Help for 3C Guy

CurlyMan82CurlyMan82 Posts: 219Registered Users Curl Neophyte
This is what I have now. I've been growing for 23 months.

14cvdjk.jpg

The lighting isn't that good here, but you can see the strands in front of my face. That's pretty much what the rest looks like, but the curls are bunched together. They're not as free as I'd like them to be. This was over one hour after washing it. I put some tresame naturals on it, then an olive oil gloss, then shea moisture moisturizer, and the shea moisture kind of made it frizz a little more. If there was a way I could give them more definition and do something so the curls don't clump together, I'd be happy.

Comments

• BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Do you use any alcohol free gels like ecostyler or LA looks?

It may be worth you modifying your regime so instead of putting another moisturiser on your hair you use a gel instead. So you use a conditioner then oil then gel rather than a conditioner then oil then another conditioner.

Once the gel is dry you can crunch it out if it's gone crunchy leaving you with more defined curls.
  • SherryxSherryx Posts: 12Registered Users
    I agree with blueblood, ecostyler or a similar gel after you put your conditioner in might help! My hairtype is 3b but something that helps for me is sectioning my hair when conditioning/detangling etc. This way you the curls get more ''attention'' and you'll notice tangles faster, if you have any.
  • NaturalsaraNaturalsara Posts: 34Registered Users
    Have you ever tried the coiling method? This method helps give hair definition a boost. You would do this after you have washed, condition, and moisturized the hair. A good styling product like ecostyler gel really helps too.

Coiling Method

First you take sections of hair and you wind it around your finger to create a coil. Then after you have coiled your entire head(10 to 12 coils depending on hair thickeness), you let it air dry or diffuse it. When it has dried completely, you carefully pull the coils apart and you will have defined curls that are curled in the same direction so that it looks more uniform.
    Hair Type: 3B/3C Mix
    Hair Texture: Fine/Medium
    Hair Density: Low
    Hair Porosity: Low
    Hair Length: SL (when curly) BSL (when stretched)
    Favorite Moisturizering Oils: Jojoba Oil, Tea Tree Oil, and Coconut Oil
    Visit My Blog
    Follow me on Instagram
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use a boat load of LA looks wet look gel that I rake through my hair. Then I either separate my curls by pulling them apart or I'll brush (I know a CG sin) sections of my hair with a denman brush to speed up styling. Gives my defined separated curls and no frizz.
  • CurlyMan82CurlyMan82 Posts: 219Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I do have Eco Styler, but didn't think it would turn out well. Ended up giving it a shot. Not bad, but I should have put it into sections first. There was some definition, but I know there could have been more if I used sections.

Any tips for trying to keep your hair in this state overnight? Of course the hair hardens a little, so when I went to sleep, I woke up and it was completely screwed up and frozen that way.
    As you said your hair hardens a bit when it dries with the gel. To remove the hardness, just scrunch your hair :)
    To prevent frizz and to get rid of the slept-on-hair-look you can use a satin pillowcase to sleep on. Since your hair is about shoulder-length you could try the pineapple method as well!
  • MsPMsP Posts: 116Registered Users
    I like your original regimen better than the gel you tried later personally. I suggest you try adding some castor oil and a heavy conditioner that you leave in to your wet hair instead of the gel. . Castor oil is a thick serum and can give your hair the type of looser definition you desire. You should go through each strand and smooth each little section with the castor oil and a heavy conditioner that you leave in. I believe you can get a healthier look for your hair type is not glued looking and horrible to the touch this way.

With this technique your hair will be more pliable, break less, feel marvelous to the touch, and you will be able to sleep on it. Speaking of which, with this method, you should section off the hair and put a few braids in the hair at night to sleep. Give that a try and see how it goes for you. I believe it will allow your hair to grow healthier without breaking and snapping off due to hard gel. It will make your curls looser and more defined without the horrible cement or glue feeling of gel that feels so unnatural and undesirable to some. This will leave you with soft feeling hair instead of that other feeling. Your hair will be comb-able and not frozen, crunchy or generally feel like glue or nasty. For more information on this type of technique, get the book "Curly like me" by Terri LaFlesh or see her website: tightlycurly
    Oh and always apply castor oil and your conditioners on wet hair to avoid a dry, oily feeling.

PS: I do think castor oil on wet hair will work well with your hair looking at your texture. However, if castor alone is not to your liking, you might try it with a combination of olive or coconut oils. The other main ingredient again is a heavy conditioner that you leave in the hair and combing it in each curl to smooth each curl individually. So what you can do once you find a heavy conditioner that works for you, is to add some of the oil/s to the conditioner, shake well and have your one leave in product that you always use to individually "shingle" your curls on wet hair. Aussie Moist, Pantene Relaxed, HE Hello Hydration and Tresemme Smooth & Silky are some of the heavy conditioners to leave in that Terri LaFlesh recommends on her website. And she applies very large amounts of the conditioner and leaves it in the hair to air dry. One additional technique from the book is to individually form spirals with your fingers with each individual strand as you smooth the heavy conditioner in the hair. I think she calls it making doodles or something like that. You can wrap each curl around your finger individually and slide it off. Do not mess with the hair until it is bone dry so that the doodles, and shingled curls have a chance to fully set. Hope this helps and let me know how it works for you!
    My Routine:
    Coconut oil drench the night before I co-wash
    then cowash and deep condition each time w/ Keracare Humecto, Joico Moisture Recovery and/or ApHogee 2min
    then usually airdry
    Grapeseed oil nightly

(no gel, mouse, or hair spray. My delicate, fine hair will tear if I even try to run my fingers through it with any of those. :angel9:)
    My go to leave ins are now: my regular conditioners listed above, gs oil, or PW77
    @ Sherry

Thanks. I guess I didn't know what scrunching was. I'll give it a try.

