Less curl tightness during fall

FimuFimu Posts: 322Registered Users Curl Neophyte
Does you also notice that your curls are more loose during autumn/winter?
Do you think/notice that the loosening may (also) be caused by longer duration of air-drying?

My curls are already more loose/weighed-down on 2nd day, although that's okay for me--good clumping is more important for me :p.

Comments

• MsPMsP Posts: 116Registered Users
    Yes, I notice my hair reverts tighter during the Summer time. And yes it is much easier for me to keep my hair straight, almost without effort during the Fall and Winter. For me it is the humidity during Summer which reinforces curls and causes the hair to revert from the desired style constantly. That is why I find myself doing the Brazilian Keratin Treament more often during the Summer. I can slack off on them during the Winter and still be OK.

For me this seasonal difference is obvious because when I go outside during the Summer time, my hair often gets dripping wet within a matter of minutes in the heat. So I can not have ANY type of hair style since my baby fine hair gets drenched with perspiration within minutes of stepping outside during the Summer time. The hair then is soaked in scalp salts and frizzes horribly as it air dries. It is a disaster. Furthermore, if I wanted any kind of fullness, that all goes out of the window when my hair goes flat to my head with sweat. Then it stands up with frizz as it air dries with no style whatsoever. Total nightmare for me during Summer. I do find that the coating of the BKT seems to make the hair more resistant to wetting from sweat and also keeps it from shrinking up. It tends to be more sweat resistant with a keratin coating and also stays smoother easier. I do not have that problem during the rest of the year even without keratin treatments thank goodness.
    My Routine:
    Coconut oil drench the night before I co-wash
    then cowash and deep condition each time w/ Keracare Humecto, Joico Moisture Recovery and/or ApHogee 2min
    then usually airdry
    Grapeseed oil nightly

(no gel, mouse, or hair spray. My delicate, fine hair will tear if I even try to run my fingers through it with any of those. :angel9:)
    My go to leave ins are now: my regular conditioners listed above, gs oil, or PW77
  • FimuFimu Posts: 322Registered Users Curl Neophyte
  • russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users
    I DEFINITELY notice my curls loosening in the cooler months. I have to use wayyy more moisturizing products in the winter. I don't mind as much because I try to keep them up in braids or buns for the protection of the ends.
    2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
    Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
    Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
    Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
  • heartincloverheartinclover Posts: 33Registered Users
    my hair panics every time I clarify it, especially in the winter. I usually have to spend a day or two trying a few different deep conditioning treatments/hair masks/hot oil treatments. I'd suggest you try some moisture intensive treatments (more than usual) and see if that helps. I make an egg/olive oil/honey/coconut oil mask if my hair is fully on the struggle curl bus. If not, I do a coconut/olive hot oil treatment, followed by any conditioner I have on hand while the oil is still in my hair. I usually leave these on for at least an hour, and if my hair is still struggling I repeat the process. Keep in mind that I bleach my hair from a natural level 2 almost black to level 10/11 to get it light enough for the silver color I us, so I normally need extra moisture and repair than most people.
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Yes, goodness yes, wayyy less curl in the winter. Now that I know a bit more about products and styling I think I'll be joining you officially on the 3s board during the summer time. But I'm a winter wavy for sure. My hair also stops clumping and goes into ramen noodles. I need more moisture and harder holding gels. With the harder hold I can become a winter 2c/3. But it won't happen naturally, that's for sure. I'm not sure whether air drying duration has anything to do with it since I diffuse. If I use higher speeds and heat my hair will curl more and lower speeds will pull the curl out. So I imagine so.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users
    Definitely less curl in lower dews, sort of lazier curls that are less springy if that makes sense? I can't survive with wet hair for hours in the winter, so diffusing at least part of the way is necessary. It didn't cause me any trouble last winter.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • WurlyLoxWurlyLox Posts: 4,858Registered Users
    Yeah, it's the low dew points causing the problems. You can find a lot about that right here or check out some of the blogs such as LiveCurly/LiveFree. I've found her advice about avoiding products with propylene glycol, panthenol/vitamin B5, glycerin, and honey helpful (click on Understanding Dewpoints under Articles int he sidebar on the right). I found just about everything I relied on the rest of the year has at least one of those.

I knew that, but had gotten away from it and revisited her blog to refresh my memory before I washed my hair Monday. Afterwards, I went back to KCCC for the first time in a good long while, topped with Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel - these were the only products I already had that fit the bill. I never particularly cared for the Jessicurl gel before, so I'm glad maybe now it won't go to waste, LOL!

Even though I was unable to let my hair get bone dry before I had to SOTC, my curls were, and still are, strong and bouncy. I have a little frizz, and they aren't quite as defined as when I can let it really dry. But, hey, that was Monday and it's now Thursday afternoon, so I didn't do too badly! Very good compared to how mopey it's been the past few weeks.

Now I also need to do a protein treatment and deep conditioner - it's been way too long on both. No wonder my hair's been unhappy!
    2C/3A/3B - modified CG - fairly fine now, normal/low porosity/normal elasticity

Current Main Rotation: MG217 medicated or Aim2Health 'poos for scalp, Elucence cond., Spiral Solutions Protein & Deeply Decadent Cond., CJCCCC reg or lite,CJ Pattern Pusha,, Giovanni LA Hold Hair Spritz + lots more, sporadically

HG Method: Super Soaker + Smasters-ing, brief upside down diffusing w/360o diffuser then clips/clamps & air dry. Newly gray - stopped my henna glosses!

www.fotki.com/auntnett

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file