Interview in a Public Place

eveumeveum Posts: 744Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Hey guys, I've been mailing out CV's to business places in the hope of getting a job as I'm unemployed at the moment but studying at College. I just received a phone call from one of the employers I mailed to and he said he's looking to recruit someone early 2015. He then said because his office is a bit out of the way to have an informal interview in a Coffee Shop in the local shopping centre. I have never had an interview in a public space before and it kind of threw me off a bit.

I know that he is a legit business man and his company is too. He gave me his FSA (financial services register) number to show that he is registered with an outside body.

I am a very cautious person and always plan for a worse case scenario. I am a young female and he is a man who from voice alone I'm guessing is 40+. The cafe I'm referring to is right in the middle of a busy shopping centre, I know it is a public place but is this normal? At the time all I could think of was stranger danger. But after reflection I feel right now that I am worrying about nothing but I don't know. My LD boyfriend is planning to come see me that weekend and I asked if he would accompany me to the interview. Obviously not sitting with me but just keeping an eye out. I don't want to seem like a complete weirdo with my bf sitting on an opposite table like some sort of stealth mission. Is this excessive? Have any of you been interviewed in a public place?

Low Shampoo: Aveda Be Curly Shampoo
Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture/ Perfectly Undone
Treatments: SM Black Castor Oil Masque/ Packet Gelatine
Leave in: Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost

Between Waist and Hip Length (stretched), 2C with 2B roots

Comments

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    eveum wrote: »
    Hey guys, I've been mailing out CV's to business places in the hope of getting a job as I'm unemployed at the moment but studying at College. I just received a phone call from one of the employers I mailed to and he said he's looking to recruit someone early 2015. He then said because his office is a bit out of the way to have an informal interview in a Coffee Shop in the local shopping centre. I have never had an interview in a public space before and it kind of threw me off a bit.

I know that he is a legit business man and his company is too. He gave me his FSA (financial services register) number to show that he is registered with an outside body.

I am a very cautious person and always plan for a worse case scenario. I am a young female and he is a man who from voice alone I'm guessing is 40+. The cafe I'm referring to is right in the middle of a busy shopping centre, I know it is a public place but is this normal? At the time all I could think of was stranger danger. But after reflection I feel right now that I am worrying about nothing but I don't know. My LD boyfriend is planning to come see me that weekend and I asked if he would accompany me to the interview. Obviously not sitting with me but just keeping an eye out. I don't want to seem like a complete weirdo with my bf sitting on an opposite table like some sort of stealth mission. Is this excessive? Have any of you been interviewed in a public place?

Interviews at restaurants are normal. Don't bring your boyfriend.

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    It is normal, but not something that happens on every occasion. If you want to bring someone, enter at different times and have them sit across the café from you. If it's a very public place, I think you are pretty safe. :)
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    This is becoming more common I think. I haven't done it, but know people who have.

I would say your boyfriend could still come, but like it was stated before, have him enter at a different time and sit across the room.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I think the boyfriend being there would be a mistake. People notice things and inevitably there will be a look exchanged, or even if he is just watching you. It could throw things. Also, you don't want to added stress of him sitting nearby. If it's a pretty big shopping area, he could wander around and go into shops nearby - without actually sitting in the coffee shop with you.
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,182Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I find this odd. Why is his office "a bit out of the way"? I would think you would want to see where you would be working. How long has he been in business?

I have heard of interviews conducted in formal restaurants when many people are involved and the organization wants to see how the candidate conducts him/herself in a social situation, but this doesn't sound like that.

Maybe he is just an oddball. I'm more concerned with the oddness of the situation than any danger, even though I am a very cautious person.

Do you know anything more about his business? Is this a "one-person" office? Have you checked him and the business on line? Is there a Facebook page? This just sounds weird to me. Does the business have an HR department? Do you have a copy of what the job entails? Just sounds kind of half a**ed to me.

Keep sending out those resumes, don't pin your hopes on this one. :confused3:That said, I don't think it is dangerous to meet in a public place and if he realizes your boyfriend is there and objects then he is foolish. A normal person would understand your concerns.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I've had interviews in public places, usually for retail jobs.

My current job was at a coffee shop. It was for a previous employer, but I would be moving out west. The vp was in Ontario on business and we met at a convenient place to both of us.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,182Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    That's interesting, CC. Maybe I am behind the times and/or maybe it depends on the type of business. I've worked primarily in nonprofit and usually (not always) was formally interviewed and tested by HR before meeting the person I would be working for. Maybe retail and other types of businesses are less formal.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    DaniGirl88 wrote: »
    This is becoming more common I think. I haven't done it, but know people who have.

It is becoming very common which I was not aware of until I saw someone talking about informal interviews on this board. My last interview was formal/standard and 11 years ago so I am a bit out of the loop. After that I started hearing more stories about them. Several employers would rather keep the first meeting casual and then show the work place in a second meeting if all goes well.

http://workbloom.com/interview/interview-types-best-way-approach-informal-interview.aspx

Do not be nervous or scared. This is supposed to be more relaxed so you can breathe a bit easier and they can get a better feel for your personality.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    curlypearl wrote: »
    That's interesting, CC. Maybe I am behind the times and/or maybe it depends on the type of business. I've worked primarily in nonprofit and usually (not always) was formally interviewed and tested by HR before meeting the person I would be working for. Maybe retail and other types of businesses are less formal.

I think maybe because I had worked for the company previously and his brother directly.

Their HR was pretty tight and I don't think many interviews went that way.

The brothers went off on their own and opened their own company and I still work for them. We have no HR policy and things are certainly different lol
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • eveumeveum Posts: 744Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for the replies guys..I hadn't heard of this type of interview until today so I too think it's a bit odd. Being surrounded by people and trying to come across as employable is the exact opposite of a more 'relaxed' environment to me. I also don't like coffee.

I think I just got a bit worried. But now that I think of it. I have recently had an interview through the same process of sending out resumes and that time it was just one guy in an office! I never thought anything about it at the time and he was lovely but looking at the two situations now, surely a public place is a lot safer. I think I'll leave my bf to wander around the shops for a bit and then I'll text him when I'm done so we can meet up again.

The thing is that I've sent about 60 CV's out to accounting/finance companies in my area that I could easily travel to, and 90% of the time they are very small local businesses. I have had a few people reply saying they're just a one person business or a husband and wife team who aren't ready to expand. So It's understandable to me that his office would be out of the way, in a residential area. This all being said I am still thrilled to get some positive response from posting letters out to random companies.

Low Shampoo: Aveda Be Curly Shampoo
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture/ Perfectly Undone
    Treatments: SM Black Castor Oil Masque/ Packet Gelatine
    Leave in: Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
    Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
    Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost

Between Waist and Hip Length (stretched), 2C with 2B roots
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ^ That is good!

I think the casual interview approach is pretty cool. Maintain professionalism but don't bother with stuffy. Not bad, and a hood prep for a call back.

I think people were talking about them in a thread about odd interviews. In the mid 90's I had an interview in a warehouse, in the middle of no where, that had a large lobby and massive conference room. It was supposed to be an art division of a popular company that puts out CD's. I was sitting at a huge board table with 2 men who looked like Penn and Teller sitting at the other end. They proceeded to tell me to feel free to bring in coke, crank, pot, LSD, X, special k, liquor... Anything but heroin. They were recovering heroin addicts but still regularly used every other substance known to man. If I brought in heroin, I would be fired on the spot. Still have no idea what all the job duties were because they only wanted to talk about having a party. After that, I figured I could breeze thru any interview. It might have seemed a little less strange in a coffee shop. Maybe not. It was all together weird. Anyway, I don't worry about following rules or interview coaching tips. Never say this... Never say that... Never say never and go with your gut.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you work from home - which a lot of heads of small companies now do - then you can't invite others there to be interviewed or work.

Some of the smaller companies I've worked for have hired office or desk space as needed. So once they get workers they hire office space/desk space. However interviews have been done in hotel restaurants, coffee shops or hired meeting rooms.

Men tend to prefer the former two to do interviews in with women as they are public spaces.
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,155Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I've seen a lot of interviews being conducted in cafe's in recent times, more often than not they've been in food malls or cafe's that are just open in the middle of shopping centres. I would hate it personally, but it does seem quite common here these days.
    3b in South Australia.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Personally, I would be a lot less concerned w/ an interview in a public place and much more concerned w/ working for a business where I would be the only employee. But that's just me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file