My scalp is itchy but roots are greasy. Could it be shampoo or sulfates?

I lurked around for threads that adressed this problem or something close but haven't found lots so here we go. My hair is 3b/3a if that matters.

I used to co wash and my hair felt great and had volume but the last times I did it it made my hair really flat and it made me feel bald since it made my hair super flat. I stopped cowashing and switched to shampoo, shea moisture coconut and hibiscus to be specific. My hair felt greasy and smelt weird but had volume. Again after a few months of washing with that shampoo I got sick of greasy hair and went for the sulfate which was that herbal essences shampoo in pink clear bottle. It felt great at first, kinda greasy still but not as much. A few weeks passed and ughh greasy hair again and now my scalp was itchy as heck(although it might be because i've been paranoid with lice lately)

TL;DR: Used to cowash and hair was great until hair got flat so resorted to shampoo again and made it greasy and went to a sulfate shampoo and it made my scalp itch. Need help on truly organic shampoo/conditioner with understandable ingridients and debating if giving cowash another try

Comments

• wavydazewavydaze Registered Users Posts: 2,065 Curl Novice
    You may have had some buildup. A lot of people go back and forth between cowashing and low-pooing... like cowash 2x and then low-poo 1x, or cowash 2 weeks and then low-poo.... it can vary depending on what you need.

Itchiness or greasiness can be caused by a number of things including buildup, ingredient intolerances or allergies, or a number of scalp issues including dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis, etc.

My scalp and hair tend to do best with shampoos or cowash conditioners that are simple in ingredients and have a skin/hair-friendly pH. Shampoos with pH of 7 or higher tend to make my scalp itchy.
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    I lurked around for threads that adressed this problem or something close but haven't found lots so here we go. My hair is 3b/3a if that matters.

I used to co wash and my hair felt great and had volume but the last times I did it it made my hair really flat and it made me feel bald since it made my hair super flat. I stopped cowashing and switched to shampoo, shea moisture coconut and hibiscus to be specific. My hair felt greasy and smelt weird but had volume. Again after a few months of washing with that shampoo I got sick of greasy hair and went for the sulfate which was that herbal essences shampoo in pink clear bottle. It felt great at first, kinda greasy still but not as much. A few weeks passed and ughh greasy hair again and now my scalp was itchy as heck(although it might be because i've been paranoid with lice lately)

TL;DR: Used to cowash and hair was great until hair got flat so resorted to shampoo again and made it greasy and went to a sulfate shampoo and it made my scalp itch. Need help on truly organic shampoo/conditioner with understandable ingridients and debating if giving cowash another try

Check if the preservatives are different. That's what I am pretty sure makes me itchy in a lot of natural products. They generally use different preservatives than mainstream products.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • DCWavyLadyDCWavyLady Registered Users Posts: 373
    My scalp almost always gets itchy when I use a sulfate. I thought I had dandruff for years-I finally realized that avoiding sulfates was the answer. I only use a sulfate about once/month when I want to start off "fresh."
  • AnnwynOikoumeneAnnwynOikoumene Registered Users Posts: 4
    What shampoo brand do you use? Or do you cowash?
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    What kind of water do you have?

My roots were greasy for the first time ever recently. My scalp was also getting itchy. I had 2 separate problems. The itchy was from a preservative, and the greasy was from some hard water that I left behind when I moved. I chelated and it solved the greasy problem, and compared preservatives and ditched the one that was causing the itchies. All is well now.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights