Sexy Halloween Costumes: pro or con?

claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
There have been a few comments about members' feelings about sexy Halloween costumes in various threads, so I thought I'd start a dedicated thread on the topic.

Some women really seem to enjoy sexy costumes. Some women are appalled. What's your opinion?

Comments

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    There have been a few comments about members' feelings about sexy Halloween costumes in various threads, so I thought I'd start a dedicated thread on the topic.

Some women really seem to enjoy sexy costumes. Some women are appalled. What's your opinion?

I think it depends on the context of costume wearing. Certain places, sure why not. Others, no. Very very dependent on that, IMO. As just a straight sexy costumes ok or not. Sure, why not. People don't get to express that much. I don't see an issue. But , you know, answering the door, just so all the teen age boys come by. No. Adult party? Why not.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It all depends for me. I am not against sexy costumes as a general rule. I am snobby about cheesy sexy costumes in a bag. You know the same crap that younger women seem to go for year after year. Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader, Playboy Bunny Referee, Playboy Bunny Cheerleader, Little Bo Peek-a-boo... That crap. I was more of a Satan's Cheerleader kind of sexy. Old area high schools black and red cheerleading costume with Doc's. S&M Barbie. What have you. 99.9% of the time I go for something I can create and add too rather than pre packaged same old same old.

I think it depends on location. Am I going to dress up as S&M Barbie and hand out candy for the kids in a church parking lot? No. Am I going to go out to a bar or an adult party like that... Yes!!

I don't do sexy costumes every year, by any means. I like to switch it up and just go by my mood that year. I am not one thing, but there is nothing wrong with being sexy either.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Posts: 579Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It's quite annoying that virtually every adult female costume is marketed as "Sexy _______". Women can be more than just sexy & desirable, you know. I'm more about the oddball or creepy costumes like being a big box of Chinese takeout, a huge turd or the ugly-ass Cryptkeeper. I once told a co-worker that I wanted to be a box of Chinese food and she replied, "But that's not sexy!"

*vomit*
    CG since Dec. 2013  B)
    3b/c ~ fine ~ high porosity ~ low density
    No-Poo: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Shampoo 
    RO: Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner 
    Stylers: Tresemme Flawless Curls Mousse & Extra Hold Hairspray 

• mustangbunnymustangbunny Posts: 1,033Registered Users
    Depends. I'd probably do it more if I liked my body more. Some places it isn't appropriate. But for an adult party I don't see why not. I do think that some things should not be made sexy, though. It's all supposed to be fun, so I tend to think people should just relax. That being said, I get tired of certain costumes.

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
    Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
    Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
    :hockey:

• RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Ninja, I really never dress up for Halloween, so I don't have any personal experience with sexy costumes. But, I personally don't like the idea of putting my body parts out on display to be ogled. However, sexy doesn't have to mean breasts-popping-out revealing. The farthest I'd go would probably be fitted pants and a fitted top (no cleavage). I don't have an issue at all with women dressing fabulously and accentuating all that is beautiful.

I will say, though, that I really hate seeing that sort of "skimpy" look. I'm in college, so when I see the sorority girls teetering from frat house to frat house in their mini skirts and patent leather stilettos, I feel bad for them. Because we all know who they're dressing up for. It's not because they feel hot (because blisters on your heels are not sexy). It's because they want the attention of those boys who are pretty banal and useless, anyways.

So that is what I don't like. Women who deprecate themselves down to a pair of legs and plump behind.
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
    Hysterical

Men try on Sexy Halloween Costumes
    http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/6035558

These are the costumes I tend to find ridiculous. During the majority of my teen & 20 years you did not have a whole lot of this. People did sexy costumes, no doubt, but there were not as many on line halloween stores. People did not order. You made/put something together or drove to costume shops that had a much different variety. Not "Sexy Girl Scout" in bulk, year after year, after year.

