Ditch the Gels...

Lady_CreoleLady_Creole Posts: 400Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hi, All Curlies...

I have decided to get rid of all types of "gels", even the natural kinds. I have used the DIY Flax Seed Gel, the KC Curling Custard, and SM CH Curling Gel Souffle and although I water them down, I still feel that "caste" at times when I touch my hair.

I never used gels and hair sprays/mousses when my hair was straight, [preferring my hair to be touchable and flowing]...and I still want my "touchable" hair.

I find I can just use the SM CH Curl and Shine Conditioner as a leave-in, [allow to dry a little], then lightly layer the "Curl Enhancing Smoothie", then the "Curl and Style Milk"; this still define my curls and my hair is soft and touchable when it dries.

Anyone else have success with defining their curls without the gels?
My hair is "exotic, beautiful and free",,,yeah, that be ME!!!
3B/C - Easy to straighten, [no heat ever/no protect. styling].

Low Porosity/Medium Density
Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
BC - 12/2012

I am a "Co-Wash/Finger Comb Lady!
Scalp Cleanser - SM ABS Purification Hair Masque
Co-wash - Tresemme Naturals
Hydration - SM CH
Curl & Style Milk
LOC - Organic Coconut Oil
Styler - SM CH Curl Smoothie
Deep Cond. - SM Yucca & Plantain Masque

Comments

• frcklsfrckls Posts: 528Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have been loving mousse to define my hair. I've never tried any of those boutique brands from US (too much hassle, I didn't cut my hair and have it curly to get more hassle), but the gels I've tried are too tacky. Really annoying. Plus, they seem to weigh down my hair and I will need to fuss further with root clippings.

Mousse on the other hand has been giving me defined volumized shiny soft curls without too much fuss. I've tried Suave Pro Captivating Curls Mousse and Paul Mitchell Sculpting Foam, and I love the first one the most.
    With Suave, I can just use Inecto as CO/RO/LI, while with PM, I need different LI.

I also quite like Not Your Mother's Kinky Moves Curl Defining Cream (what a mouthful). But it was nothing stellar and it's not readily available on ground.

My feeling towards gel is shared by FSG. But I do love okra gel. Pretty defined volumized shiny soft curls. I'm tempted to turn it into a curl cream-gel at some point, so I can skip LI.
    2B/C canopy & 2A/B underlayer
    coarse | low-normal porosity | normal elasticity | low-med density
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Clarify: Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, Citric acid rinse
    RO/LI: Jason Moisturizing 84% Aloe Vera / Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
    Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
    Treatment: H&B Wonder Oil + VCO, Honey-Cardamom-EVOO-Chamomile
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've only tried not using gel a couple of times (using a styling cream type thing instead) and my curls weren't as bouncy or, well, curly LOL. Plus there was a lot more frizz.

I'm a big gel gal and find after I SOTC my hair is always soft and bouncy and touchable. I can never get the same result with creamy products
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
    That's completely the opposite of me, BoticelliBrit! I hate how tacky gels feel and that just makes my hair frizzier. My hair needs a lot of lightweight slip. Mousses/foams have served me best thus far, other than okra gel.
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
  • MsPMsP Posts: 116Registered Users
    Hi, All Curlies...

I have decided to get rid of all types of "gels", even the natural kinds. I have used the DIY Flax Seed Gel, the KC Curling Custard, and SM CH Curling Gel Souffle and although I water them down, I still feel that "caste" at times when I touch my hair.

I never used gels and hair sprays/mousses when my hair was straight, [preferring my hair to be touchable and flowing]...and I still want my "touchable" hair.

I find I can just use the SM CH Curl and Shine Conditioner as a leave-in, [allow to dry a little], then lightly layer the "Curl Enhancing Smoothie", then the "Curl and Style Milk"; this still define my curls and my hair is soft and touchable when it dries.

Anyone else have success with defining their curls without the gels?

I am 100% with you Lady Creole. Gels, mouses and hair spray are for other people. I love touchable hair as opposed to feeling as if I have an artificial fiber on my head. Also, gels and mouses always dry my hair, whether they contain alcohols or not. They also require the use of shampoos to get the guck off of your hair. If you use nice emollients instead, you can just co wash and don't need to shampoo just to get all the gucky, gunky, hard coatings off of the hair.

If you are trying to grow out the hair to longer lengths, the emollient based creams and milks will aid and support healthier hair growth and length retention while the gels, mouses and lacquers will dry, flake cause snapping, breakage and unnecessary drying shampooing. All around, a far less hair friendly option for length retention imo.

