How much time do you spend on your hair?

robynmprobynmp Posts: 75Registered Users
I'm just wondering how much time everyone spends on their hair? Per week? Per day?

I spend about 1-1 1/2 hours on it once a week (wash day!), less then hour on it on the days I co-wash, and like 2 minutes on my second day hair.

What about you guys?
Fine, 2c-3a, high porosity, high density, bleached ends.

Hair hates glycerin

Comments

• curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    About an hour and a half once a week on wash day. My wash and goes last that long. No refreshing in between.
  • CafshaCafsha Posts: 5Registered Users
    takes me about 5 minutes of shower de-tangling, and I leave the moisturiser in while I shower, so another 5 minutes, then 20 minutes of applying curl smoothie to finger curl.

On the next few days, I just spray with water and go.

I guess that's half an hour for wash day!

Beats the days when I used to take 1 hour just to sit down flat ironing.
  • CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Posts: 590Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I only style my hair 2x a week (wash day). Washing, conditioning & styling takes about 45 minutes. On non-wash days, I spritz a little bit of water on my hair to revive the product and that takes less than a minute.
    CG since Dec. 2013  B)
    3b/c ~ fine ~ high porosity ~ low density
    No-Poo: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Shampoo 
    RO: Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner 
    Stylers: Tresemme Flawless Curls Mousse & Extra Hold Hairspray 

• Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Wash, condition & detangling (while showering) and styling products is normally 30. I'm doing other things in that time frame too but it's a safe guess. I plop around 30 minutes. After that I use a t shirt or microfiber towel to get a bit more water out and wherever it lands when I flip back over is how it stays. I might add a bit of product if needed or occasionally throw in some clips. Air drying takes forever. If I factor that in it's an additional 8-10 hours. If I use a hair dryer I do it in stages and it normally takes well over an hour.

I do that 2 to 3 times a week. 2.5 or 10 hours each time. I air dry as much as I can but it's not always handy when I work day shifts or in the winter.

Non wash days I wake up and go. I may finger comb and add a bit more moisture. If it's beyond help I throw it in a bun. I never seem to have time to refresh and play with it.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • frcklsfrckls Posts: 528Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    My shower lasts for 30 minutes on wash days, 2-3x a week, and around 50 minutes on clarifying day, which happens pretty rare thus far, about 1-2x a month.

I haven't gotten myself a hairdryer so I airdry and it takes me 4-5 hours to have my hair fully dried. I can go without root clipping with the right products , so I can just start my things with wet hair.

On none wash days, I spend probably 1-2 minutes to dampen my curls with water to refresh them. No special product. 5 minutes if I have to reset some parts.

I'm thinking to start some lightening treatment which will add around 3-4 hours 1x a week.
    2B/C canopy & 2A/B underlayer
    coarse | low-normal porosity | normal elasticity | low-med density
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Clarify: Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, Citric acid rinse
    RO/LI: Jason Moisturizing 84% Aloe Vera / Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
    Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
    Treatment: H&B Wonder Oil + VCO, Honey-Cardamom-EVOO-Chamomile
  • eveumeveum Posts: 744Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oh my word. You guys are so lucky. 😟
    I feel like the odd one out. It still takes me 60 minutes to comb through my hair and believe me thats an improvement, it used to take like 2 hours plus when I used to comb it dry (thinking of that makes me cringe now). I wash and comb once a week only though.

20 minutes application of conditioner and olive oil
    60 minutes comb detangling
    5 minute rinse
    30 minute application of protein if I need it
    15 minute shampoo
    20 minute towel scrunching and application of leave in and gel.
    30 minutes of diffusing.

All in all it takes about 3 hours on wash day. :/ 5 minute spritz and application of more leave in or curl refresher on every other day. That averages out at 30 minutes a day.

Low Shampoo: Aveda Be Curly Shampoo
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture/ Perfectly Undone
    Treatments: SM Black Castor Oil Masque/ Packet Gelatine
    Leave in: Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
    Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
    Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost

Between Waist and Hip Length (stretched), 2C with 2B roots
    Well, eveum, you have long hair, and, from what I've seen in your picture, a lot of it. When I had long hair (waist-length dry, TBL wet) pre-CG, I used to spend 2 hours to wash and style. I did blow-dry, though. When I started my thesis (I had to do one for my Bachelor degree) and an internship, I just thought I have no time to deal with that, so I started hacking my hair off. It started from shoulder-length and I finally had a pixie at one point. I've been loving the lightweight and styling simplicity of it, so I'll never have hair past shoulder again, I think. But trust me, your hair is gorgeous!
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
    Thank you for saying so Frckls! My hair is currently waist length when stretched, and thats how I'd like to keep it. I don't think I could deal with it if it were any longer! It does take a long time but i'm happy the results, I'm continuously shaving off minutes from my wash day routine and making it more efficient. I've been mod cg for over a year now but i'm still learning. :)

Hey there's always room for improvement, no? I used to like putting my hair in a bun and people would think I curled my hair when I left my hair down. LOL. I loved the compliments but trying to untangling my hair and waiting for it to dry off always made me want to cry.