But as they mention there are numerous other options for women. I think a majority tend to over look that. *At least they do in my town. You can go to 3 different places and see 12 sexy inmates. It bores me.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I do not remember Halloween being the big deal it is now back in college.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    chupie wrote: »
    I do not remember Halloween being the big deal it is now back in college.

As in no one cared or no one got as upset over costumes as people do now? Or both :)

Halloween has always been a huge deal to me and a lot of my friends. We love to dress up and go out and I have tried to do it every single year since childhood but there were still tons of people that could care less.

It's a much bigger deal in the closest city to me, Asheville, than it is in my town. And a better deal too. They have tons of bars & pubs, all have costume contests, and people really put some energy and effort into it. You see street performances based around costumes. I love it there!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I know so many people who rarely dress in tight or skimpy clothing and show little to no skin on a regular basis but they will go all out for Halloween. Like MB said, it's supposed to be fun. You get to dress up in something you would not normally wear or as someone you are not for one night and let loose. I have loved watching some friends leave the baby with the hubby for a night, and trade their t shirt covered in spit up for a tight mini dress and some heels. It gives them a little boost and return of some much needed, "I still got it" confidence. That is a great thing! I think a lot of women dress up more for themselves than for men.

I never had a problem wearing revealing clothing in school. That was simply my style and I could give a crap if people liked it or not. I took a lot of dance classes, was a cheerleader for county & my elementary school and grew up in leotards, body suits, crop tops and short skirts. Though we were more of your "perish sweater monkeys" variety of cheerleading teams. I never viewed showing my form as anything explicitly sexual or attention seeking. In dance it has a very important purpose. You need to see someones lines. The same can be said for several different types of athletics. It was always comfortable and normal for me. So are jeans and a tee. Anywho, point being, I think many different women have different comfort levels for different reasons.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • butter52butter52 Posts: 292Registered Users
    In my area sexy costumes (halloween or carnival) are usually worn by guys because its way more fun. The ladies usually dont wear those.
  • eveumeveum Posts: 744Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm not sure about this, like Rimi said, I have no problem, and welcome women feeling sexy and accentuating what makes them beautiful. I also have no experience in dressing up for Halloween beyond the kid stage.

The costumes themselves don't inherently bother me, women having fun dressing up in revealing clothing doesn't bother me, I think what bothers me a bit is that we've come to equate sexy with wearing little to no clothes, or that 'skimpy' look. Getting back to Halloween, Cat woman is sexy, Harley Quinn is sexy, yet both of them are almost fully covered up. I don't advocate that women should cover themselves up at all by the way, I just think there is more than one way to be considered sexually attractive.

As for whether I think they look GOOD, is another question. They're tacky, they're cheap and leave nothing to the imagination. But I imagine people wearing them already know this and are just having some fun. It's a matter of taste I guess. I'm not at all thin but I have a good curvy shape under fitted or tight clothes but I don't like to show a lot of skin, that is what makes me feel confident and I'm okay with it :)

Low Shampoo: Aveda Be Curly Shampoo
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture/ Perfectly Undone
    Treatments: SM Black Castor Oil Masque/ Packet Gelatine
    Leave in: Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
    Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
    Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost

Between Waist and Hip Length (stretched), 2C with 2B roots
    What I find disturbing this that lady bugs are sexy and sexy firemen (and apparently swat team members) wear tutus.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tengoRizostengoRizos Posts: 195Registered Users
    So, would you all be ok if I did this? ;)
    2c/3a mix and very fine, normal porosity
    Shampoo: Loreal EverSleek Sulfate-free (Only 1 or 2x a week)

CoWash Suave Naturals Coconut or VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze

Rinse Out: Giovanni 2chic Avocado and Olive Oil or GVPCB

Leave in: More Suave Naturals Coconut or GVPCB Always diluted with water/epsom salt spray

Products: AG Re:coil with EcoStyler Olive Oil gel or HETT gel

• CurlXTCeeCurlXTCee Posts: 379Registered Users
    Rimi wrote: »
    Ninja, I really never dress up for Halloween, so I don't have any personal experience with sexy costumes. But, I personally don't like the idea of putting my body parts out on display to be ogled. However, sexy doesn't have to mean breasts-popping-out revealing. The farthest I'd go would probably be fitted pants and a fitted top (no cleavage). I don't have an issue at all with women dressing fabulously and accentuating all that is beautiful.