Some need to use gels though in order to try to set and hold a curl pattern that they are trying to achieve.
    My Routine:
    Coconut oil drench the night before I co-wash
    then cowash and deep condition each time w/ Keracare Humecto, Joico Moisture Recovery and/or ApHogee 2min
    then usually airdry
    Grapeseed oil nightly

(no gel, mouse, or hair spray. My delicate, fine hair will tear if I even try to run my fingers through it with any of those. :angel9:)
    My go to leave ins are now: my regular conditioners listed above, gs oil, or PW77
  • SmilingElephantSmilingElephant Posts: 666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My hair's been growing just fine with gel. Sometimes I go without it but not too often. I've been using gel the whole time I've been curly... Almost 4 years and I'm waist length stretched.

So it all depends on the person.

I like it bc I can get multiple day hair with it. ☺

Sent from my LG-LG730 using CurlTalk App
    2yrs 7 months post relaxer/2 years and 11 months natural

Cleanse: SM Moisture Retention or Suave Naturals shampoos
    Co-Wash: Suave Naturals, L'Oreal EverCreme or EverCurl
    RO/Detangler: Tresseme Naturals:nemo:, GVPCB
    Leave-In: SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie, TN, GVPCB
    Styler: EcoStyler, GF Pure Clean gel, KCCC

Just discovering my hair likes protein! :dontknow:

:wav:
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    @BotticelliBrit it maybe the UK weather which makes gels easier to use here. As I get similar results to you. Creamy products only work in really dry air.

In regards to washing gels out - water soluble ones come out easily with just water or conditioner washing.
    Blueblood wrote: »
    @BotticelliBrit it maybe the UK weather which makes gels easier to use here. As I get similar results to you. Creamy products only work in really dry air.

In regards to washing gels out - water soluble ones come out easily with just water or conditioner washing.

Yes, Yes ! I have dry. curly hair. I do not think the air has anything to do with it but my dry hair does. I think that is part of the reason I dislike gels and prefer creams. milks. or simply leaving in conditioners with emollients. Gels make my hair look and feel drier. dull, flaky and generally undesirable. More importantly, my hair does tear and snap with gels while emollients sooth and protect my tresses. I agree that everyone's hair is totally different..
    My Routine:
    then cowash and deep condition each time w/ Keracare Humecto, Joico Moisture Recovery and/or ApHogee 2min
    then usually airdry
    Grapeseed oil nightly

(no gel, mouse, or hair spray. My delicate, fine hair will tear if I even try to run my fingers through it with any of those. :angel9:)
    My go to leave ins are now: my regular conditioners listed above, gs oil, or PW77
  • Lady_CreoleLady_Creole Posts: 400Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    frckls wrote: »
    I have been loving mousse to define my hair. I've never tried any of those boutique brands from US (too much hassle, I didn't cut my hair and have it curly to get more hassle), but the gels I've tried are too tacky. Really annoying. Plus, they seem to weigh down my hair and I will need to fuss further with root clippings.

Mousse on the other hand has been giving me defined volumized shiny soft curls without too much fuss. I've tried Suave Pro Captivating Curls Mousse and Paul Mitchell Sculpting Foam, and I love the first one the most.
    With Suave, I can just use Inecto as CO/RO/LI, while with PM, I need different LI.

I also quite like Not Your Mother's Kinky Moves Curl Defining Cream (what a mouthful). But it was nothing stellar and it's not readily available on ground.

My feeling towards gel is shared by FSG. But I do love okra gel. Pretty defined volumized shiny soft curls. I'm tempted to turn it into a curl cream-gel at some point, so I can skip LI.

Is "Suave Pro Captivating Curls Mousse" CG friendly?

Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk
    I've only tried not using gel a couple of times (using a styling cream type thing instead) and my curls weren't as bouncy or, well, curly LOL. Plus there was a lot more frizz.

I'm a big gel gal and find after I SOTC my hair is always soft and bouncy and touchable. I can never get the same result with creamy products

What is "SOTC"?

Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk
  • RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users Curl Neophyte

What is "SOTC"?

Scrunch out the crunch
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
    MsP wrote: »
    I am 100% with you Lady Creole. Gels, mouses and hair spray are for other people. I love touchable hair as opposed to feeling as if I have an artificial fiber on my head. Also, gels and mouses always dry my hair, whether they contain alcohols or not. They also require the use of shampoos to get the guck off of your hair. If you use nice emollients instead, you can just co wash and don't need to shampoo just to get all the gucky, gunky, hard coatings off of the hair.

