Christmas shopping

Comments

• StarmieStarmie Posts: 7,169Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Well, I bought some wrapping paper, tags, crackers and a toy for Jed.
    At least it's a start.

It's DS2's birthday today, DS1 and my Dad's on the 4th Nov, my nephew and sister both in Dec and a new baby (nephew's) about to arrive, mid Nov. It's all a bit too much and I think why Xmas is stressful for me.
    3b in South Australia.
  • DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    scrills wrote: »
    The machete or the crossbow pistol? Actually, they are both on amazon. let me know if you want more details

The crossbow. Thanks!!!! =)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

• scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    How do i keep all this from falling down

Sent from my SPH-L720 using CurlTalk App
  • RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    scrills wrote: »
    How do i keep all this from falling down

Sent from my SPH-L720 using CurlTalk App

You can poke little holes on the sides of each object and loop clear wire through the holes and around the object, securing it in the back.
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
  • eveumeveum Posts: 744Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I am poor, so I have a budget of £55 for 6 people including my boyfriend..
    I am planning on making everyone home made boxed red velvet cupcakes and peppermint creams as like a side present. I am also planning on making the gift bags and cards myself to save money. My mum is getting her favourite soap from LUSH and a bath bomb, my dad socks, my sisters each a shower gel from Lush as well.

I'm completely stuck on what to get my boyfriend. I have a budget of £20 for like the main part of the gift. I would like to get something that he could keep (so not more food/candy etc.) but can't think of anything. I don't want it to be anything soppy or gimmicky like all the crap that comes up when I Google gift ideas for men. It is his birthday next week and I predominantly did handmade stuff for that too which stressed me the **** out because it took so much of my time. So I think what I want to do is limit the sort of home-made aspect of my gifts to the cakes, candy, wrapping and cards.

Low Shampoo: Aveda Be Curly Shampoo
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture/ Perfectly Undone
    Treatments: SM Black Castor Oil Masque/ Packet Gelatine
    Leave in: Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
    Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
    Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost

Between Waist and Hip Length (stretched), 2C with 2B roots
    eveum wrote: »
    I am poor, so I have a budget of £55 for 6 people including my boyfriend..
    I am planning on making everyone home made boxed red velvet cupcakes and peppermint creams as like a side present. I am also planning on making the gift bags and cards myself to save money. My mum is getting her favourite soap from LUSH and a bath bomb, my dad socks, my sisters each a shower gel from Lush as well.

I'm completely stuck on what to get my boyfriend. I have a budget of £20 for like the main part of the gift. I would like to get something that he could keep (so not more food/candy etc.) but can't think of anything. I don't want it to be anything soppy or gimmicky like all the crap that comes up when I Google gift ideas for men. It is his birthday next week and I predominantly did handmade stuff for that too which stressed me the **** out because it took so much of my time. So I think what I want to do is limit the sort of home-made aspect of my gifts to the cakes, candy, wrapping and cards.

I think homemade gifts for the fam is a great idea! That's pretty much what I'm doing as well.

As for the boyfriend, does he have any cool hobbies? Maybe you can get something for that. Like a whittling knife if he's crafty or some rendering markers if he's into sketching.

You said you already made him some homemade stuff...that may well be enough! However, if you still want to get him something practical and useful, maybe you can get him a few t-shirts on clearance from topshop or something. Or you can buy him a proper hair pomade or even some socks!

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,729Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I also love to give and get homemade gifts. I think all your gifts sound great, rimi.

I got my soaps made today so they have a couple months to cure.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Sephora friends and family sale means shopping is done for my mother (birthday and Christmas), my two sisters, sister-in-law, and the four managers at work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
    My family is going on vacation for Christmas this year, so a lot of the gifts I'll be giving will likely be mailed out. They'll also be baked goods!

For my maternal grandmother and her husband, I'll be making a loaf a banana bread (to eat with her morning coffee!). I'll probably also make a loaf for my maternal aunt and her family.

I'll be preparing and sending roasted cashews to my grandparents in Chester, PA. I'm thinking of seasoning them with chocolate powder or cinnamon.

