot pain have to do one or both these things.

In regards to my PF it's exercise induced so stretching my calf muscles, rolling with a tennis ball, wearing a PF brace overnight on my worse foot and wearing insoles in my road running shoes keeps it in check. Constantly wearing heels or flats two days in a row can aggravate it which is why swapping shoes in the day is helpful.

I do have an older friend who was told by a doctor she needed surgery immediately when she complained about foot pain. I told her to go and see a sports physio first. I actually saw a sports podiatrist but both are use to dealing with PF. Also some sports physios do use acupuncture. People think sports therapists are for elite athletes but they are for anyone who wants to keep active whether it's just walking the dog.
    So you suggest not wearing flats two days in a row either? I mean what you're really saying is I need more shoes and I should go shoe shopping, yes? 😉

Go Red Wings!

• BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    @Mustangbunny you are suppose to alternate your shoes as it helps keep your feet healthy.

What type of foot surgery did you have?

Can you wear heels at all now?

I had a few plantar warts on the pad of one foot when I was 16. At that point they did not try any methods to get rid of them, at least my doc didn't, he removed a large portion of the pad of my foot. I was on the couch for over a month after that surgery. It was incredibly painful. The pad looks completely normal now but I could step on tacks in that particular area and never feel it. After that surgery I had extreme pain and swelling in both feet. More pain than I had before the surgery. I went to a new pediatrist and he was floored that the first never bothered to do x-rays on my feet. He did and discovered I had extra bones in both my big toes. I had those removed. They were free floating, a fairly good size, round, and had sharp barbs or briars on them, for lack of a better description. Insane! He said it's common in birds. Those did some nerve damage as well.

I can wear heels but I can't stand in them long at all. If it's a sit down event, I am good. Wedges, platforms, chunky or kitten heels have to do in all other situations. They do not bother me as bad.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I have never experienced pain like the first surgery. There was no way to close the area. It was a large open wound. I had to go to his office to have the dressings changed the first few times and then I had to remove them myself, scrub my foot with one of the rough sponges full of iodine, but Silvadene cream in it, and wrap it back up. That was better than the silver nitrate sticks he used to cauterize every time I went to his office. I swear my mom almost fainted the first time he did that.

ETA: I wish I would have kept one of the extra bones because they were pretty wild but I couldn't say no to the doc. As soon as he removed them his face lit up and you could hear a choir of angels singing. "Can I keep them!?!?" He was going to be the star at a few conventions.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Myradella3Myradella3 Posts: 2,481Registered Users
    Let's see, I have plantars faciitis, in-grown toe nails, and bunions. I've worn a boot but I can't forever. I have a very narrow heel.

Short of moving to Florida where I could wear open toe shoes and sandals year round, my podiatrist had an interesting suggestion. Consider wearing boots with a 1" or so heel. That's not too flat but the toe box is typically wider. I'm wore a pair from Born yesterday and had relatively little bunion pain.
    Myradella3 wrote: »
    Let's see, I have plantars faciitis, in-grown toe nails, and bunions. I've worn a boot but I can't forever. I have a very narrow heel.

Short of moving to Florida where I could wear open toe shoes and sandals year round, my podiatrist had an interesting suggestion. Consider wearing boots with a 1" or so heel. That's not too flat but the toe box is typically wider. I'm wore a pair from Born yesterday and had relatively little bunion pain.

I have several pairs of boots from Born and they are VERY comfy! And the calf widths tend to be wide which I love bc I have big calves. <3 <3 Born <3 <3

Most sensible flattish (1-2.5")shoes/boots work fine for me and anything open, no matter how high. Then it's hit or miss.

I love Born!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file