I will say, though, that I really hate seeing that sort of "skimpy" look. I'm in college, so when I see the sorority girls teetering from frat house to frat house in their mini skirts and patent leather stilettos, I feel bad for them. Because we all know who they're dressing up for. It's not because they feel hot (because blisters on your heels are not sexy). It's because they want the attention of those boys who are banal and usually pretty useless.

So that is what I don't like. Women who deprecate themselves down to a pair of legs and plump behind.

THIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS!!!!!!! (+ breasts)

For me, it's about women perpetuating the ongoing problem of objectification of women through participating in the hypersexualization of everything we say and do. Wearing a sexy costume in and of itself is not the issue. Sexualizing ALL women's costumes is. As someone above pointed out, you're almost criticized if you don't wear a sexy or sexed-up costume today.

Ask yourselves: Why don't men feel the need to sex up their costumes to the same degree as women? They don't feel the need or pressure to do so. They're happy to provide the comedy portion of the show or simply fill the spectator position, especially since so many women are eager to provide the entertainment.

The person whom I wrote about in the "Say It..." thread attended another party last night, starting the evening in a sexed-up referee costume, along side her date's standard referee costume, of course. However, later in the evening she apparently transformed into a "zombie," shedding the ref costume to reveal booty shorts and a bustier, which apparently is standard zombie wardrobe?

Again, kudos to her for being confident and fit enough at almost 50 to pull off these looks almost flawlessly. And kudos for having so many parties to go to!
  • CurlXTCeeCurlXTCee Posts: 379Registered Users
    Fifi.G wrote: »
    What I find disturbing this that lady bugs are sexy and sexy firemen (and apparently swat team members) wear tutus.

Right??!! It's also the inequality of sexiness that bothers me.
  • CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Posts: 579Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    eveum wrote: »
    I think what bothers me a bit is that we've come to equate sexy with wearing little to no clothes

Exactly. That's the frat boy's definition of sexy. Anyone can wear skimpy clothes and be oogled at, that doesn't make you 'sexy', just half-naked.

Sexiness comes from within and is reflected in how one carries themselves, with confidence & and an aura of knowing their appeal without blatantly flaunting it in people's faces (regardless of their attire). Of course, that is much harder to achieve than wearing a skimpy costume with your **** & ass out.
    CG since Dec. 2013  B)
    3b/c ~ fine ~ high porosity ~ low density
    No-Poo: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Shampoo 
    RO: Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner 
    Stylers: Tresemme Flawless Curls Mousse & Extra Hold Hairspray 

• eveumeveum Posts: 744Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I can believe that a sexy ebola nurse costume exists...I just can't believe it costs £45 😦

Low Shampoo: Aveda Be Curly Shampoo
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture/ Perfectly Undone
    Treatments: SM Black Castor Oil Masque/ Packet Gelatine
    Leave in: Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
    Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
    Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost

Between Waist and Hip Length (stretched), 2C with 2B roots
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,348Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I like the note on the Ebola costume lol. It would be nice if there were more costumes that were not so skimpy but overall I like sexy costumes, wore one last night and damn it was too much for me these days, lol.

Oh and around here, the guys definitely wear some sexy costumes, lots of top less and almost naked guys, looking forward to see them this weekend!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using CurlTalk App
    Lol at the note on the Ebola hazmat costume.
    Haha! Right. I posted a HuffPo piece on a different Ebola costume in the offensive costume thread. It's a refurbished Breaking Bad costume with a note that it won't actually protect you from Ebola. Really? *Won't protect you when cooking meth either, btw.* Sad thing is, it is truly necessary. Just like the 'CAUTION, HOT' on cups of coffee. No isht!