If you're keeping it, you've got my full support. It's really beautiful, you must be really proud!
    (by GoosefootPrints)

• DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Maybe 10 minutes every day....if it's not cooperating. If so, 5 minutes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• noodlynoodly Posts: 161Banned Users
  • curlyveeceecurlyveecee Posts: 1Registered Users
    Wash days take about thirty minutes. I apply oil, sulfate-free shampoo, rinse, use a deep protein-condition while I do the rest of my shower stuff, rinse, and then apply a conditioner that I leave in! I have relatively short hair though - collar bone length when wet. A little time in there for combing out and squishing out water with a t-shirt.

It might take 5-10 minutes if all I want to do that is wet and lightly condition my hair to put in a braid or bun. I only wet it if I want to be smooth looking, and other days I'll spend like 30 seconds putting it into a bun when I get out of bed.

I'm relatively low maintenance! :thumbleft: Hope it stays that way!
  • curlydevicurlydevi Posts: 9Registered Users
    Not as much as I likely should...maybe 15 mins daily.

I do a full wash (shampoo & deep condition( whenever I feel it's necessary. Of course, it takes me much longer then...
  • MsPMsP Posts: 116Registered Users
    I spend a few minutes per day parting my hair and combing.

2-3 minutes per day to comb and apply argan oil
    20 minutes every 2 weeks for conditioning
    2 hours every 4 months for BKT
    My Routine:
    Coconut oil drench the night before I co-wash
    then cowash and deep condition each time w/ Keracare Humecto, Joico Moisture Recovery and/or ApHogee 2min
    then usually airdry
    Grapeseed oil nightly

(no gel, mouse, or hair spray. My delicate, fine hair will tear if I even try to run my fingers through it with any of those. :angel9:)
    My go to leave ins are now: my regular conditioners listed above, gs oil, or PW77
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    If I'm washing, I spend maybe 2 mins applying products and 15 mins diffusing.

If I'm refreshing, I can spend anywhere from 2 mins to ~20 mins (If i'm diffusing).

If my hair is awful, I'll spend ~10 seconds.

I don't count shower time, that's a given.

If I'm doing a coconut oil massage/overnight application, I spend about 5 mins.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • yestheyrerealyestheyrereal Posts: 54Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    About 45 minutes every day, if I dont get second day hair, but I rarely do. Most of that time is spent drying with a diffuser. I have extremely thick hair and it takes forever to dry. i usually dry it to about 75% dry and scrunch out the crunch later at work. DH gets extremely annoyed when we're trying to get ready to go somewhere but he's used to it by now lol
    2c/3a
    Low-high porosity, fine/medium, high density thick hair, highlighted
    Modified CG since 12/2013
  • WhirlwindWhirlwind Posts: 21Registered Users
    I wash my hair everyday. Takes me 1-1.5 hours (including showering and styling). I go out with wet hair.

I still think I spend too much time though. Not used to it because I'm such a lazy person. But I can't skip a day of styling.
  • ThirtyThirty Posts: 7Registered Users
    Wetting or washing does not take long - few min. Then a towel under my hair and apply leave in and product with hands. Gently comb out and do a gentle scrunch to every section of my hair.

Leave alone and air dry - that takes awhile.
    I did the water test , my hair never sank . I air dry , after I do a slight towel blot . It takes up to 3 1/2 - 4 hrs , and its curled wet , it tightens as it dries.

I use more water than product
    Thirty -
    3C /low porosity/ medium/ high density
    Low poo scalp only/ Suave Cond/ Leave in Suave- Regis Ultimate Radiance : air dry wet- No plopping

Thirty-medium.jpg
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 175Registered Users
    On wash day (once a week) I can be in the bathroom anywhere from 1.5hrs on a good day to 3hrs on a bad day. Going off the 1.5hr days, I'd say 50 minutes is detangling, 20 is washing/conditioning/showering, and 20 is styling. And then I spend the rest of the day air drying. That's why wash day is Sunday haha
    During the week I basically do nothing to my hair. Sometimes I'll smooth on some conditioner to my edges because they like to frizz up but for the most part I have my hair up in a pony tail and don't fuss much with it until next wash day.
    I do largely contribute my time in the shower to the fact that I have waist length hair and I'm transitioning so it gets very tangled, especially at the line of demarcation.

3B/3C
    Fine thickness, medium density, high porosity

CG since 1/25/2014
    BC 6/25/2015
    Still figuring my hair out
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    On a normal day, about 5-10 minutes. On a wash day, probably about 45 minutes to an hour
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Wash/condition/detangle is probably about 6-7 minutes. Apply product/scrunch/plop probably about 5-6 minutes. I typically air dry, but if I diffuse that adds another 20 minutes or so.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • AnnittaAnnitta Posts: 3Registered Users
    About 5 min washing, 5 detangling, 1-3 applying products. Hours air drying. Everyday. Plus an hour on weekends to deep condition.
  • heartincloverheartinclover Posts: 33Registered Users
    too much time! It usually takes me around 30-40 minutes to detangle my hair (I have a bad habit of pinning my hair up into a pompadour around day 5 and leaving it like that until I'm no longer lazy enough to deep condition/wash it), and I normally do a bunch of hot oil/deep conditioning/hair masks around my wash days. It takes me about 40 minutes to diffuse and style my hair. I cut/shave and dye my own hair every few weeks, so that usually adds a few more hours.
  • FimuFimu Posts: 322Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Managed to get the whole process down to 2 hours 15. Not bad 😊

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list