Spitting in public

CurlXTCeeCurlXTCee Posts: 379Registered Users
I don't mean discreetly; I mean unapologetically hawk up and spit out a loogie (sp?) wherever, whenever.

Do you feel it's acceptable for males but not females?

Unacceptable for either?

Acceptable for either?

Comments

• eveumeveum Posts: 744Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't know anyone who doesn't recoil in disgust if someone walks past them and spits on the ground. I think male/female is irrelevant. It's an unnecessary and dirty habit.

Low Shampoo: Aveda Be Curly Shampoo
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture/ Perfectly Undone
    Treatments: SM Black Castor Oil Masque/ Packet Gelatine
    Leave in: Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
    Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
    Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost

Between Waist and Hip Length (stretched), 2C with 2B roots
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,231Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It's disgusting and unacceptable for anyone. Period.
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Disgusting from either gender.

I had a friend (male, platonic) who had a teenage daughter who spit in public. He told her not to, but I had the feeling he was just doing it for appearances. The scolding I'd have received if I'd tried anything like that at her age would have been extraordinary.
  • CurlXTCeeCurlXTCee Posts: 379Registered Users
    I agree wholeheartedly that it's an absolutely vile act, irrespective of gender.

This isn't at all a commentary on traditional gender roles, and I'm using the words "male" and "female" here because I'm talking about people of all ages. I am just surprised by how many females I have seen publicly spitting because it's not something I've seen until recent years, and my kids all seem to find it normal, asking, "What are we supposed to do...swallow it?" Well, this may be TMI, but, yeah, that's precisely what I do! We've taught them all not to spit in public as well, but I'm wondering if they do it when I'm not around.

I saw a young woman crossing a busy street this morning spit out a huge white wad without hesitation. Every time I see this I'm shocked but wondered if I was being a bit provincial. I'm unfortunately used to seeing males do it, though no less disgusted by it.

And, let's keep it real...most (not all) females want to maintain and project some degree of femininity, so I'm wondering how public spitting figures into that for them and to those who observe them doing it.

Also, if memory serves me correctly, all of the females I've seen spitting publicly were Asian, including the woman this morning. Is this perhaps just a cultural thing? What has been your experience?

I really just can't imagine that the spitters of the world don't mind stepping in others' spit as well, tracking it onto their car carpets and floors at home.
    eveum wrote: »
    I don't know anyone who doesn't recoil in disgust if someone walks past them and spits on the ground. I think male/female is irrelevant. It's an unnecessary and dirty habit.

See, that's what I don't understand. I can only assume that people who spit don't find it revolting when they see someone else spit? I don't get it.
  • mustangbunnymustangbunny Posts: 1,033Registered Users
    I think it's pretty gross and I've tried, to no avail, to stop my bf from doing it. I will say that at least when he does do it, it's usually not when a lot of people are around and it's not a huge, nasty, viscous kind of thing. Still, I wish he'd stop. One day I will step in it and there'll be hell to pay.

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
    Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
    Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
    :hockey:

• DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    M husband used to do this. I couldn't stand it!!! I would always ask him to stop, and finally, he got the message.

He gets it from his father, who will spit (gross audio and all) anywhere he wants. In the trashcan, out the window, walking down the street, on the ground. NASTY.

In general, I find spitting to be disgusting.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

DaniGirl88 wrote: »
    M husband used to do this. I couldn't stand it!!! I would always ask him to stop, and finally, he got the message.

He gets it from his father, who will spit (gross audio and all) anywhere he wants. In the trashcan, out the window, walking down the street, on the ground. NASTY.

In general, I find spitting to be disgusting.

Mine, too, and he also eventually stopped, at least in my presence. Haha, yes, the accompanying soundtrack. Older men are the worst about this, and, I get it; as we age, we seem to produce an excess of more persistent phlegm. But, for the love of all that is good...!
  • BluebloodBlueblood Posts: 1,748Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It's disgusting.

I think where I am it's become more common as some sportsmen do it and the fact people aren't so scared of catching TB.