Actually I find the Ebola nurse to be pretty funny commentary. Ebola itself and the fact that some health care professionals had outfits that left specific areas exposed... Not funny. The costume itself.... Exaggerated funny.

Good grief, my phone!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mustangbunnymustangbunny Posts: 1,033Registered Users
    I have an ex who was a hooters girl for Halloween one year. Does that count as sexy?

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
    Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
    Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
    :hockey:

• claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My bestie did a look in 98 inspired by this MM, VMA performance

ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1414354678.893732.jpg

He had a bright green spandex body suit, padded the chest area, and made silver stars to cover the chest and other bits. He had huge platform boots painted green and a black wig. Star Bleeper. That same year I painted myself green, wore my neon red wig, made a sash and threw on my purple sequin senior prom dress. I was Miss Intergalactic. I wish I still had a pic. A friend took one that was a double exposure. We were both doing different poses in the same shot. It was great.

You don't see too many men wearing spandex body suits in my neck of the woods. Not unless you go Ashevegas. You'll see it all there.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    I think it depends upon how a person presents themselves in it. I have no problem with it, unless the person in question is acting like a complete ho-bag or is showing a bit too much of what shouldn't be showing.

I'm guilty of wearing one a couple times. I was out with a guy friend of mine in one of them, and he tried to get in my pants because of it. He said, "Come on, act the part for one night." I'm not that type of person so I rejected him and he left for home in another state without saying goodbye. I never wore a sexy costume again.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
    ^ What a jerk!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    @sixelamy what. a. prick.

Because, God forbid, you wear something sexy to make yourself feel sexy. Nope. It must be so you can satisfy men. ALL HAIL THE PENIS.

LOL.

I, for one, am of the 'wear what makes you comfortable' belief. So if people want to dress more revealingly on Halloween, then that's their perogative and I don't think any woman should be made to feel like she can't dress that way, out of fear of being called a 'slut' or men acting like dressing that way means they should be 'up for it'.

That being said, I also REALLY wish the majority of women's costumes were not marketed as 'sexy'. It's good to have options, and I really wish there were just more options!

You have, for instance, a man's Halloween army outfit, which is normally quite bad-ass. The women's version? Almost always really short shorts and low-cut tank tops etc. Same with police outfits – the women's are suspenders and leather and just ARGH. Really?

That's what annoys me.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    Seeing as how I am waiting for my Jessica Rabbit dress to come in, you already know which side of the fence I'm on LOL. And if she doesn't come in, Im wearing thigh high boots and going as Edward Scissorhands. I have no other reason to own or wear thigh-high boots.

I like dressing up. i like wearing dresses. I like my body. I am a freaking H cup and I spend so much time trying to covering these girls up, i want to be able to take them out and have some fun. I don't get to dress up all the time so I'm excited about it. i find it fun. so I am going to get all dressed up and my orginal plan was just to go over my friends house for a halloween party but now I I have 3 to go to. but I was perfectly fine getting all dressed and going to something low-key. And at this party, its all about orginiality. I am more excited about my train and my make-up than I am my cleavage.

I am less annoyed with sexy and more annoyed with boring. Most of thost costumes in a bag are so blah.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,865Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Sexy can mean different things, so I can't make any broad statements. But in general, I don't like seeing women sexually objectifying themselves thru clothing or other means.

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice

because, god forbid, you wear something sexy to make yourself feel sexy. Nope. It must be so you can satisfy men. all hail the penis.

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

PS. why did it edit the caps into lowercase?? Interesting...
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,686Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I wear revealing clothes in my everyday life (low cut shirts, tight jeans, etc) so sexy costumes don't bother me. But many of the store-bought costumes are just plain ugly.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file