Henna Convert Here

N2waterdogsN2waterdogs Registered Users Posts: 9
I tried Henna for the first time 2 days ago and I love my hair! I used Karishma Natural Henna I mixed it with I can of Coconut Milk, let it sit overnight and it was the consistency of pudding, no grit whatsoever. Rinsed well co-washed with Suave Natural Coconut Condish, KKNT, CSCK, diffused due to lack of time. My 3b, low porosity medium brown hair looks amazing, deep rich Auburn, covered gray great so it appears like I have some highlights as it is lighter on the gray roots. Shiny, no loosening of curl, and the bonus is my hair feels stronger and not dry. Dry was a big concern for me as I have dry hair that tends to have a frizz halo. Frizz is better.
This is going to be a monthly routine for me!

Comments

• N2waterdogsN2waterdogs Registered Users Posts: 9
    there is a YouTube video Henna for beginners, the gal uses full fat milk in her mix, since I didn't have any I just figured coconut milk would do, and the added benefit was a creamy pudding texture easy to rinse out. I've cond washed each morning and it's been great!
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    Yay, another henna-er! Depending upon the lawsone %, leaving it on overnight isn't a necessity. I use Rajasthani Twilight and can take it off after 45 mins and it covers grays beautifully. I like mine with warm green tea - takes 10 mins to prepare, and 45 mins to sit. :)
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • RochelleLYRochelleLY Registered Users Posts: 3
    On this website (caresforhairs.com/hennahairdyes) you can find information on henna hair dye that can be an interesting read! There is also a nice color chart that allows you to see how your hair will look with a certain type of dye. They provide reviews on a variety of henna hair dye brands and it is easy to browse since they organize it by color!
    Let me know what you think!
  • HtBlackHtBlack Registered Users Posts: 292
    I finally could convert my mother to henna a few days ago, too. I'm glad you like it! Do you have any before/after pictures, I'm curious... <3

I don't know for sure, but maybe using coconut milk made the henna feel less drying? I never used it.
    A 2C, wishfully thinking of being 3a. Sometimes I get there. CG since October 2013, Eurocurly (just for a few months more!), completely low-porosity now. SBL, wanting elbow length.

--
    Routine:
    CW-LI: Garnier Ultra Doux (Cocoa+Coconut Oil/Mango+Tiaré) or my own products.
    DC: Biofficina Toscana Maschera Nutriente Protettiva, or my own product.
    Homemade FSG, L'Oreal Styling Gel.
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    I've always used homemade coconut milk in my henna mixes. Makes it a million times easier to wash out (I didn't add it once… big mistake). Also moisturizes the hair and helps counteract the dryness (and I love drinking the leftover milk!). I may add fenugreek to the mix next time.
    @sixelamy, I was considering buying the rajasthani twilight. I used to use the copper-y one, but now that I do all these treatments on my hair (and have more product) it wasn't taking the color. Shorter time on the hair is a plus (I thought it had to be an hour), so thanks for the heads up. :)

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    naturecat wrote: »
    @sixelamy, I was considering buying the rajasthani twilight. I used to use the copper-y one, but now that I do all these treatments on my hair (and have more product) it wasn't taking the color. Shorter time on the hair is a plus (I thought it had to be an hour), so thanks for the heads up. :)

I guess it depends on your hair. My hair has always taken dyes very well. Sometimes I will leave it on for as little as 30 mins and get the same result. Your henna may have not had a very high lawsone % to take very well. Raj Twilight is on the higher side of most hennas, but definitely not the highest. It also has a bright copper tone, which is why I use amla and indigo.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights