Fall Frizz

MeiMei Curl NeophytePosts: 259Registered Users Curl Neophyte
With the weather getting wetter and wetter in this temperate rainforest in Canada, I am getting more and more frizz. It could be that I haven't been using mousse that often, but even on second day hair after product application the day before and spritz-down with water and a light amount of leave-in, I'm still dealing with the frizzies and droopy curls.

I wonder if there is a silicone-free product similar to Paul Mitchell's Super Skinny serum that would give me frizz control without a greasy residue?? I don't really wanna try another product but my hair looks terrible...
Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
Link: Updated hair picture January 2017

Comments

• bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Have you tried sealing your ends? I would reccomend that because it's a must for me. I have high porosity and use things like jojoba oil. I actually just washed my hair today and I used shea moisture's reconstructive elixir.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • MeiMei Curl Neophyte Posts: 259Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Thanks! I think I'm low porosity, does that matter? Clumping issues today, somewhat, but the frizz isn't as bad. I might have to suck it up and start using mousse every day.
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    No it doesn't matter that much sometimes oils can make low porosity look kind of greasy. Maybe you can try using a cg serum. I haven't tried the shea moisture one but their super fruit line has one that I believe is water based. You could give that a try. If you hace clumping issues maybe a stronger gel would help. Perhaps even something like ecostyler. Make sure you don't mess with your hair while it is drying and forming the gel cast, scrunch out the crunch when dry and I doubt you'll have any of these problems.

*Current Routine*

• russianprncssrussianprncss Curl Neophyte Posts: 450Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I live in a temperate environment, too (Northwest USA) and know exactly what you mean. I washed my hair yesterday afternoon and it wasn't even dry when I went to bed. My hair is low porosity, too, so as far as sealing goes, lighter oils seem to work best. I LOVE coconut oil for those purposes.

As far as frizz goes... A good, creamy leave-in helps (I just ordered CJ's Coffee Coco Curl Creme) and a mousse or cream for stylers work better. Also, try not to manipulate your hair too much as it dries. I'm thinking of getting a blow dryer and diffuser.

Hope that helps!
    2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
    Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
    Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
    Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I use a leave in conditioner and gel to keep down my frizz. I have corkscrew curls and they are frizz prone even at the roots. I use my tangle teaser to help style my hair and keep down frizz. Then I shake my head around. No frizz. To dry, I sit under a hooded dryer set on cool. Be careful when using a diffuser. A hair dryer with a diffuser set to cool the air will eventually get warm. Warm air on curly hair can cause frizz for some. So experiment.
  • KaZenner1990KaZenner1990 Posts: 859Registered Users
    Recent way to battle frizz is a specific gel I got. No matter what I put under other gels the only thing that works is this gel. And it's not even hardcore gel!!! Also great for second day reviving
    Schwartzkopf Taft vl 4
    uploadfromtaptalk1414278890635.jpg

[Properties for mobile users]
    Boticelli 2c/3A,M+C/ii, high porosity, medium elasticity, growing out color and heat damage. APL wet.
    2C/3A Botticelli/Corkicelli.Growing out color/heat damage
    M/C, Low/Medium/High Por, Normal Elast. Medium Density
    LP: INSIGHT DAMAGED HAIR Restructurizing Shampoo
    CO: Generic protein conditioner, Hair Academy Deep Cleansing CO
    DET/RO/LI: GNC Avocado And Shea Butter Conditioner +/mask,
    Styler: Schwarzkopf Taft Fixing GelWellaflex Instant Volume Boost Mousse
    DT: EVOO, C.O
    HG
    Goal: WL when curly
    CG since Feb 2014
  • MeiMei Curl Neophyte Posts: 259Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I need to find something with the PEG dimethicone... Everything here is all just dimethicone and silicones stretch out my curls BAD.

The coconut oil works but it leaves my hair looking and feeling sooo greasy, even a small amount of it makes it look bad. I picked up an argan oil spray in an even spray can and it works okay (would probably be better for second or third day curls to tame frizz), but still have that greasy look and feel. It may work better once it gets even colder than it is now.

I'm trying a gel I used last year, it's an eco-friendly gel from Garnier I believe. I use their leave-in which is very creamy and does help with the frizz but if I use too much it weighs down the curls as well so I have to be careful. I'm also trying a mousse from Aussie which seems to promote clumping but I think I'll need to diffuse when I use that product to get the most bounce out of my curls. I am getting a hair analysis done at the end of the month after my surgery so hopefully that will give me some insight into what ingredients I should be avoiding and what ones I should be using.

My boyfriend mentioned the Shea Moisture and I want to try it but I live in Canada... He's in Georgia (for the time being) so I might get him to buy me that water-based serum and mail it to me.
    What about the Curl Junkie curls in a bottle?

*Current Routine*