Before and After

AcidAcid Posts: 40Registered Users
Hello to everyone,

I'm having some problems with my hair , so I searched for some solutions, but there are so many informations here that everything seems so useful but I can't exactly figure it out what would be the best solution for my problem.
I had pretty nice curls, as you can see on my profile picture and it was strong, healthy hair without any tretmans , just shampoo and conditioner. After some time my hair went from that to something weak, half straight half little bit of curls. So, I tried some tretmans but nothing wasn't helpful. There were some expensive products, some cheap, but nothing didn't help. I tried even with beer and it was the best solutions for now , but it helps from time to time. Now my hair is so soft, not strong, there aren't those beatufil strong curls. I'm thinking about strengthening my hair, just to make her look like something. I loved my hair so so so much because it was natural curly, without any tretmans, it was strong, fuzz in good way.
I was looking here for some solutions, as I said in the beginning, but I really can't find exact solution for my problem.
I will really appreciate any help and I would be so grateful for any tips or solutions.

Comments

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Well if your hair likes beer it sounds like your hair like proteins. What else do you use product wise on your hair? Shampoo and conditioner? Where do you live? Not all products are available everywhere. Do you air dry? How do you handle your hair when it is wet? If you provide that info maybe we can make more recommendations.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Posts: 583Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    If beer helps somewhat, I would suspect a protein deficiency. Try a protein treatment. On the "Science-y Hair Blog" (Google it) there's a section entitled, "Recipes." The gelatin treatment may work wonders for you. My hair gets as soft, and fluffy as cotton candy unless I do protein treatments, and have protein in all the products I use.
  • AcidAcid Posts: 40Registered Users
    chupie wrote: »
    Well if your hair likes beer it sounds like your hair like proteins. What else do you use product wise on your hair? Shampoo and conditioner? Where do you live? Not all products are available everywhere. Do you air dry? How do you handle your hair when it is wet? If you provide that info maybe we can make more recommendations.

First, tnx for these questions. I used just shampoo and conditioner and my hair was great back then. I just let my hair to dry itself, without any dryers. That was back then, as I said. Now when it's all djfuhsdfzhdsfw (I can't even describe what it looks like) I wash it, put conditioner, put some curl cream and leave her alone and hope for the best. But it's so dead, so thin, so aduhifsgzsg. Bigger problem is that I'm from Bosnia and, believe me, we barley have 5 products for curls. I've tried all of them, not at same time of course but it's just getting worse. Beer was the best solutions so I'm thinking about some natural solutions, it may help , cuz I really can't find some great curl product here. I know, it's so sad, but I didn't realized that before, cuz I didn't need it.
    I hope my answers are helpful to you, to give some advice.
    And thank you so much.
    BeinDeb wrote: »
    If beer helps somewhat, I would suspect a protein deficiency. Try a protein treatment. On the "Science-y Hair Blog" (Google it) there's a section entitled, "Recipes." The gelatin treatment may work wonders for you. My hair gets as soft, and fluffy as cotton candy unless I do protein treatments, and have protein in all the products I use.

Thank you for your answer, I went to hair dresser and he said me something like 'you know, it's not big deal, just leave it like that, it needs some 'rest' and it will comeback to what it was.' I was like 'okaaay'. I'll google it. The shampoo I was using back then , when my hair was awww and so on, was Herbal Essences but I can't find it here anywhere. So sad.
    Where can you ship from online?
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    Where can you ship from online?

I really have no idea , there are a lot of sellers who don't ship here. :dontknow:
    So I'm thinking some natural oils or something like that are better solutions, just because of that shipping.
    I was wondering about iherb.com. They have quite a bit of well priced stuff. And they ship to a lot of Europe. Look through Sciencey hair blog. Because she has good recipes for wash and condish, gels and treatments that are made from stuff you should be able to get a hold of.
    I was wondering about iherb.com. They have quite a bit of well priced stuff.

I just went to their web and there is no Bosnia on their shipping list, nor Croatia or Serbia. Poor ex yugoslavia :)
    Anyway, tnx for trying.
    Acid wrote: »

I just went to their web and there is no Bosnia on their shipping list, nor Croatia or Serbia. Poor ex yugoslavia :)
    Anyway, tnx for trying.

Look through here and see if you can get ingredients for any of these. Her oil blend is AWESOME. She has a good protein treatment. She has recipes for gentle cleansers and conditioners too. Science-y Hair Blog: Recipes and Projects
    Acid wrote: »

Anyway, tnx for trying.

Look through here and see if you can get ingredients for any of these. Her oil blend is AWESOME. She has a good protein treatment. She has recipes for gentle cleansers and conditioners too. Science-y Hair Blog: Recipes and Projects

This could be helpful, I'll try to find ingredients in nerb or nature pharmacy, thank you so much. Hope this will work out just fine for my awful hair.
    I would try the protein treatments or at least keep up the beer and treat it gently for a while.
  • SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    If your hair did well with just conditioner styling in the past (not needing a lot of hold, for example), you might do really well with just flaxseed/linseed gel for some definition. The seeds are so cheap, readily available at the grocery stores and it is so easy to make. The Science-y hair blog also has a few recipes to choose from the her site; I'd start with the basic recipe to see if your hair responds well to it.

The gelatin protein treatment is fantastic, by the way - my fine hair just loves collagen!

Welcome aboard :blah5:
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
    SpiralHam wrote: »
    If your hair did well with just conditioner styling in the past (not needing a lot of hold, for example), you might do really well with just flaxseed/linseed gel for some definition. The seeds are so cheap, readily available at the grocery stores and it is so easy to make. The Science-y hair blog also has a few recipes to choose from the her site; I'd start with the basic recipe to see if your hair responds well to it.

The gelatin protein treatment is fantastic, by the way - my fine hair just loves collagen!

Welcome aboard :blah5:

Thank you , I'll start with some recepies from the Science lady, just to check how my hair will act with that, as you said, and hope for the best cuz I think my hair can't be so much different, that anything wouldn't work. Thank you, once again.
    I would try the protein treatments or at least keep up the beer and treat it gently for a while.

Yeah , I think it can't be worse , just better with protein treatments. Hope so, thank you so so so much.
  • frcklsfrckls Posts: 528Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If you need to get some products online, there are some webshops that has some CG products and deliver worldwide.

iHerb is a good one and international shipping starts at $4 for up to 4 lbs. of product.
    You may also find some CG-safe products on BeautyBay and FeelUnique. They offer free shipping worldwide.

If you want to play scientist in lab and create your own products, Aroma-Zone (French) has an amazing array of ingredients and tools. Price is really competitive (dare I say, cheap, even), professional looking website and packaging and shipping fee isn't crazy. They ship to Malta for €8.90. Might be around the same or a bit more to Bosnia.

Another good one, but with less choice, is Of A Simple Nature (UK). Price is higher than Aroma-Zone, but shipping is slightly lower.
    2B/C canopy & 2A/B underlayer
    coarse | low-normal porosity | normal elasticity | low-med density
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Clarify: Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, Citric acid rinse
    RO/LI: Jason Moisturizing 84% Aloe Vera / Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
    Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
    Treatment: H&B Wonder Oil + VCO, Honey-Cardamom-EVOO-Chamomile
    frckls wrote: »
    If you need to get some products online, there are some webshops that has some CG products and deliver worldwide.

iHerb is a good one and international shipping starts at $4 for up to 4 lbs. of product.
    You may also find some CG-safe products on BeautyBay and FeelUnique. They offer free shipping worldwide.

If you want to play scientist in lab and create your own products, Aroma-Zone (French) has an amazing array of ingredients and tools. Price is really competitive (dare I say, cheap, even), professional looking website and packaging and shipping fee isn't crazy. They ship to Malta for €8.90. Might be around the same or a bit more to Bosnia.

Another good one, but with less choice, is Of A Simple Nature (UK). Price is higher than Aroma-Zone, but shipping is slightly lower.