We use to have public information films in the UK to tell people everything to how to walk down country roads in the dark, to use a hankie if you had a cold. I wouldn't be surprised if this was included as a thing not to do.
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm not fond of anyone spitting. I do live in an area where several men dip chewing tobacco and just as many women used to dip snuff. That was incredibly common with the 70+ year olds when I was a small child. My great grandmaw and baby sitter both dipped and spit into a dainty/fancy little jar. The men here have always spit in whatever, whenever. Cups, bottles, trash cans, the ground. That bothers me enough but seeing and hearing someone hack up a giant glob is beyond disgusting. If you must, find a napkin and politely dispose.

Like a few of you I had an ex who did this. He would also cover one nostril and literally blow snot out of his nose. That relationship did not last long. Nasty! And he was raised by his grandmother who would not have put up with something like that for a second. I believe he picked it up in the military.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Fifi.G wrote: »
    I'm not fond of anyone spitting. I do live in an area where several men dip chewing tobacco and just as many women used to dip snuff. That was incredibly common with the 70+ year olds when I was a small child. My great grandmaw and baby sitter both dipped and spit into a dainty/fancy little jar. The men here have always spit in whatever, whenever. Cups, bottles, trash cans, the ground. That bothers me enough but seeing and hearing someone hack up a giant glob is beyond disgusting. If you must, find a napkin and politely dispose.

Like a few of you I had an ex who did this. He would also cover one nostril and literally blow snot out of his nose. That relationship did not last long. Nasty! And he was raised by his grandmother who would not have put up with something like that for a second. I believe he picked it up in the military.

Snot rockets! Blargh! I had a nasty female childhood friend who began to chew tobacco in her teens and was really like one of the guys, just with beautiful long, wavy blonde hair, blue eyes, and breasts. Much to my chagrin, she also introduced me to snot rockets. I recently saw a guy walking down a very public walking/biking trail which runs along a busy road. He took a quick look around to see if anyone on the trail was watching him, and he reached up, closed one nostril, and blew a rocket out of the other. Soooooo vile. I wasn't all that close to him, and I could see it fly out of his nose. I was hoping he'd see me watching him, but he was only concerned with the area immediately around him.
  • StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    It's foul. From anyone. Though I am lucky, it seems, that I haven't seen females doing it.

That blowing through one nostril thing is revolting too, I see sportsmen doing it and I'm sure it makes people think it's acceptable somehow. It's not.
    3b in South Australia.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I grew up w/ a father who did that. It's gross I guess but I'm fairly desensitized to it. It was a macho thing of a different generation.

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    My grandpa did it all the time. Not like in the middle of a crowd in public, but like spitting out his car door or in a parking lot.

I've always found it digusting. I'm surprised a guy I work with doesn't spit in his garbage can all day long - we have to put up with him hacking up his pancreas and sniffing his arm up his sinus everyday.

All in all, from whoever, it's really gross.

On the other hand, some people need to get it out. Where else are they going to put it? It shouldn't be done in an 'in your face' kinda way though. Grab a napkin. My grandpa would do that while at church or somewhere "proper".
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    CurlXTCee wrote: »
    Fifi.G wrote: »

Snot rockets! Blargh! I had a nasty female childhood friend who began to chew tobacco in her teens and was really like one of the guys, just with beautiful long, wavy blonde hair, blue eyes, and breasts. Much to my chagrin, she also introduced me to snot rockets. I recently saw a guy walking down a very public walking/biking trail which runs along a busy road. He took a quick look around to see if anyone on the trail was watching him, and he reached up, closed one nostril, and blew a rocket out of the other. Soooooo vile. I wasn't all that close to him, and I could see it fly out of his nose. I was hoping he'd see me watching him, but he was only concerned with the area immediately around him.

It should be illegal. I cussed him up one side and down the other after I saw him do it in his kitchen sink. I also handed him bleach. He had so many disgusting habits. He was like a toddler.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file