My paternal grandmother and aunt will be receiving pistachio brittle. I'll probably make a big batch and send some to my cousins (5), too.

Green tea and peppermint spice cookies will probably go to my boyfriend's mom and dad, although I'll probably be able to drop those off. For his brothers, I think I'll give one of them some of the extra cookies, and the other will get some candied grapefruit, since he is vegan.

I'm actually not sure about the tea and spice cookies. I'll make a batch either next weekend or the weekend after to make sure they taste delicious.

My immediate family + my boyfriend will probably each get a homemade lip balm (for their stockings), in addition to other things.

The boyfriend doesn't like gifts, but I love giving, so I'm just going to give him a box of stuff I know he needs. In it will go a couple of discount short-sleeve and long-sleeve t-shirts, a couple of pairs of socks (not white!!!), perhaps a small beeswax candle, a homemade hair pomade, a nice sweater (if I can find one on sale) and probably a bottle of draino for his tub.

For my dad, I'm thinking of getting him a couple of vintage batman comic books from a nearby bookstore. If I can find some from the 60s or 70s, that would be a dream!

I'm stuck on my sister...not sure about her yet. If I could figure out something to make that would put my design skills to good use, that would be great.

I might make my mom an infused oil, and siphon it into a really elegant glass bottle with a glass stopper. It would look so beautiful on her dresser!

• DaniGirl88DaniGirl88 Posts: 1,583Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    We're drawing names again this year and have a $50 limit. So, I'll have to see who I get.

As for my husband, I don't know yet. His birthday is next week, so I am currently focusing on that. I figured I would do a gift each day, starting on November 1st, leading up to his birthday. So, 9 gifts total (8 small ones and one bigger one). So far, I ordered the crossbow Scrills told us about (thanks again!), and got some headphones for him to listen to music at work with. I'm thinking I might make him dinner one night (he's the chef, so this would be completely out of the ordinary), and get him some of his favorite candy another day. Christmas might have to be a gift certificate to his favorite tattoo shop.

For my in laws, I was thinking about taking them all to get family pictures done and having a spending limit. Not sure yet though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

3B, fine, normal porosity, high density, medium width and length
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals, Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle
    Co-Wash: As I Am Coconut Co-Wash
    Leave in Products: As I Am Leave-In, SM Smoothie/Milk, KCKT, Giovanni Direct Leave-In
    Air Dry

Looking for new products and methods to try!

yay!!! Crossbow pistols!
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I have NO FRIGGIN CLUE what to get anyone this year. Usually I at least know what both of my kids want. But drawing a blank on everyone now.

I really want a watch from my boyfriend. (Bc it's one of the easiest things to buy from among my want-list.) But I don't know how to bring it up. LOL I've never asked for anything from a boyfriend or fiancee before and was even shy about it for the first couple of years I was married. LOL Normally guys just kinda guess. But my current boyfriend, like my exhusband, is barking up all the wrong trees. IDK how to handle this.

I find this whole practice of gift-giving that you humans participate in to be most baffling!:banghead:

I have NO FRIGGIN CLUE what to get anyone this year. Usually I at least know what both of my kids want. But drawing a blank on everyone now.

I really want a watch from my boyfriend. (Bc it's one of the easiest things to buy from among my want-list.) But I don't know how to bring it up. LOL I've never asked for anything from a boyfriend or fiancee before and was even shy about it for the first couple of years I was married. LOL Normally guys just kinda guess. But my current boyfriend, like my exhusband, is barking up all the wrong trees. IDK how to handle this.

I find this whole practice of gift-giving that you humans participate in to be most baffling!:banghead:

Just tell him. Better yet, give him a list of 5 or so things and let him pick. That way you'll be kind of surprised.

I made the mistake of trying to leave clues for my boyfriend last year, and he ended up getting me a bamboo plant.

