Anyone have a famous/well-connected friend or relative

spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
who your friends want to hit up for a favor/hook up/introduction? How do you handle that?

Comments

• CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    No one famous, but friends and colleagues are always asking about my parents when charity stuff (they do a lot with various charities) comes up and I just tell then they have their specific ones and that's who they donate too.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    No one famous, but friends and colleagues are always asking about my parents when charity stuff (they do a lot with various charities) comes up and I just tell then they have their specific ones and that's who they donate too.

Are they wealthy?
    Why do ppl ask you about that?

• BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Actually quite a few people I know or have met through friends and family are well connected.

Do I or we (as in the people I know) hit them up for favours? Only if the person the favour is for is 21 or under. Even then most of them if they meet the young person themselves offer to help directly if they can. The offers tend to be for work experience in different industries.

Funny thing is they are the age group who refuse to take the favour and have to be explicitly told to do so.

When their parents later find out that some person offered their kid some work experience and they turned it down, they go mad. Even more so when they find myself and their other friends'/relations were trying to get their kid to accept it.

I've basically told my young relations and my friends' kids who are teenagers, once they get over 21 people will stop offering to help you. This message has worked with some but not with others.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Not wealthy, but comfortable Id say. They have a lot of friends who are also very comfortable. They have a couple parties a year (Canada Day, a Christmas party, a skating/tobogganing party/Super Bowl) and I always invite friends, some of those being co-workers.

I've been asked if my parents would be interested in sponsoring kids teams, buying tables at charity nights, charity golf games, all kinds of stuff.

They are both dedicated to certain charities, so I just tell people that. The stuff like golf games or dinners/concerts I think they might be interested in Ill forward on.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    No. Not really. Not unless you count my dad once being know as the best banjo player in WNC. People were always asking if he gave lessons because they wanted their child to learn. He taught a few that are doing rather well in that genre of music. People always asked if he knew famous blue grass musicians (which he did and several came to our house). My friends just constantly asked him to play The Beverly Hillbillies theme song.

I know some actors, play writes, published authors, etc. One of my high school friends had a movie made based on one of his book series. I'm a character in one of the books. I get killed by zombies, but take several with me. I asked him to write me in. Haha.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sort of, if those who learn that my brother practices finance law and we used to work together and thus pepper and pester me and/or him with questions count. I would say he's accomplished and well-connected in his field, but certainly not famous (though for a time, thanks to his horrid ex-partner, possibly locally infamous).
  • fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    yes, an ex-boyfriend.
    in the end he has surrounded himself with people who have money and fame so that he doesn't feel used or having to deal with needy friends and family.
    (although i'd argue that his new rich friends will cut him off should his wealth decline)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file