October Hits and Misses

testimony777testimony777 Posts: 237Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I didn't see one of these on the 3 board so I figured I would start one. The two new products I tried last month were both hits!

Hit- Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Leave-in
I am late to the party but I decided to give this a try this month and LOVE it. It has dethroned my beloved Giovani Direct Leave In as best leave in ever. It may be a bit heavy for the summer months (I will have to see) but right now I am loving it!

Hit- Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Treatment Mask
Definitely a staple. This leaves my hair moisturized but also feeling strong. I was experiencing some breakage due to increased friction as my hair has reached the length where it gets caught in EVERYTHING (doors, my purse strap, the seatbelt :-?). This mask has definitely fortified my strands and nipped the breakage issue in the bud.

The smell of these products is definitely interesting. In the jar they have a vanilla sent with a play-doh under note; I think the vinegar is to blame for that. I don't mind it thought because in my hair all I smell is vanilla which is quite yummy.
Hair Stats (CG since 3/31/12)
Type: 3c/b; Density: M; Texture: F-M; Porosity: L-N

Products
Cleanser: DevaCurl Decadence No Poo
Conditioner: DevaCurl Original One Condition
Leave-in: DevaCurl B'Leave-in
Stylers: DevaCurl Volumizing Frizz Free Foam, DevaCurl Beautiful Mess, DevaCurl Flexible Hold Hairspray
Refresher: DevaCurl No Comb Detangling Spray
Finisher: DevaCurl Shine Spray

Comments

• CurlyInParadiseCurlyInParadise Posts: 137Registered Users
    I have just discovered Sally's generic Wen, Hair One. I have tried so many products and while none have been bad, they perform about the same. I have thin hair but back when I used sulfate shampoos some made it feel thinner than others. This Hair One makes it feel much thicker, styles well and get at least 2nd day hair.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]______
    3a, med porous, low density
    Poo: Have to admit I have recently become a Wen convert. Love it. I have always had problems with my hair "hanging" right, curling uniformly and destorting the perimeter line. Wen makes it hang evenly.
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    No new hits this month. I have a few new products to try, but in general I've been sticking to the same stuff.

Miss- Living Proof, in general. I bought sample kits for their zero frizz and perfect hair day lines and I tried Perfect Hair Day once so far. The results were blah at best, but even if it worked like a dream, I just can't get over the really strong fragrance.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users
    Corrina777 wrote: »
    No new hits this month. I have a few new products to try, but in general I've been sticking to the same stuff.

Miss- Living Proof, in general. I bought sample kits for their zero frizz and perfect hair day lines and I tried Perfect Hair Day once so far. The results were blah at best, but even if it worked like a dream, I just can't get over the really strong fragrance.

I got the no frizz samples a couple months ago, and used a bit of the styling cream to refresh. But like you said, the smell was so strong I couldn't imagine actually using the amounts of product I'd need to wash and style with. Why do they put so much fragrance in this stuff?
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
  • testimony777testimony777 Posts: 237Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks for sharing this. I had been eyeing those products for a while. The claims on the bottle look amazing, of course, and they have gotten decent reviews. However, I don't like strong fragrances either so now I will no longer be tempted to try this line:)
    Hair Stats (CG since 3/31/12)
    Type: 3c/b; Density: M; Texture: F-M; Porosity: L-N

Products
    Cleanser: DevaCurl Decadence No Poo
    Conditioner: DevaCurl Original One Condition
    Leave-in: DevaCurl B'Leave-in
    Stylers: DevaCurl Volumizing Frizz Free Foam, DevaCurl Beautiful Mess, DevaCurl Flexible Hold Hairspray
    Refresher: DevaCurl No Comb Detangling Spray
    Finisher: DevaCurl Shine Spray
  • CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Posts: 568Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hit: Tresemme Extra Hold Mousse w/ All-Day Humidity Resistance. I love this mousse! It offers great hold without being crunchy or flaky. It's not too great on the frizz control but it does an adequate job. It's affordable and easy to find. I can achieve up to day 3 hair with this.

Miss: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie. It smells nice but doesn't do much on eliminating frizz. My hair is moisturized for day 1 but after that, I have patches of frizz popping up. It's only a "miss" because it's such a hot commodity in the CG community but the results were just OK.
    CG since Dec. 2013  B)
    3b/c ~ fine ~ high porosity ~ low density
    No-Poo: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Shampoo 
    RO: Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner 
    Stylers: Tresemme Flawless Curls Mousse & Extra Hold Hairspray 

• mgoekemgoeke Posts: 7Registered Users
    We use L'Oreal Professionel products at the salon where I work, and while they don't have the best curly hair arsenal, and they can be a bit pricey (but worth it!) I have found these to be my go-to's:

Or Graphic- A cream gel that has just the right amount of moisture, hold/control, and UV/heat protection to help define my curls and protect my color from fading. I'm a completely unnatural red head, so the UV protection is a must!

Mythic Oil Cream- a mixture of Argan oils and omega fatty acids in a cream that provides heat protection and acts as a great leave-in conditioner. Completely weightless, but provides the smoothing and nourishment that curls need. I can use it on my fine-haired clients as well as my own coarse, dense, 3a hair, and know that it won't make anyone's hair greasy.

Perfect Texture- this is a texture spray that gives me the biggest, wildest curls ever! It enhances the curl pattern, while giving my curls hold and providing grip and texture. My hair tends to blend itself, so I need products that define and encourage the curls to clump. Must be used sparingly, for it can get sticky otherwise, but if you like big hair, or if your curls just need a little volume and encouragement, this is great stuff.
    Curl type 3a, coarse, low porosity, high density, and extremely frizz-prone. Color-treated, but with ammonia-free, professional color. Also trying to grow it out.
  • frcklsfrckls Posts: 528Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    HIT! Inecto Pure Coconut Conditioner - great slip, lathers, squeaky clean scalp and hair yet moisturizing, great shine, volume, making it a great condish as CO/RO/LI, although not a styler for my hair.

November should be fun, with all my orders arriving within this week and the next (provided they don't stay too long in the custom), so I'll have quite some new products to try on.
    2B/C canopy & 2A/B underlayer
    coarse | low-normal porosity | normal elasticity | low-med density
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Clarify: Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, Citric acid rinse
    RO/LI: Jason Moisturizing 84% Aloe Vera / Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
    Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
    Treatment: H&B Wonder Oil + VCO, Honey-Cardamom-EVOO-Chamomile
  • FlemishCurvesFlemishCurves Posts: 52Registered Users
    Hit: Lush R&B leave in. I got a sample a while back and there are so many ingredients in it I thought it would be terrible but I love it for refreshing my hair.

Miss: the weather :p

Sent from my Ice-Phone Mini using CurlTalk App
    3A/3B Corkicelli

What a hairdresser once said 'behind my back': Her curls are like owning a Ferrari but not knowing how to drive it.

What I should have answered: Me letting you cut my hair is like owning a Ferrari but letting a 15-year-old who takes autoshop do the maintenance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file