If you are trying to grow out the hair to longer lengths, the emollient based creams and milks will aid and support healthier hair growth and length retention while the gels, mouses and lacquers will dry, flake cause snapping, breakage and unnecessary drying shampooing. All around, a far less hair friendly option for length retention imo.

Some need to use gels though in order to try to set and hold a curl pattern that they are trying to achieve.

Thanks! I agree...my hair doesn't look frizzy and feels so good! I love soft hair...

What "emollient based creams and milks" do you use?

PS...I think some think they "need" the gels to set/hold and should try it without, [like I did], and see if they REALLY need it.

Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk
    My hair's been growing just fine with gel. Sometimes I go without it but not too often. I've been using gel the whole time I've been curly... Almost 4 years and I'm waist length stretched.

So it all depends on the person.

I like it bc I can get multiple day hair with it. ☺

My thread was for those who don't or no longer use gels...it was not my intention to criticize those who use gels, just stating they are a preference not a necessity, [at least in my case].

I get 7 day hair since I started spritzing my hair at night with my style milk and purified water mixture, then pineapple it. Also, my hair is BSL stretched in less than 2 years.

Each person has to find what works for them...

Blessings!

Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk
  • Mimi2010Mimi2010 Posts: 189Registered Users
    I've always wanted to use something other than a gel for my WnG but I haven't found a product that I like. My hair is curly when it's first washed and conditioned but quickly frizzes up once it's dried if I don't use a gel to set it. I've also tried the CG method but didn't like that because my scalp itch so bad and I would get the white gunk under my nails with the CG method.
    frckls wrote: »

Is "Suave Pro Captivating Curls Mousse" CG friendly?
    Unfortunately, it is not CG-safe. But I love the result so much that I make it a staple in my routine. It's easily washed by my CO (it has cetrimonium chloride).
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Thanks! I agree...my hair doesn't look frizzy and feels so good! I love soft hair...

What "emollient based creams and milks" do you use?

PS...I think some think they "need" the gels to set/hold and should try it without, [like I did], and see if they REALLY need it.

I used to use plain conditioners with a bit of oil added to them like the method of Terri LaFlesh on tightlycurly.com. Now I found my new main leave in by accident. It is Tresemme Keratin Smooth 7 day heat activated treatment. I was using it as directed when you blow dry and flat iron the hair to keep it smooth. But then, one day on a fluke, I put it in my hair when I air dried it and Wo!!!! My hair was so smooth and frizz free I was amazed!! And to top it all off, it is soft and moisturized. So that is my go to now as a leave in at all times. It does have keratin conditioners in it and I LOVE how shiny and silky my hair is when I airdry with that in it. May use coconut or another oil on top of this.

Again, before I used this, I just followed KISS (keep it simple sister). I used Terri LaFlesh's method of using a heavy conditioner like Hello Hydration as a leave in, but I add oil to the conditioner I leave in. The amount and type of 100% oil you use is totally up to your own tastes. I for example would add about 1/5th or less oil to 4/5 or more conditioner in a big bottle. Others may only want to add a few spoonfuls of oil to their heavy conditioner. Some of the oils I like are warmed coconut and olive oil for this purpose. I have also made mixtures of pure shea butter with coconut and olive oil in the blender and added that mixture to a favorite conditioner as a leave in.

So those are the methods I have personally used with great success. These heavy conditioners with oil work well with curlformer sets and other sets like braiding, twists etc. as well as for air drying. These should only be used on wet or damp hair. Another solution that I have used is Prettywitty77 on youtube's pw77 moisturizer. It consists of water, Hello Hydration conditioner, a tiny bit of vegetable glycerine, all in a spray bottle. Shake well and spray that in the hair. May top it off with some coconut oil to seal. It worked wonders for Prettywitty77. Her hair is below tailbone length now and lovely. I hope this may help you
    Best wishes

PS Oh, another that I used to use YEARS ago was Wildroot Hair Groom Original
    31C59uP4gcL.jpg
    It is an oily cream that works wonders on dry curly hair. It leaves it utterly silky and shiny with a high gloss. Best used on wet hair. Wildroot contains lanolin which is very similar to human sebaceous oils. The shine on the hair from Wildroot is UNMATCHED! Excellent for those with tighter curls for unmatched sheen and silkiness. You owe it to yourself to try some if you have tight curls, thick hair and / or dry hair. Apply to wet hair only.