Thank you for your suggestions, I'll see what I can get around here, after that I'll try with shopping online. Thank you once again, I'll bookmark these sites you've mentioned.
  • frcklsfrckls Posts: 528Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I forgot to add LookFantastic. They also offer free worldwide shipping.
    2B/C canopy & 2A/B underlayer
    coarse | low-normal porosity | normal elasticity | low-med density
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Clarify: Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, Citric acid rinse
    RO/LI: Jason Moisturizing 84% Aloe Vera / Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
    Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
    Treatment: H&B Wonder Oil + VCO, Honey-Cardamom-EVOO-Chamomile
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    I second protein treatments! the gelatin treatment rocks.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
    sixelamy wrote: »
    I second protein treatments! the gelatin treatment rocks.

Some of these must help, hope so.
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    I'm assuming you can find gelatin in your country so definitely try this:

Science-y Hair Blog: Gelatin Protein Treatment Recipe Update

Try it at half-strength first and see your results. If you get good or (seemingly) no results, go for full-strength! I'm assuming you don't know whether you have coarse, fine or medium hair, but if your hair is fine it will benefit from regular protein. Just fyi, there might begelatin sourced from different animals in your country but some/all may not be kosher/halal and it definitely isn't vegetarian.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    wavydaze wrote: »

Try it at half-strength first and see your results. If you get good or (seemingly) no results, go for full-strength! I'm assuming you don't know whether you have coarse, fine or medium hair, but if your hair is fine it will benefit from regular protein. Just fyi, there might begelatin sourced from different animals in your country but some/all may not be kosher/halal and it definitely isn't vegetarian.

Do gelatins label their sources? The only one I've found locally is knox, which doesn't specify (I don't think).

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT

Thanks for advice. Tomorrow is Day D, I'll try this recipe from Science Hair Lady, cross your fingers :)
    Remember to deep condition afterwards.
    naturecat wrote: »
    Do gelatins label their sources? The only one I've found locally is knox, which doesn't specify (I don't think).

No I don't think so! That would be easy. But I think you could probably find out if you inquired.

Hm. I also wonder about the sources of keratin....
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:

Neutral on cones.

This may not be necessary. If you have coarse or medium hair you may want to DT after a PT. I have fine hair and I never DT, not even after a protein treatment. If I DT-ed after a PT it would partially undo what the PT did for me.

Currently using:

Neutral on cones.

• Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur

This may not be necessary. If you have coarse or medium hair you may want to DT after a PT. I have fine hair and I never DT, not even after a protein treatment. If I DT-ed after a PT it would partially undo what the PT did for me.

Ditto. Instead of "always dt after a pt", it might be better to say "tailor your post-pt moisturizing to the level of post-pt dryness you experience." For some, that means a dt. For me, it's more like a moisturizing RO and/or LI.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed

Believe it or not, I haven't found anywhere here xanthan gum, I've searched in all nature, bio, herbal and so on shops, but people never heard of it. :angry4::angry4::angry4: They were like 'what gum? xan... what?' :angry4::angry4::angry4:
    And, what's even worse, I'm in the capital of Bosnia :angry4::angry4::angry4: so I've order it online from some croatian site and have to wait whole month to get it :angry4::angry4::angry4:
    So, I'll have to be patient , very patient in this particular case :angry4::angry4::angry4:
  • noodlynoodly Posts: 161Banned Users
    noodly wrote: »
    Did you dye your hair and/or are you a heat user? If so I think you're suffering from heatdamage. I suffered from it at least and it made my hair almost bone straight with some wonky waves/frizz. After cutting it a bit it got wavy and its now in a long pixie and looks super big, round and "curly"(and I haven't cut off all the dye!)
    I think you should definitely try cutting it a bit just to see if it would get wavier.

Yeah, I dyed it, but I'm not heat user. I dyed it before 7 years and nothing couldn't strenght it, damage it, it was so strong , I couldn't believe it. I tried cutting it , but it didn't help. Before this phase it was very long, it passed half of my back. I'm waitning for xanthan to see how it works. If that wouln't help I got one recipe from my aunt, who went trought chemo and doctor made mix for her hair, it helped a lot, she has strong, beautiful hair now.
  • noodlynoodly Posts: 161Banned Users

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file