Ouidad or Deva cut for thin curly hair? Or something else?

gsquaregsquare Posts: 1Registered Users
I have thin very curly hair (I'm halfway between 3a and 3b I think - thin soft hair that struggles with volume and humidity, but the curls are fairly tight) and I'm in desperate need of a haircut. I haven't gotten a haircut in a very long time (over two years) due to my stylist moving away and me being terrified of getting a bad cut but the time has come. Does anyone have any recommendations on what kind of haircut I should be getting? Whether it be Ouidad or Devacurl or something else? I straighten my hair once in a blue moon (maybe once every other month?) so it would have to work straight also. I'm in NJ, just a 10 minute subway ride away from Manhattan if anyone has any recommendations on salons either in NYC or northern NJ and/or the type of cut I should be getting. Please help!!

Comments

• Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    My understanding is that Ouidad's Carve and Slice works dryer for people who have very thick, bulky hair. If your hair is thin, you would probably be better off with a Deva cut.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,352Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i agree with corrina, i also always heard ouidad cuts were not good for thin hair.
    if you are in ny, i can HIGHLY recommend Carlos Flores at mario diab salon in soho, on broadway. he's been cutting my hair since 2006 -- at that time he was at devachan and was a top stylist and also went on trainings with lorraine massey. he cuts my all my curly family and friends' hair, ranging from 3c to 2a, and they all love his cuts (they are deva cuts).
    if you want to straighten your hair from time to time, tell that to whoever is cutting it and they will make sure ends are straight. (mine aren't but i only wear it curly and love the look of random curls.)

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I third the recommendation for a Deva cut, and second the recommendation of Carlos Flores.

Ouidad cuts can leave hair ends twiggy, and that's particularly undesirable for those of us without a whole lot of hair, and for those who straighten.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • multicultcurlymulticultcurly Posts: 5,136Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Corrina777 wrote: »
    My understanding is that Ouidad's Carve and Slice works dryer for people who have very thick, bulky hair. If your hair is thin, you would probably be better off with a Deva cut.

I agree.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using CurlTalk App
    3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
    HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
    Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
  • banjocurlbanjocurl Posts: 1,030Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    i vote for deva. my hair is also thin and curly, ana does a great job with me!
    Susan suburban NY
    3b going gray, not thick, waist length when wet, a bit below shoulders when dry
    CG since 11/11/04
    http://public.fotki.com/banjolady/
    PW: banjo
    HG: suave and honey for co-wash, deva, i use garnier fructis regular CO's or boots pink or white as leave ins and LA looks sport gel. plop w microfiber turban, then curl towel scrunch, then another turban.i sleep with the turban on. little one minute hair styling videos http://www.youtube.com/user/lazycurls
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Posts: 1,814Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Definitely Deva. I've had both over the years but my hair has gotten a bit thinner lately and the Deva cut works better

Sent from my SM-N900V using CurlTalk App
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file