But again, you can make similar products yourself at home with your favorite conditioner and 100% natural oil. The sheen may not stand up to Wildroot with home products though unless you've got a source for lanolin. Thanks for reminding me of good old WILDROOT! I will order some on Amazon right now! Things like this are wonderful for growing the hair out and for length retention for me.
    My Routine:
    then usually airdry
    Grapeseed oil nightly

• wavycurlyria_87wavycurlyria_87 Posts: 78Registered Users
    If I want a more defined look, I will use gel… but I don't have to have it. If the gel is alcohol free and works well with my hair, I'm good. :) That's awesome that you found what works for you.
    Mimi2010 wrote: »
    I've always wanted to use something other than a gel for my WnG but I haven't found a product that I like. My hair is curly when it's first washed and conditioned but quickly frizzes up once it's dried if I don't use a gel to set it. I've also tried the CG method but didn't like that because my scalp itch so bad and I would get the white gunk under my nails with the CG method.

Yes, when you use items that are not approved on the CG list it will leave a build up which is why one has to shampoo.

I co-wash and use oils that absorb in the hair shaft, [not lay ON it which builds up], and only on my scalp before co-washing so I never have to "shampoo" my hair or scalp. Co-washing does just fine on both and it will be 2 years in December.

Blessings!

Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk
    That is a wonderful and informative video Lady Creole. I personally have used and enjoy coconut, olive, emu and argan from that list. I tried castor oil also but that one was a little too heavy for me. I will revisit it and try it mixed in with some of the others next time. Avocado is the only oil from the list I have not given a try yet.
    I generally use coconut, olive and or argan at least once or twice during each week as a leave in oil to nourish and protect the strands. I also do pre co-wash with coconut oil to minimize hygral fatigue. Coconut and argan are my current favorite oils to leave in.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FbbWtArQAg
    My Routine:
    then usually airdry
    Grapeseed oil nightly

• CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Posts: 590Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I recently ditched gels for mousse. My hair is fine & low-density so gel combated frizz but it still weighed down my hair too much. I like VOLUME and BOUNCE. Gel made my hair look crispy and droopy while mousse provides volume but isn't as great on the de-frizzing. I figure that one has to be sacrificed though.
    CG since Dec. 2013  B)
    3b/c ~ fine ~ high porosity ~ low density
    No-Poo: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Shampoo 
    RO: Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner 
    Stylers: Tresemme Flawless Curls Mousse & Extra Hold Hairspray 

My Wildroot came a few days ago and OMG. My hair had been looking crispy, dry, dull and a little weathered. I put a little bit all through out my hair and brushed it in. At first my hair felt very dewy but seemed a bit heavy and oily when the product was wet. After the product dried it became so silky, glossy and healthy looking with not a trace of frizz anywhere. Not a trace of oiliness either after it dried. A nice dewy, silky moist feeling remained. Oh and it has a nice sheen. AMAZING. All the crispiness, dullness and dryness have gone for now. I have found my hair's new best friend. It has been 2 days since I used it. I am not sure when I will feel the desire to use it again....maybe tomorrow ( the 3rd day) By the 2nd day the moist feeling dissipates a bit and a little bit of my hair's dryer quality and fluffiness returns. I had used just the tiniest amount through out all my hair the first evening, and set my hair over night in a few bantu knots. By the first morning, most of the excess weight of the product had gone and I woke up to luxurious, shiny, dewy hair. The hair was still not by any means fluffy. It was weighed down some but I like that. It was a very controlled sleek, silky, shiny look. If your hair is not dry I would not advise you try it. Also, if your curls tend to droop, I would not advise this either. This is great for those with curls that are naturally very firm or tend to have too much shrinkage even. It is fine for dry haired wavies too as long as you are not looking for tighter waves or curls. I did the bantu knots in fact because I do not have any curls anymore after my BKT and I felt the need for a bit of body after applying this product. The set with bantu knots just gave me a little twirlinesss to counter the silky droop the product gave me on my thin, fine hair. The result was a nice balance of a luxurious wave but still quite silky, dewy, moist and shiny after the product dried in knots over night. It reminds me of a 1940's actress' hair. I could shake it around and tousle it up a lot to get a more current look, but I like it like this. At least it was not dry, crispy, frizzy or fried looking. It looks very healthy and shiny. I will update on how it works long term. I used to use it for years and it always made my hair look very silky. Bear in mind I only wash my hair every 7-14 days.
    My hair is fine, and thin but very dry. I have no gel, hairspray or mouse in my hair. From now on I will stick with Wildroot alone for the most part. I have a few other leave ins that are also trusted like pw77 and the Tresemme. Now Wildroot is back in my arsenal also.

