Washingtonians: What do you love about your area?

CurlXTCeeCurlXTCee Posts: 379Registered Users
My husband has been working in the Lynnwood area for the past several weeks, so we all may be looking at a move there sometime in the next 1 - 12 months. I'm not sure how I feel about this, but he needs this potential career boost, and I could use a life reboot, I suppose.

I'm completely over city living, but don't want to live in a rural area. I don't mind suburbia at all, as long as it's not more than 15-20 minutes from Seattle.

We currently have water views from every room, and I really need that for my sanity. I typically prefer newer-ish (last 25 years) construction areas and/or neighborhoods with sidewalks and trees. I love all the trees in WA state. I like the mountain-y feel they provide.

My fear is that we will be leaving all the awesome restaurants, shopping, and overall culture of where we live currently, but don't want to pay the high rent of Seattle proper.

I've tried true small-town living, and I hated it. I'm no longer super-fond of city living, either. I'm hoping for a happy medium, where the people and the culture are still progressive and diverse yet kind, courteous, and approachable.

What's your general area and what do you like (and what you don't) about it? Also, would appreciate any suggestions for great family-oriented communities in the area <30 north of Seattle (certainly no further than Everett.) We may be leaving the two eldest kiddos here ~ they're not interested in leaving.

Seeking:

~Affordability, but not low-income. Not sure of budget just yet, but probably something in the 1400 - 1900/mo rental range for starters, 2 bd/2 ba minimum
~Low crime rate
~Trees ~ overall lush, green, beautiful area
~Newer construction
~Vibrant restaurant and shopping district(s)
~Nearby body of water (lake, river, Puget Sound)
~Recreation (Parks, lakes, rivers, etc.)

Also, I would really love a referral to any realtors who assist out-of-town renters with finding rentals. That would be a lifesaver since I can't be there to search myself.

Comments

• CurlXTCeeCurlXTCee Posts: 379Registered Users
    Uh oh, no Washingtonians on the board today?
  • CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Posts: 590Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I was looking forward to reading more of this as I am planning to move to Seattle next July! :D
    CG since Dec. 2013  B)
    3b/c ~ fine ~ high porosity ~ low density
    No-Poo: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Shampoo 
    RO: Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner 
    Stylers: Tresemme Flawless Curls Mousse & Extra Hold Hairspray 

Maybe we'll have to get together and figure it all out ourselves!
  • reenireeni Posts: 149Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Well, I live in Washington, but not near Seattle. So I have no idea about that area.

There were a few Western Washingtonians on the board but I'm not sure if they're still around.

Sorry I wasn't more help.
    What a WONDERFUL day!!
  • TRBLTRBL Posts: 5,294Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Hermmmm, well I grew up in south west Washington, but haven't lived there in eons. I'm absolutely no help as to neighborhoods. Don't know that you have to worry too much about trees, since I don't remember any area west of the Cascades that didn't have plenty.

So basically I chimed in, but am no help :)

Visit Pike's Place market!
    When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy

"Dispute not with her: she is lunatic." -Richard III
    Thank you anyway! Pike's Place Market was already on my must see list.

I knew it was a long shot because I don't recall having seen much WA representation on the board. I discovered yesterday that one of my cousins has been living in Centralia for several years, so that's something.
  • TRBLTRBL Posts: 5,294Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I lived just south of Centralia/Chehalis (the twin cities! bwahahaha) in a little podunk town. My grandparents lived in Centralia for a long time. My G-pa took amaaaaazing pictures off their back deck when Mt. St. Helens blew. (ZOMG - I just realized that was nearly 35 THIRTY FIVE years ago)
    When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy

"Dispute not with her: she is lunatic." -Richard III

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file