I know how you feel spider - no clue.
    My kids are ok, I know what they want, and my SO has treated himself to a new bike, so he's sorted, it's my family in the UK I struggle with. Even if I do come up with ideas I have the issue of weight and postage, it takes any pleasure out of it all.
    3b in South Australia.
  • PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Starmie wrote: »
    I know how you feel spider - no clue.
    My kids are ok, I know what they want, and my SO has treated himself to a new bike, so he's sorted, it's my family in the UK I struggle with. Even if I do come up with ideas I have the issue of weight and postage, it takes any pleasure out of it all.

my mum stopped sending to her family in the UK for this reason - now she and my sister are doing handmade cards instead.
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
    yeah, I can't find shipping for under $20 for the UK. and that's just for one of 2 pound items!
    I was thinking of getting my sister some footie pajamas. I found some at Target for $25, but that might be out of my price range.

I decided on a blender for my sister
    87% done.
    need:
    2 giftcards
    a shirt (waiting for blackfriday/cybermonday)
    a bracelet

next up: helping my sister get hers done (I ordered part for her today)
    Ok gift gurus, I need help! I'm almost done with my Christmas shopping but am in desperate need of suggestions for a gift.
    I've mentioned my former choir director in a couple other threads. I've known him for 10 years now, and we've discussed having feelings for each other for 7 of those years. After he moved I got brave enough to try kissing him, and it appears that things might finally be moving in that direction. I will more than likely be spending Christmas with him and his mom, since my parents will be traveling. Given the odd nature of our relationship, I have no idea what to give him for Christmas.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
    Corrina777 wrote: »
    Ok gift gurus, I need help! I'm almost done with my Christmas shopping but am in desperate need of suggestions for a gift.
    I've mentioned my former choir director in a couple other threads. I've known him for 10 years now, and we've discussed having feelings for each other for 7 of those years. After he moved I got brave enough to try kissing him, and it appears that things might finally be moving in that direction. I will more than likely be spending Christmas with him and his mom, since my parents will be traveling. Given the odd nature of our relationship, I have no idea what to give him for Christmas.

I would get him something thoughtful, yet noncommittal.

Does he have any interests or hobbies?

Does he decorate a tree? You can find a cute/funny/whimsical ornament or maybe a coffee mug (I love mugs, and they have them for every possible thing). A book he's been wanting. A journal. New phone cover. Funny socks. Coffee.
    Rimi wrote: »

Pretty much his whole life is music, and because he was a music teacher plus a choir director he has every imaginable music themed item.

He did mention an interest in sports, so I might need to pry some more info from him and pursue this avenue.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    PerriP wrote: »
    Does he decorate a tree? You can find a cute/funny/whimsical ornament or maybe a coffee mug (I love mugs, and they have them for every possible thing). A book he's been wanting. A journal. New phone cover. Funny socks. Coffee.

I like the ornament idea. And there was a book I told him about that he said he was interested in reading...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Rimi wrote: »

Pretty much his whole life is music, and because he was a music teacher plus a choir director he has every imaginable music themed item.

He did mention an interest in sports, so I might need to pry some more info from him and pursue this avenue.

Does he have a record player? Maybe a vinyl from an old record store would be cool.

Food is always good.

• jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Posts: 20,729Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Take some of those suggestions and put them together. Get a container/basket/grocery tote (something he can reuse) and fill it with his favorite snacks, nuts, candy, a book, an ornament with his favorite sports team on it, maybe a video (an old musical?). Nothing too over the top personal, but enough to show that you know his favorite things after 10 years.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
    Take some of those suggestions and put them together. Get a container/basket/grocery tote (something he can reuse) and fill it with his favorite snacks, nuts, candy, a book, an ornament with his favorite sports team on it, maybe a video (an old musical?). Nothing too over the top personal, but enough to show that you know his favorite things after 10 years.

I like this idea!

Thank you to everyone for the great ideas! I went shopping today and picked up an ornament from Hallmark (from A Christmas Story, which is his favorite holiday movie), then walked past Brookstone and found the perfect thing to add to the ornament. He commented over the weekend that he loved the Play Doh idea I had last year. Brookstone sells this sand stuff that sticks to itself and never dries out, so I got him a container of sand and a sandbox. Then I rewarded myself with a gift for me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Headed off to the city today and actually had a productive day. All cards bought, parents sorted and plans for sister and niece in place. BIL and nephew and his gf still problematic.
    3b in South Australia.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file