Have to wash hair every two days - tangled! 3A

cristinam87cristinam87 Registered Users Posts: 15
ImageUploadedByCurlTalk1414066785.327305.jpg
Hello!
This is my first time posting and I hope someone can help.
I have very dry curly hair and the day after I wash it, it already becomes a bit tangled. I use little shampoo and tons of conditioner, I run my fingers through my hair to untangle it while it still has conditioner in.
After washing I usually apply some kind of oil right away, then pat it dry. I put moose in it and blow dry for a couple of minutes (just enough so that it's not wet).
This way, it usually ends up looking like the picture I attached which works for me.
I sleep with my hair untied. However, the next day it already doesn't look the same. I spritz some water on it to spring it up again.
The problem is if I leave it more than two days, it becomes a mess and when I have to wash it again, it becomes harder to untangle it.
I know with curly hair, the less you wash it, the better.
What are your tips to keeping it looking nice for longer?

Comments

• DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Registered Users Posts: 1,583 Curl Neophyte
    Oil typically doesn't work for my hair and ends up drying it out.

Have you tried a leave in?

My hair really hates oils and gets all tangly and hard to manage when I use them. I've tried several too. Coconut, jojoba, etc. If I do use an oil, it's usually with my deep treatment, but never as a leave in product. I hope that somewhat helps.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• cristinam87cristinam87 Registered Users Posts: 15
    Good to know, I'll try that, thanks!
    Do you do anything special to it when you sleep? I know some people tie it up but if I did that, the shape would stay that way (tied up) the next day.
    Good to know, I'll try that, thanks!
    Do you do anything special to it when you sleep? I know some people tie it up but if I did that, the shape would stay that way (tied up) the next day.

I don't do anything special to my hair at night. I don't even sleep on a satin pillowcase or anything. I tried putting it up, but my hair stays like that as well and isn't very manageable the next day. I've also tried sleeping with a satin scarf/cap and it didn't do much either. I find that I generally have to wet my hair every single day, or it looks crazy. Maybe I'm not putting enough product in at night, but I don't do my hair at night. I typically do a wash and go each morning and air dry on my way to work, and while I'm at work. I'm thinking of trying a nighttime routine, but I haven't yet. I definitely haven't gotten this curly hair thing down yet, and I've been at it for a while now. I find that my hair gets used to a product and then it stops working as well. Drives me crazy!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Thanks!
    I've learned to like my hair over the years but the biggest struggle is the tangling. Some people can go for days without washing their curls and they're fine. I guess every curly hair is different. I just want to make it easier to manage, I'll try the leave in conditioner.
    Thanks!
    I've learned to like my hair over the years but the biggest struggle is the tangling. Some people can go for days without washing their curls and they're fine. I guess every curly hair is different. I just want to make it easier to manage, I'll try the leave in conditioner.

Let me know if it works! =)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Air Dry

• CurlyInTheFogCurlyInTheFog Registered Users Posts: 876
    Having you tried conditioner-only washing? Not using shampoo at all? I think trying that, plus using leave-in (and you can probably use quite a lot), may make a big difference. I don't use oil at all any more. I found it didn't help me to retain moisture. I conditioner wash and use leave-in, and that's really helped. I used to have tons of tangles, but I pretty much have zero now.
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

Suave conditioner, LAL gel
    I will try that, thanks so much!
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Registered Users Posts: 1,632 Curl Neophyte
    When styling your hair shake your head around. This will somewhat keep your hair tangle free for a few days. I wash my hair once a week. On wash day, I use a denman brush to detangle my hair with loads of conditioner in my hair. I also use a leave in and loads of gel. My hair stays frizz and tangle free for a week.
  • BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Registered Users Posts: 2,075 Curl Neophyte
    I don't think it's 'the less you wash it the better'. Wash your hair when it needs it, and that's it. You don't want to put off washing for as long as possible, as that can clog your roots. The whole trying to not wash your hair too often thing, is just because people worry about stripping their hair of natural oils. But if you're not washing every single day and if you're using a gentle cleanser, you shouldn't worry. Just do what works for you. I normally wash my hair every couple of days.

Now, personally, oils aren't my friend. I ADORE them for pre-shampoo treatments, but I don't put them in my hair after I've washed it as they just make it greasy and it doesn't clump my hair right.

