Your First Barbie

Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
How many Curlies still remember their first Barbie? Mine was Sun Lovin' Malibu Barbie, circa 1978. She had mirrored sunglasses, a cover up and incredibly stark tan lines.

Warning! Graphic, Plastic, Nudity

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1415342814.335747.jpg
ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1415342827.138195.jpg
ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1415342864.181662.jpg
ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1415342873.883752.jpg

Post a pic of yours if you want, and if you can't remember your first just share your favorite.
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comments

• Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Picking a favorite Barbie is not a hard decision, even though I liked several. It's hands down, without a doubt, Astronaut Barbie, 1985.

Because Barbie needs heels and a purse in space!

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1415344970.059033.jpg

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1415345000.088522.jpg
    Don't forget the bonus skirt! You'll need it for hot, powdered, space food dates with Ken z
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Oops. My first pic didn't work
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1415345224.877179.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I only ever had one Barbie, no idea what kind she was (is - she's in the loft at my parents house!) she had a mini dress that was sort of rainbow colours, from memory . I don't think I knew there were different kinds until I was much too old for dolls.
    3b in South Australia.
    :) Cute. You were probably a parents dream. She has no idea. Keep it that way.

I have laughed so hard looking a pic's of 80's Barbies. Everything was so Dallas and Dynasty.

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1415354767.035538.jpg

She was ready to slap someone! I loved her. Anyway, I keep trying to remember the name of a very strange Barbie. You pushed a button on her back and her lips expanded and pushed forward. She did not look remotely human when that happened. I think she had lipstick and you could kiss paper with her, and leave little lip prints. Horrifying.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Kissing Barbie, 1978. That's simple enough. I was 3. *Nobody worried about choking hazards or melanoma then.* I can still remember getting and playing with Malibu at my grandparents house but can only remember being puzzled by this one

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1415355889.878745.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1415355901.300428.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1415355919.815941.jpg

I wish someone had a good side view of her pout out.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mustangbunnymustangbunny Posts: 1,033Registered Users
    That's utterly bizarre.

I inherited Barbies from older sisters. But my own additions were the most memorable for me. I had a lot of Disney ones and Ariel was my first, I think. I loved Ariel before I could say The Little Mermaid properly. I could only say "little mermy". And then I had Belle and Jasmine, and Aurora, oh and Pocahontas's friend. I liked her bangs.

We had two totally 80s Ken dolls. Their clothes were so awful. One was Dream Date Ken and we somehow broke something in his neck and it never sat up straight. So we called him "wobbly head Ken".

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
    Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
    Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
    :hockey:

• spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I never had a single Barbie; my parents were anti-Barbie. I didn't really care bc they didn't seem that fun to me. When my daughter was little she wanted one and I bought it for her...the one who was a pediatrician :angel5:

That's utterly bizarre.

I inherited Barbies from older sisters. But my own additions were the most memorable for me. I had a lot of Disney ones and Ariel was my first, I think. I loved Ariel before I could say The Little Mermaid properly. I could only say "little mermy". And then I had Belle and Jasmine, and Aurora, oh and Pocahontas's friend. I liked her bangs.

We had two totally 80s Ken dolls. Their clothes were so awful. One was Dream Date Ken and we somehow broke something in his neck and it never sat up straight. So we called him "wobbly head Ken".

I had Dream Date Ken. He went with Slapper I posted above. That's why yours had a wobbly head. ;)

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1415389813.864430.jpg

Aw. Belle.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I never had a single Barbie; my parents were anti-Barbie. I didn't really care bc they didn't seem that fun to me. When my daughter was little she wanted one and I bought it for her...the one who was a pediatrician :angel5:

What a good mom you are :) I thought a lot of the occupational ones I saw on shelves were neat but I would have ended up changing their clothes 25 times. Swap a few heads, arms and legs. Cut off their hair... I was rough on Barbie.

I don't remember a lot of anti Barbie parents when I was younger. Kids who were not that into Barbie, sure, but it's not like you didn't play with other things. Godzilla would visit my Barbies from time to time.

ETA: On the occupational note, I have a hard time remembering anyone but Astronaut and Super Star Barbie. There was a Day to Night who was a professional Diva, but I guess that was the whole point of making or buying additional outfits. She was all over the place.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TRBLTRBL Posts: 5,294Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Peaches and Cream Barbie!

peaches2.jpg

With Glamorous Change-Around Stole!
    When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy

"Dispute not with her: she is lunatic." -Richard III
    It is funny to look at Astronaut Barbie thru out the years

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1415391505.351103.jpg
    60's, 80's, 90's
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1415391546.115107.jpg
    And the latest.

They kind of do Mommy/Daughter variants. Clearly the 80's doll towered above the rest. Bad pun. I loved those boots.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    TRBL wrote: »
    Peaches and Cream Barbie!

peaches2.jpg

With Glamorous Change-Around Stole!

I remember her. Another Dynasty/Dallas look.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ah, they apparently had a Fun at McDonalds Barbie in 82. Actually it was just a play set and separate outfit. I do not recall those at all.

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1415393428.027091.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1415393451.036889.jpg

They McDonalds sponsored NASCAR Barbie or McDonalds Barbies came out in the 90's & 2000's.

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1415393548.734400.jpg

Teenage work ethic and sadly more realistic depiction for a majority of the population than Paleontologist Barbie. *When will people realize she has absolutely nothing to do with reality? Looking at the list of occupations, some have been trying to hard. Spanish Teacher Barbie. :-/ How is Western Barbie a career? Women work. Anyone born after the 50's is well aware.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I totally collected those McDonald's toy Barbies and up until about a year ago I had them in a shoe box under my bed. My mom and I can't bear to throw toys away.

PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.

Go Red Wings!

I love the hair on 60's dolls. You at least got a larger selection. Curls, bobs, pixies. I think thats why I loved the Barbies that had hair you could curl, and why I was constantly giving them new hairdo's. My mom was not fan (there were some with green and blue hair by the time I got done) but sometimes a girl needs a change.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I totally collected those McDonald's toy Barbies and up until about a year ago I had them in a shoe box under my bed. My mom and I can't bear to throw toys away.

I can not remember seeing any of those or my friends having anything McDonalds/Barbie related. The Gym/Aerobics center I remember well. Barbie dream house. A few of my friends had those. The deluxe shower/bath. Corvette. I had the gym and corvette but most of the time she rode around on horses or Tonka Trucks. And a giant baby puke green RV. My brothers had a massive toy RV. You lifted up the roof to get access inside. It was perfect for Barbie.

If I look at Barbies now it's to see collectors editions. The I Love Lucy and Wizard of Oz dolls were cute.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    They were just toys inside the happy meals. That probably would have been early 90's. I think they were like Miss America themed?

I never had a Barbie dream house. I'm pretty sure that disappointment has shaped me into who I am today.

Go Red Wings!

• JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I always wanted barbies when i was a kid but my mom never got me one, I think partially it was monetary reasons(but she bought me other stuff, a tea set and lots of legos), maybe some were religious(but she wasn't religious back then), or maybe it was just ignorance, I dunno. I only had one that my aunt gave me and i don't know what type it was, I didn't even know there were types back then. I just remember going to my spoiled neighbors house and she had everything, tons of barbies, some kens, clothes, the dollhouse care, literally EVERYthing.

I've recently thought about buying one, just to have.
    They were just toys inside the happy meals. That probably would have been early 90's. I think they were like Miss America themed?

I never had a Barbie dream house. I'm pretty sure that disappointment has shaped me into who I am today.

I know what you mean. I thought my world was going to end when I didn't get the dream house. My parents said no way! They bought a doll house kit a few years before and my brothers worked so hard putting it together and gave it to me for Christmas. My little cousins came over and demolished it Christmas night. That put my parents off doll houses, forever. I got to enjoy it at friends houses so that was okay.

*Luckily I had not put handmade doll house furniture whittled by deceased family members in it yet. Not a good night. They also ripped off my teddy bears eye.

Josephine, if I were going to get one now I'd go for a really cool collectors. I kind of wish I had taken better care of a few of my regular Barbies. Many are not all that special but some are worth $200 or more now. ETA: I did see that they put out a Computer Programer/Engineer Barbie a few years ago. It's Barbie holding a laptop while wearing a blue tooth or headset.

(PS: I loved Legos & Lincoln Logs. I wouldn't mind a huge bucket of those right now)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I was trying to remember the different Dream houses. People have them dated wrong. I can recall some friends having this one that came out in 78

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1415419174.991629.jpg

And the pool that went with it
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1415419300.779796.jpg

They put it out in different colors in the 80s
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1415419354.636470.jpg

I remember this too. Maybe a cousin had it. Looks 70's
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1415419398.562026.jpg

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1415419435.175027.jpg

It's taller than most kids

Those have never been cheap. $180 now.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I really wish I would have bought the I Love Lucy Barbies as they were released. They would be my favorite Barbies, ever. Mattel put out several with different themes from episodes. You can not find better facial expressions.

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1415423174.763678.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1415423186.368090.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1415423198.317779.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1415423209.519878.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1415423240.520600.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fifi.G wrote: »

I know what you mean. I thought my world was going to end when I didn't get the dream house. My parents said no way! They bought a doll house kit a few years before and my brothers worked so hard putting it together and gave it to me for Christmas. My little cousins came over and demolished it Christmas night. That put my parents off doll houses, forever. I got to enjoy it at friends houses so that was okay.

*Luckily I had not put handmade doll house furniture whittled by deceased family members in it yet. Not a good night. They also ripped off my teddy bears eye.

Josephine, if I were going to get one now I'd go for a really cool collectors. I kind of wish I had taken better care of a few of my regular Barbies. Many are not all that special but some are worth $200 or more now. ETA: I did see that they put out a Computer Programer/Engineer Barbie a few years ago. It's Barbie holding a laptop while wearing a blue tooth or headset.

(PS: I loved Legos & Lincoln Logs. I wouldn't mind a huge bucket of those right now)

Cool I'll look out for engineer barbie. One of my exes collects barbies that are probably worth a lot, he started in the 90s. I was supposed to take one after we broke up but I forgot :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using CurlTalk App
    Josephine wrote: »
    Fifi.G wrote: »

Cool I'll look out for engineer barbie. One of my exes collects barbies that are probably worth a lot, he started in the 90s. I was supposed to take one after we broke up but I forgot :(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using CurlTalk App

Aw. That would have been handy.

I think she was released 4 or 5 years ago. I did notice Barbie is spelled out in binary numbers on her screen. You can probably still find her online for a reasonable price.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Agree about getting an older one. The new Barbies are so weird looking. I can't imagine buying one for my children now.

Go Red Wings!

Agree about getting an older one. The new Barbies are so weird looking. I can't imagine buying one for my children now.

Oh Gah! They are weird looking. I only looked at computer programer barbie from a side view. I had not looked at other ones. I like the differences in hair but they all have that Bratz Doll or Lisa Frank thing going on. Big heads that massive eyes still don't fit on.

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1415495328.188290.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1415495510.936771.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1415495520.155009.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1415495575.351749.jpg
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1415495598.315044.jpg

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I can see that with Lucy Collectors Dolls but big eyes and funny expressions were her thing. That's strange in the regular line.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    That photo where they're laying on the ground in a circle makes me think "cult"

Go Red Wings!

Join us. Join us now and learn the secrets of Barbie.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I'm really confused with barbies, why are some 20 and some 200? I guess the older ones are more expensive? But i think some of the new ones are? I didn't search too hard but the comp e barbie is 128 on amazon(kind of a lot)! and I don't like the way she looks lol. I think I want one with long dark hair. Also i want a glamourous one with a nice dress, not regular clothes like the comp e barbie. Or maybe the mermaid barbie lol.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file