Great results

LillylulusmomLillylulusmom Posts: 21Registered Users
Hello Ladies,

I thought I'd post an update. A couple of weeks ago I posted that I wanted to enhance my curls after many years of straightening. So I waited until I got my hair analysis back from that etsy lady and I'm so happy I did. I have very coarse, healthy, low porosity and high elasticity hair.

She recommended reducing wheat and proteins for my kind of hair. So I went out and bought the DevaCurl One Conditioner and the Ultra Defining Gel. Washed my hair with it for the first time this morning and the difference is remarkable. My hair is now super curly but also way softer than ever before, after only one time.The frizz is also way less than before. I can't imagine what regular use will do to it.

In the past few weeks I also used a "regular" curly hair conditioner and a clarifying shampoo as well as a styling cream and gel but I've now stopped that.

I'm attaching two pictures from before / after - you can see the difference a bit but I can see and feel it. The first is today and the second is a couple of weeks ago.

What do you think? I'm super happy :-)
2C - very coarse | low-normal porosity | normal elasticity |
(by GoosefootPrints)

Comments

• chupiechupie Posts: 5,280Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    That's great!! You should look into flax seed gel.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • LillylulusmomLillylulusmom Posts: 21Registered Users
    What is flax seed gel and where could I get it?
    (by GoosefootPrints)
    You can make it (tons of YouTube vids) or order it from Sweet Curls Elixir on Etsy. It's hard too use too much and for hair like yours can also be a great refresher.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • frcklsfrckls Posts: 528Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Gorgeous waaavveess!!
    2B/C canopy & 2A/B underlayer
    coarse | low-normal porosity | normal elasticity | low-med density
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Clarify: Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, Citric acid rinse
    RO/LI: Jason Moisturizing 84% Aloe Vera / Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
    Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
    Treatment: H&B Wonder Oil + VCO, Honey-Cardamom-EVOO-Chamomile
    Thanks everyone. I will definitely make my own Flaxseed gel. From what I read from Goosefootprints, that's exactly what she's recommending for me :-) And if I can get away with less money I would be very happy!!!
    (by GoosefootPrints)
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,355Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    looks great! so much easier to just cut to the chase and find out our hair properties. not that that gets us to the best products, but it sure does direct us in the right direction, makes it so much easier.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • MeiMei Posts: 259Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It looks really good. I need to pay to have that test done too, probably at the end of this month. How do you go about sending the hair? I assume it has to be freshly washed and product-free?
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
    I think she has instructions at etsy.
  • noodlynoodly Posts: 161Banned Users
    Mei, you go on her etsy web page and she usually has only a limited amount of thoses analysis available at the beginning of the month. It's $27 to get it done. You just wash your hair and then you collect it within a few days to get hair from all parts of the head. Then, if you can see the roots you can just put them into a ziploc bag. If you cannot see the roots, I guess she wants you to put them on a piece of paper with the root side up and tape the hair. Good luck! It was absolutely awesome.
    (by GoosefootPrints)
    Update on Flax Seed Gel. I made my own and it was super easy. I have to say that I was initially really impressed by the consistency and ease of use. I added a bit of Avocado oil and castor oil to it and applied it to my freshly washed hair. It looked nice while the hair was wet and damp but as it dried, my hair just didn't get that curl definition that I would have liked. It wasn't either fish nor meat (LOL). Kind of wavy/curly/frizzy. Not bad but not awesome either. I guess I will have to use something else as well for the definition. I'm wondering if I can use the DevaCurl Ultra Gel as well as the Flax seed gel at the same time?

One thing I've noticed overall, which I find is huge though, is that my frizz has reduced drastically. I used to have those small hair standing up and I needed lots of gel to tame them but since I've stopped using all the "regular" products my hair is way softer and not as frizzy, so that's a plus.

What is your experience with flax seed gel?
    (by GoosefootPrints)
  • frcklsfrckls Posts: 528Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't seem to get the rave with FSG. Or at least my hair doesn't. I have the same hair properties as you do and on my hair, FSG makes my hair feels rather rough, if that makes sense. The clumping is great but it kills the volume. I also don't get as much slip as I'd imagined and since application is a bit draggy, I still get frizz. I mixed herbal tea, slippery elm, xanthan gum and oils to the FSG. Now I'm just using it up, mixing it with my Suave mousse that I want to use up as well.

