What gel do you use?

butter52butter52 Registered Users Posts: 292
Hi ladies!

My hair is growing longer and curlier and I need something to get some curl definition.

Can you tell me about gels that work for you, give some hold but are not heavy on LP hair?

Ive tried some styling creams but It makes my hair too dirty.

Thank you

Comments

• frcklsfrckls Registered Users Posts: 528 Curl Neophyte
    I make my own okra gel. I first tried plain okra gel with xanthan gum and it worked wonderfully on my hair. I'm going to add more additives to the next batch, but I'm still waiting for my ingredients shipment to arrive.

Other than that, I've been loving mousse instead of gel. It's lightweight and gives fullness, which my coarse yet low density hair needs. I love Suave Pro Captivating Curls Mousse (has -cones, builds up on my scalp after 2 days though not on the hair, but is easily washed out by Inecto). I'm currently testing Paul Mitchell Conditioning Sculpting Foam and liking it. If your hair is on the finer side, the latter would be better I think, as it's lighter than Suave).
    2B/C canopy & 2A/B underlayer
    coarse | low-normal porosity | normal elasticity | low-med density
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Clarify: Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, Citric acid rinse
    RO/LI: Jason Moisturizing 84% Aloe Vera / Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
    Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
    Treatment: H&B Wonder Oil + VCO, Honey-Cardamom-EVOO-Chamomile
  • belwillcoilybelwillcoily Registered Users Posts: 303 Curl Neophyte
    I have yet to find a gel that doesn't ultimately flake which I abhor. Even my homemade FSG will flake. I have to use very, very minute amounts of gel for it to not flake...such a small amount that it's not even worth it because if I'm trying to get some hold, what's the point if there is not enough on there to hold my coils? I'm curious to know too what gels LP curly, coily and kinky-hair folks use with success. Will be watching this thread with interest...
    :afro: Me Fascina El Pelo :afro:

Low Porosity; Medium Strands; Dense
  • lolo918lolo918 Registered Users Posts: 729 Curl Neophyte
    I use flaxseed gel that I make or LALSG. I prefer the flaxseed gel to the LALSG because I dont need to use as much conditioner to have softness with the hold. With either, I mix conditioner into the gel before applying it to my hair. Ive even put a small amount of LALSG in with the fsg and conditioner with success. I've also done honey, the mixes I create being iagirl's curl cream recipe. I haven't found any product that does what this does for my hair.

Layering products makes my LP, fine textured, coily/curly hair flake. Another thing that makes it flake is when I've used an oil heavy conditioner (think shea moisture type) to mix with either of the gels.

Sent from my VS980 4G using CurlTalk App
    3C/4A, fine texture, low-medium density, and low porosity
    CG since November 2013.

Pre-Poo: infrequent now, Coconut Oil overnight
    Shampoo: Curls unleashed/for occasional sulfate wash when needed, everlasting sunshine.
    Conditioner: Suave Naturals Everlasting Sunshine and GVP's conditioning balm.
    Styler: iagirl's flaxseed curl cream or gelatin gel/conditioner mix. <3
    PT: iagirl's gelatin treatment 3-4 times a month, with conditioner/honey/avj
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Registered Users Posts: 1,632 Curl Neophyte
    I use la looks wet look gel & love it.
  • Zemaria_xoxoZemaria_xoxo Registered Users Posts: 30
    The only gel I use on my hair is Kinky Curly Curling Custard ❤️❤️❤️ It has no glyercin (can be used year around), I think protein free, and offers no frizz. It does cost alot, but it last a while if you use it right.
    You said you don't like styling creams, have you tried Shea Moisture Curl&Style Milk. It is light in protein, no glyercin, and can be used year around.
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    I rotate a lot of "jelly" products. My definition is gelatinous consistency without a lot of chemicals. Many are listed in my signature. I like both homemade FSG and okra gel, KCCC, UFD Curly Magic (original formula now sold under the name Hello Curly Curl Stimulator), Botanical Spirits Magic Curls Puree, Sevi Blue Yarrow Gel, CK Coil Jam, Mop Top Curly Custard and lately I've been having great hair with CJ Aloe Fix.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • N2waterdogsN2waterdogs Registered Users Posts: 9
    i have 3b low porosity hair I use Curl Keeper followed by a small amount of KCCC on soaking wet hair diffuse right away, low speed warm. Great clumps no frizz.
  • adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    I used to pretty much only use FSG but then they reformulated Olive Ecostyler I've been going with that. Really it's a little too heavy to rinse out clean like FSG does which is a downside when you're prone to build up. But it makes my hair look great for a few days so I use it anyway. I just wash it out with a conditioner/shampoo mixture every few days and redo my hair. .
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • cassy1cassy1 Registered Users Posts: 7
    U can make ur own aloe vera gel from the plant just strain it really well, and make sure there is limited space in between it and the top of the bottle to limit the oxygen in the bottle. That will cause it to break down faster.

Also u can try fantasia ic olive oil gel.

U can also try mousse.

Or Talia wajid curl sealer.( beware expensive)

All of these options are so nice and light, especially for my super fine strands, low porosity, and thin-med density.
    Hopefully this helps.
  • centralvalleygirlcentralvalleygirl Registered Users Posts: 17 Curl Neophyte
    I just recently started using Curl Keeper and Curls in a bottle, both are expensive but they are very thin consistency which doesn't weigh down my hair. I am wondering if heavier gels can be watered down to get that thin/runny consistency hmmm?? I may be on to something
    2C & 3B curls
    Low Porosity
    Med Density
    Fine width

My hair hates Wheat protein
    Shampoo: L'Oreal EverCreme Nourishing Shampoo
    Conditioner: Aussie Moist
    Leave In: GVP The Conditioner

Protein treatment: GVP knock off of K-Pak
    currently loving Curls in a bottle and Curl Keeper
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Registered Users Posts: 2,075 Curl Neophyte
    Forever pushing Ouidad Climate Control on folks. A little goes a long way and it's got a nice 'watery' consistency, so it's distributed easily and it doesn't feel 'cakey' (like creams tend to make my hair feel)
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • naturecatnaturecat Registered Users Posts: 1,986 Curl Neophyte
    Homemade gelatin hair gel. Currently I also add some other proteins to it, some salt, and panthenol. Although I don't have lo po hair currently (except at my roots), when I did it was one of the few things I could use (but only useful if you have fine hair that craves protein). It gave me harder hold without weighing down/building up on my hair. Commercial products just greased up my hair.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • curlyannie80curlyannie80 Registered Users Posts: 334 Curl Neophyte
    I LOVE Batia & Aleeza Bio Mineral Sculpting Gel, it is amazing. For me, it works better than Curl Keeper gel, Jessicurl Spiralicious, regular Curl Keeper, and there are more but I'm not remembering. I always top it off w/ some LA Looks Sport (blue), for more hold, and of course use LI first. It has a water soluble cone, but it comes right out. The gel is very watery, very slippery, and smells amazing, like pina-colada or something tropical.

Sent from my XT1254 using CurlTalk App
  • demi.torowusdemi.torowus Registered Users Posts: 30
    I love Garnier Fructis Totally Twisted, and I really want to try Eco Styler.
    Dreamer, Disnerd, Fansie, and I'm a Mormon

"That's a lot of hair!" - "Tangled" and every hair stylist who's ever worked on my hair...

Co wash: Hair One Olive Oil
    Low Poo: Shiny Silver Ultra
    Leave-In: Hair One...
    Gel: HE Totally Twisted
    Curl Activator: Strictly Curls Perfect Curl Cream. Desert Essence Coconut Soft Curls Cream or MA Dream Waves Beach Spray
    Anti-Frizz: Ogx Moroccan Argan Oil
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Registered Users Posts: 2,075 Curl Neophyte
    Loving Curl Keeper right now
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • MyrnaMyrna Registered Users Posts: 2,472 Curl Connoisseur
    curlyannie, I have some B and A gel from years ago in my product graveyard. I have been wanting to try it again and just have not...I recall it left my hair feeling really "coated" and kind of dirty..go figure.

OP, I use FSG and Devacurl UD gel. That combo seems to work best for me.
  • stormstorm Registered Users Posts: 204 Curl Neophyte
    Sorry im reviving an old thread but I found this searching for reviews for the Sevi Blue yarrow gel. Im looking for a styler lighter than KCCC in texture that wont weigh my hair down eventually. For the ladies who have used the gel how would you compare it to KCCC and home made simple FSG? Hows the hold.. is it drying?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file