PS: In the 50s, I believe this had been marketed to a European male audience for a wet, slicked back look. Think the tv show My Three Sons and Leave it to Beaver. They had marketed these products like Bryle cream as " a little dab will do ya." And it is true that fine, thin hair like mine needs a very tiny amount. I could see that thick hair could stand quite a bit though. I will be buying the large 15oz bottles because I will be using it quite regularly. I highly recommend this product for those who desire what it has to offer.
    My Routine:
    then usually airdry
    Grapeseed oil nightly

• caramix3acaramix3a Posts: 462Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Not for me - they'll have to pry the LA Looks gel from my cold little hands, as well as the occasional use of Suave Captivating Curls Mousse with it. My hair, 2c-3a definitely benefits from styling products, especially a hard-hold gel. Without it, no matter how I treat my hair(sulfates, vs. no-sulfates, silicones vs. no-silicones) or have it cut for that matter(although I do spend for my genius of a hair cutter with whom I've stuck for 8 years now)my hair gets poofy, too-soft and not as defined as I like it. As far as crunch from gel, I SOTC after it's dry. As far as products building up, a clarifying every couple of weeks takes care of that for me, followed by a good conditioner of course.:)
    That is a wonderful and informative video Lady Creole. I personally have used and enjoy coconut, olive, emu and argan from that list. I tried castor oil also but that one was a little too heavy for me. I will revisit it and try it mixed in with some of the others next time. Avocado is the only oil from the list I have not given a try yet.
    I generally use coconut, olive and or argan at least once or twice during each week as a leave in oil to nourish and protect the strands. I also do pre co-wash with coconut oil to minimize hygral fatigue. Coconut and argan are my current favorite oils to leave in.
    Ayurvedic Indian Head Massage - YouTube

Castor Oil...ugh! {{{Sorry}}}

I have to use Olive Oil sparingly because alone it is too heavy for my hair, [even though it absorbs into hair shaft].

I love coconut oil...:blob2:

Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk
  • SmilingElephantSmilingElephant Posts: 666Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    No need to neckroll.

I was just stating that I've had no adverse effects with gels. I have recently myself been trying to go gel-less but i find my hair fares better with it especially in the climate I live in.

I do apologize for the misapplication of my post but I was simply sharing a thought of gel in a thread about...gel. 😐

Au revoir!

2yrs 7 months post relaxer/2 years and 11 months natural

Cleanse: SM Moisture Retention or Suave Naturals shampoos
    Co-Wash: Suave Naturals, L'Oreal EverCreme or EverCurl
    RO/Detangler: Tresseme Naturals:nemo:, GVPCB
    Leave-In: SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie, TN, GVPCB
    Styler: EcoStyler, GF Pure Clean gel, KCCC

Just discovering my hair likes protein! :dontknow:

:wav:
  • SpecklaSpeckla Posts: 179Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
  • LadylandLadyland Posts: 27Registered Users
    Gels really don't suit my hair. Not sure why exactly - it sets OK after a lot of SOTC but it seems to glue my hair together - lots of detangling, even when I use very light and natural gels. Mousse seems to suit my hair really well but after a while, my hair can get dry. Oil does nothing for me. I find creams or conditioners suit my hair best and I'll use mousse if I wanna dress up the tresses! Everyone's different so you've got to do what works for you I think
  • CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Posts: 590Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Just when I wasn't 100% sure if gels were worth ditching, I used some last night and my hair is a crispy, crunchy stringy mess. Ugh. I'll have to cowash this out when I get home.
    CG since Dec. 2013  B)
    3b/c ~ fine ~ high porosity ~ low density
    No-Poo: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Shampoo 
    RO: Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner 
    Stylers: Tresemme Flawless Curls Mousse & Extra Hold Hairspray 

• curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I can use some creams but using gel my style stays longer.
    No need to neckroll.

I was just stating that I've had no adverse effects with gels. I have recently myself been trying to go gel-less but i find my hair fares better with it especially in the climate I live in.

I do apologize for the misapplication of my post but I was simply sharing a thought of gel in a thread about...gel. 😐

Au revoir!

No neck roll here, or intention to offend...I did say it all depends on the person...

We cool...:laughing6:

Mid Width/BSL-stretched/
    BC - 12/2012

Hydration - SM CH
    Curl & Style Milk

Leave a Comment