I notice you didn't mention a leave-in conditioner in your steps. For the majority of people, this is an essential step in their routine as it keeps hair moisturised and conditioned, and so aids in clumping and cuts down on frizz. If you don't want to buy a leave-in conditioner, you can always just use your normal conditioner as a leave-in.

Your next step is mousse. Now, for me mousse is always more fiend than friend. I find it sticky and that it doesn't clump my curls right and leaves my hair kind of matted and frizzy. That's not me saying all mousse is bad, but just I've never been wowed by it (and I don't think it's the best thing to use if you're blow-drying).

You may want to opt for a gel instead. A bunch of people here love gel, myself included. It has a bad rep, but it's honestly a life-saver. Gel clumps my hair very well and so makes my curls springy and lessens frizz. It dries hard, which is a 'cast' to protect your hair. All you need to do is scrunch your hair when it's dry and this hard cast will dissolve, leaving you with soft and springy curls. This is called SOTC (scrunching out the crunch) and is a technique many curlies swear by.

A lot of gels also work really well with hair dryers, in that they protect your hair while blow-drying – I don't mean protecting from the heat, I mean protecting as in keeping your curls in shape.

With blow-drying, do you use a diffuser? It's really important IMO that you do. A diffuser is one of those tools I think is essential for curlies who blow-dry their hair, even just for a little. It reduces frizz, aids clumping and just helps overall. Also, be sure to blow-dry on a low heat or cool setting, as high-heat can cause more frizz.

Hope some of that helps! :)
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
    Thanks for the advice. I used to use gel all the time but it made my hair too crunchy. I like the look and effect of mousse but it does dry out hair. This morning when I washed my hair I only used conditioner and then a leave in conditioning milk (and then added mousse) and I can already feel the difference. Which gel do you recommend? I'm always switching brands but I quite like Tresemme and Aussie.
    And yes, I use a diffuser but only for a few minutes and then let it dry naturally. I use a high heat which I know I shouldn't but I'm lazy... Should be more patient and use lower heat.
    Did you ever try to SOTC when you used gel before? It's a never-fail technique for me that gets rid of any crunch instantly.

Whereabouts are you from? Not sure what gels you can easily on the ground.

LA Looks Gels are most popular among folks here. Ecostyler gels also get a lot of attention. And they're both very cheap!

Other gels folks like:
    Kinky Curl Curling Custard (though personally I really didn't like this at all and thought it was very overpriced).
    Ouidad Climate Control Gel (I use this currently, but it is very pricey. Especially for me as I have to get it shipped from America because I'm in the UK).

I'm sure some of the other girls can recommend some others!

DC:

I live in London so I might look up what you recommended!
    I've never tried the SOTC method but I shall, thanks!
    Oh, in that case then you should try out the Umberto Giannini Curl Friends Scrunching Jelly! It's only a fiver or so in Boots. I've just seen they've re-done the packaging though, so not sure if they've also re-vamped the ingredients (I'll have to check on that at some point).

But yeah, that's an awesome gel that I always keep around!

Some other folks like the Boots Curl Creme, but I've never tried it, so I can't speak on that.

DC:

• KikiLaBoucheKikiLaBouche Registered Users Posts: 13
    I can definitely recommend the boots curl cream. I recently moved to Switzerland and joined a Swiss Curlies FB group, and even they were raving about it! We don't even get it here! It is ideal on wet or dry hair and doesn't make it crunchy. I use it in my normal product routine and top up my hair with it throughout the day if it's looking frizzy. For me it is an absolute essential, I brought 4-5 tubs with me!

I use the Garnier Fructis Endurance gel, but it seems to be difficult to find these days (I stocked up!). I also use boots purple gel (found next to the curl cream) because my hair needs a loooot of hold! However, I've never found that using gel makes my hair crunchy, but I apply it when it's very wet and also I have rather thick hair.

I wash my hair every other day as well, my hair looks terrible and my scalp becomes itchy if I don't, as well as my bf becoming whiny that it smells weird :angry3: I don't shampoo each time, I co-wash most of the time and it works for me!

Good luck :)
    Great to know all these tips, thanks everyone! Just washing it with conditioner this week has helped, I'll try the other tips as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file