so frustrated with frizz, please help?

annie7annie7 Registered Users Posts: 1
Hello all,

I love my greying air...well, it's skipping grey and going to white, really. I had strawberry blond hair until my late teens, then ash blond, and now I have the blond, white, and underneath all that a coppery brown. I'd say the grey is maybe at 30 - 40% right now?

The problem is frizz and lack of curl. And the grey is especially fly away - so fine and lighweight it just floats on top of the rest. Everything I read says frizz is from dryness but I SWEAR my hair is not dry. I wash it only once per week, let it air dry, use a gentle shampoo with a conditioner and a leave-in conditioner, and I stay out of the sun. And it doesn't feel dry, it feels soft.

But it looks terrible. It's so discouraging because I used to have beautiful hair that people commented on, but not any more :( It's just this head of big, flyaway, unruly, fuzzy white sitting on top of darker hair that does its own [separate] thing. Oh, and that darker hair insists on looking thin and fuzzy at the ends no matter what I do, even after having the ends freshly trimmed.

I am at my wit's end knowing what it needs to look nice again. Right now it's about bra strap length when wet, cut in long layers. Has anyone been through this and come out the other side?

Comments

• curlicious13curlicious13 Registered Users Posts: 1,632 Curl Neophyte
    I find that even gentle shampoos can dry out curly hair. Curls also need hydrating products (conditioners) to look their best. This is what I do.
    Weekly:
    Cowash
    Deep condition (while I shower)
    Leave in
    Gel

Monthly:
    Shampoo (suave clarifying shampoo)
    Deep condition (sit under a warm hooded dryer)
    Leave in
    Gel

Result:
    ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1414458141.748126.jpg this routine has been working for me for 10 months.
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Registered Users Posts: 1,632 Curl Neophyte
    I only shampoo once a month. The rest of the month, I cowash. Check out mydevacurl.com. On this website, I learned what products to use on my hair.
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,357 Curl Connoisseur
    i just lost my entire post as i was searching for an article, LOL!

i don't know your hair properties, i have normal porosity, takes 4 hours to dry, but my hair does lose moisture quickly unless i seal. it does not like oils but loves butters. here is an article by tonya that is very informative:

Gray Hair: Causes and How to Care for It

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file