Okra gel works much better on me. The one I made the first time was only plain okra slime with xanthan gum. My curls looks more beautiful with fat clumps, great volume, silky soft and gorgeous shine on the first try. I only need a little fixing to get 2-3 days hair. Oh, and the slip is amazing, too. And that was with no other additives other than xanthan gum.
    2B/C canopy & 2A/B underlayer
    coarse | low-normal porosity | normal elasticity | low-med density
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Clarify: Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, Citric acid rinse
    RO/LI: Jason Moisturizing 84% Aloe Vera / Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
    Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
    Treatment: H&B Wonder Oil + VCO, Honey-Cardamom-EVOO-Chamomile
  • Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Posts: 1,275Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Update on Flax Seed Gel. I made my own and it was super easy. I have to say that I was initially really impressed by the consistency and ease of use. I added a bit of Avocado oil and castor oil to it and applied it to my freshly washed hair. It looked nice while the hair was wet and damp but as it dried, my hair just didn't get that curl definition that I would have liked. It wasn't either fish nor meat (LOL). Kind of wavy/curly/frizzy. Not bad but not awesome either. I guess I will have to use something else as well for the definition. I'm wondering if I can use the DevaCurl Ultra Gel as well as the Flax seed gel at the same time?

One thing I've noticed overall, which I find is huge though, is that my frizz has reduced drastically. I used to have those small hair standing up and I needed lots of gel to tame them but since I've stopped using all the "regular" products my hair is way softer and not as frizzy, so that's a plus.

How much FSG did you use? When you finish applying, you want all your hair to be coated and feel (for lack of a better word) slimy. It should sound like a wet sneaker when you scrunch. For my armpit length, medium density hair, that means at least 1 ounce of FSG. Maybe 1.5 ounces max. That much leaves me with minor crunch to SOTC once my hair dries.

Plain FSG doesn't have a ton of hold on its own, but if one likes light hold, it's awesome. Many of those who prefer stronger hold use FSG as more of a clump enhancer and curl definer, then top with a commercial gel. It plays well with most gels, and yes Deva UDG would work. I've been topping mine with some L'Oreal Studio Clean gel lately, and it's worked nicely. Another option is to add ingredients to FSG that increase the hold. Science-y Hair Blog's FSG recipe page lists a few.
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure Luxurious Argan Oil
    CO: Suave Essentials Strawberry, V05 Kiwi Lime
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
    Stylers: LALSG, AIF, HETT, Suave Professionals Firm Control
    PT: IAGirl's as needed

Sure. Use the gel right over the top, or mix them. I would layer first though. The FSG will act on keeping the frizz down and clumping and the gel as definer, and hold. You can experiment in future batches of FSG adding hold ingredients. I think most use Xanthum Gum. But there absolutely no trouble layering it with another gel.
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When I make flax seed or okra gel, I make LARGE batches and freeze them in 4 oz bottles (I do use commercial preservative.) While I know what I like as far as ingredients go, some ingredients can't be frozen (for me SKB), so I add them in when I defrost. You could make a LARGE batch and freeze it in a size container that would work for you--and add different ingredients when you defrost. That way, you can test ingredients without adding extra work. You can also customize for the current weather.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    kathymack wrote: »
    When I make flax seed or okra gel, I make LARGE batches and freeze them in 4 oz bottles (I do use commercial preservative.) While I know what I like as far as ingredients go, some ingredients can't be frozen (for me SKB), so I add them in when I defrost. You could make a LARGE batch and freeze it in a size container that would work for you--and add different ingredients when you defrost. That way, you can test ingredients without adding extra work. You can also customize for the current weather.

Can I ask how large is LARGE? I recently figured out I can make 4 cups gel with a 15 minute boil, starting with 3 Tbsp seeds, and 5 cups of water. I wouldn't mind making a bigger batch at once though.
    CG since 11/2011

Go To Products /Routine:
    RO /LI: Tresemme Perfectly (un)Done, Cure Care, V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze, Suave Essentials Strawberry, Renpure Brazilian Keratin (old formula)
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Geek_Chic wrote: »
    Can I ask how large is LARGE? I recently figured out I can make 4 cups gel with a 15 minute boil, starting with 3 Tbsp seeds, and 5 cups of water. I wouldn't mind making a bigger batch at once though.

I probably do 4-6 cups when it's finished. Haven't made either since Summer, 2013! I have fine/low porosity/low density hair. While flax seed and okra gels are products I use more of, I don't use a lot of anything. Also, I rarely use any product more then once a week.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    kathymack wrote: »
    Geek_Chic wrote: »

I probably do 4-6 cups when it's finished. Haven't made either since Summer, 2013! I have fine/low porosity/low density hair. While flax seed and okra gels are products I use more of, I don't use a lot of anything. Also, I rarely use any product more then once a week.

lol Wow 2013! I guess I'm already doing a large batch. It goes fast when I use an ounce of the stuff each wash day and am making it for 2 people to use. I probably make up a batch once a month or so.

:) Thanks Kathy
    CG since 11/2011

Go To Products /Routine:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file