HELP! Don't know what to do with my hair!

CurlyBilaCurlyBila Posts: 1Registered Users
Hello everybody (huge post)! ;)

I'm Bila from Brazil. I've been natural for three years now and since trying to figure out which techniques works better for my hair.
I don't even know for sure which type my hair is, I think it is 3A/3B and it's high density, low porosity with some medium porosity (my hair hates protein, keratin and gel) and coarse with a little medium width. Follow some pics.

My routine is wash my hair with shampoo (I couldn't find any sulfate free shampoos at my country yet), conditioner, Olive Oil, Leave in for curly hair. I try to use hydrating and emolient ingredients because my hair does not like anything like protein, colagen and keratin.

No matter what I do it's always full of frizz. I tried no poo, low poo, LOC, Curly Girl method, Teri LaFlesh method and nothing really helps me.:dontknow:

I'm about to give up and get back to relaxer, really... You guys are my last resorce and HOPE. I really don't want to give up but I feel I'm running out of strength. PLEASE HELP ME!!

Comments

• kyahailkyahail Posts: 67Banned Users
    Have you tried shea butter? Shea weighs down the hair so I doesn't look so poofy, have you also tried finger curling with some gel? (Make sure it doesn't have alcohol)
  • MsPMsP Posts: 116Registered Users
    your hair looks very good. I would suggest you try to use conditioner instead of shampoo to wash. Other than that, and using shea butter with oil in it on wet hair, I actually think it looks fine. You might also want to try a leave in with water and glycerine in it. You can mix a little vegetable glycerin in water and spray it in your hair. It will make it stay moist and feel soft. I understand your not wanting to use the protein/gel leave in products as it would make it thicker, hard, dry and dull.
    I see definition in your curls, they have sheen. I like your hair a lot. it is not bad at all. So try to replace your shampoo with conditioner for a cleanser and look for or make a glycerine and water leave in spray for it to keep a moist feel.
    My Routine:
    Coconut oil drench the night before I co-wash
    then cowash and deep condition each time w/ Keracare Humecto, Joico Moisture Recovery and/or ApHogee 2min
    then usually airdry
    Grapeseed oil nightly

(no gel, mouse, or hair spray. My delicate, fine hair will tear if I even try to run my fingers through it with any of those. :angel9:)
    My go to leave ins are now: my regular conditioners listed above, gs oil, or PW77
  • kyahailkyahail Posts: 67Banned Users
    She said she already tried no poo tho
  • Selena_MSelena_M Posts: 26Registered Users
    Hi! I feel you on the frizz struggle! Personally, there were times I thought I had frizz and it was just breakage, so a trim might help. But otherwise, here are my suggestions:
    If you're not too concerned with CG-friendly products, you could try going back to silicones OR use heavier stylers like waxes and pomades.

You mentioned using olive oil, which if you use too much, can cause frizz because the hairs are excessively sticking to one another.

Also, leaving in conditioner (rather than rinsing out and adding back in) can be helpful.

You could already be doing this, but maybe try using a satin cap or pillowcase at night.

I have no idea if any of these suggestions can help you, but I sincerely hope you can find something that works so you don't have to go back to the relaxers!
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Your hair looks like it needs a little more definition, it still looks good. Since you don't have access to nonsulfate shampoo, use a lighter conditioner as shampoo. I would stay away from glycerin because I assume Brazil is humid. Glycerin isn't good in humid or dry climates.

I would recommend using a rinse out conditioner as your leave in conditioner. Your hair looks like it needs a lot of moisture. Finding the right conditioner is trial and error. I would then add a little coconut oil and then put a little gel on top. Let it air dry or put it in a bun or braid and you should have more definition.

It takes time to figure out your routine, but you seem to be on the right track.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • bmxoxobmxoxo Posts: 4Registered Users
    Your hair is SO BEAUTIFUL.
    My tips:
    -try using a oil like coconut oil after your leave in then seal it with a light gel or moisturizing creme (a little goes a long way) I recommend Camile rose moisture butter.
    -wash hair in warm water but rinse out conditioner and deep conditioner with COLD water. This will help with the frizz
    - DON"T TOUCH WET HAIR. Friction when hair is wet is a HUGE factor that created frizz.
    -Deep condition once per week
    -Do apple cider and water rinses on your hair once per week
    -Co wash once per week! Build up on hair causes frizz, and do a deep cleanse once per month.
    -DO YOUR HAIR IS SMALL SECTIONS AND APPLY PRODUCT EVENLY THROUGHOUT YOUR HAIR. This is a BIG one!!! If you don't do this you will get frizz like no other. Take small sections and deep conditon you hair and comb it through with a wide tooth comb. Then rinse and take small sections and apply your leave in, oil and sealant.
    -APPLY YOUR LEAVE IN,OIL, and SEALANT ON SOAKING WET HAIR.Allowing your hair to dry before applying product is one of the biggest causes of frizz.

Hope I could help.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file