@ MsP

Thank you for your long response. I'm tempted to try, but won't castor oil make my hair smell like hell?
    Hi curlyman,

As you see everyone has their own opinion about gels haha. Not sure if Msp understands that gel should be the last step in the routine and is not a routine replacement. Anyhow, oils are great for locking moisture ( in limited amounts), but it could make your hair feel gross/sticky. Castor oil does have a smell, If I use I only use it before washing days. What you could do is the LCO or the LOC method. L stands for liquid to add moisture, for example I use the curl activator for cantu for this step. C stands for Cream( thick, but not a sticky one) to define the curls, I use shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie for this step or another thick natural cream. O stands for Oils, I don't know how your scalp and hair feels while using it but I always get the urge to wash it immediately with the sticky feeling. When I use oil I use jojoba oil because it's very light. You could start experimenting by just sealing your ends with oil, avoid your scalp and roots, unless it's dry.
    So some people prefer the loc method, i prefer lco, and sometimes I replace the O with a Gel, which does not makes your hair look like glue if you use it well.
    Oh here's a short video about scrunching after your hair fully dried https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY-luqUq3uk

She has another hairtype but the idea stays the same :)

Ps: I think it's awesome that more and more guys are getting interested in how to rock their natural curls!
    Sherryx wrote: »
    Hi curlyman,

As you see everyone has their own opinion about gels haha. Not sure if Msp understands that gel should be the last step in the routine and is not a routine replacement. Anyhow, oils are great for locking moisture ( in limited amounts), but it could make your hair feel gross/sticky. Castor oil does have a smell, If I use I only use it before washing days. What you could do is the LCO or the LOC method. L stands for liquid to add moisture, for example I use the curl activator for cantu for this step. C stands for Cream( thick, but not a sticky one) to define the curls, I use shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie for this step or another thick natural cream. O stands for Oils, I don't know how your scalp and hair feels while using it but I always get the urge to wash it immediately with the sticky feeling. When I use oil I use jojoba oil because it's very light. You could start experimenting by just sealing your ends with oil, avoid your scalp and roots, unless it's dry.
    So some people prefer the loc method, i prefer lco, and sometimes I replace the O with a Gel, which does not makes your hair look like glue if you use it well.
    Oh here's a short video about scrunching after your hair fully dried https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY-luqUq3uk

She has another hairtype but the idea stays the same :)

Ps: I think it's awesome that more and more guys are getting interested in how to rock their natural curls!

Thanks. What she did looks a little scary though. She gets away with that, but I'm concerned I might end up with a little frizz or my hair leaning to the sides rather than hanging downwards.

And yeah, I wore low fades for years, but that all changed 5 years ago. I gave waves a shot, then I met somebody who had long hair, and could do all of this stuff with it, and he said he had the same texture as me. I've been growing it out for 2 years now. I don't see how I'll ever be able to cut it off now.
    @ MsP

By the way, I decided to look into the book. Kindle version was only $10 on Amazon. Read the first 100 pages last night. Interesting stuff. I was already doing some of the stuff, so I wonder what will happen when I follow through with the rest.
  • MsPMsP Posts: 116Registered Users
    Hi Curly man
    Yeah I agree with you that what that lady did in the above video would not work for you. Different people have to do different things to their hair to make it look nice to them.
    On another subject, I loved that book you're reading. I think you will enjoy it too. The only difference between her technique and what I suggested is I recommend you add some oil to the conditioner that you leave in. I think that will work well for you since you already enjoy using olive oil as a leave in gloss on your hair. It will add a nice touch to the techique she teaches.
    I can't stand gels at all on my hair whether they are the last step or the first. It freezes my hair in the bad way you talked about and is generally just not for me.
    Good luck with the techniques and let me know how they work out for your and if you modify them or anything
    Best wishes

PS Regarding what to expect, well she grew her hair down to below her butt and with gorgeous defined curls. That would be really cool if that happened to you too!
    My Routine:
    Coconut oil drench the night before I co-wash
    then cowash and deep condition each time w/ Keracare Humecto, Joico Moisture Recovery and/or ApHogee 2min
    then usually airdry
    Grapeseed oil nightly

(no gel, mouse, or hair spray. My delicate, fine hair will tear if I even try to run my fingers through it with any of those. :angel9:)
    My go to leave ins are now: my regular conditioners listed above, gs oil, or PW77

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file