Curlies who get your brows threaded...

sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
How long do you go between visits?

I had mine threaded for the first time today and I was intending on just indefinitely plucking new growth as I see it come in. I googled this question and no other answers except for every 2 - 3 weeks came up. The main benefit of the threading for me was the shaping because I'm bad at doing it for myself, so my goal is basic shape maintenance. If it's not as tightly manicured of a look as the freshly done brows, that's okay.
“It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

3B ■ Medium/Course ■ High Porosity

Comments

• PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I used to go every 10 days, but I'm hairy! My threader discouraged plucking between visits (it made it harder for her to thread). I went to her quite often for a few years then I moved. I haven't threaded since, mostly because I've gotten more frugal so I usually get a good wax job then keep up with it for several months

I think if you just let done new growth come in before you go back for shaping, you should be able to do it
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users
    Every 4 to 6 weeks, but I like to have thick, slightly unruly eyebrows. They look best to me a week or two after threading.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,244Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Ideally I should go around every 3- weeks, sometimes more or less, but i end up going once a month or less. In between, I'll wax the obvious strays if I'm trying to look extra nice.
  • sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
    Thanks for the responses! I should have checked into this before going in. I love the results so if I can't upkeep it myself, I'm going to have to go back regularly.

What do you tip? The threading cost $10, and tipping didn't even cross my mind until (thankfully) I saw the tip jar. I tipped $2.
    “It was only a sunny smile and little it cost in the giving but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living.” - F. Scott Fitzgerald

• sew and sewsew and sew Posts: 3,443Registered Users
    So I just did the math and if I go every 3 weeks, that's $207 a year (with the $2 tip). Cripes. I think I'm going to make myself master self-shaping.

• PerriPPerriP Posts: 6,613Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I've found that the Nad's pen works well for upkeep in between. I like it a lot

http://www.nads.com/hair_removal_facial_wand
    Modified CG since Dec 2011
  • NYCgirlNYCgirl Posts: 236Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I maintain my shape with a brow razor I bought from Sephora, they are available at other stores but I prefer this one in particular. I just quickly "wisk" any brow stubble on a regular basis and have maintained a freshly threaded look since the last time I got them done..... back in February! When I'm ready for a new shape altogether, I simply let them grow back in
    , go get them threaded and maintain with a brow razor. I also will cut the brow hairs that get too long or curl the wrong way with a small, sharp scissor.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using CurlTalk App
    • Oils: EVOO,JBCO, Almond Oil
    • Cleanse: SM JBCO Replenishing Shampoo, Jane Carter's Conditioning and Cleansing Co-Wash
    • Pre-poo: Trader Joe's Coconut Oil, Elucence Moisture Balancing Conditioner
    • LI: CRN The Leave-in Collection,
    • DC: LUSH Deep Conditioning Treatment by Miche Beauty, Cantu Deep Treatment Masque
    • PT: CJ Repair Me, Mielle Organics Babassu Oil Mint Deep Conditioner
    • Style: CRN Curl Maker, KCCC, WetLine Xtreme Gel, Cantu Coconut Curling Cream
  • claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I would say to all to be careful with threading. I had a bad experience and it took about three years to grow back. Better to have too much brow than too little.
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    Maybe once a month, maybe less. That brings you down to $120 a year

Sent from my SPH-L720 using CurlTalk App
    And i do pluck between. I two weeks i pluck and go back at 4

Sent from my SPH-L720 using CurlTalk App
  • JLeighsJLeighs Posts: 904Registered Users Curl Novice
    I go every 2 months or so and pluck in-between if I need to. I do have very light eyebrows, though, so I can get away with longer stretches between appointments.

Claudine- my policy is that I only go to someone who has LOTS of experience, and then I make sure they understand that I like thicker, fuller eyebrows. So far, I've had good luck. I can't get them waxed anymore because my skin is so sensitive that the skin around my eyebrows is red and irritated for a week afterwards. I don't do the Groucho Marx look, so threading it is!
    2C/3A, fine, higher porosity.
    yup. when i sit in the chair, I always say "please keep them as thick as possible"
  • fraufrau Posts: 6,130Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    i just started getting mine done this year.
    i go once a month.
    JLeighs wrote: »
    Claudine- my policy is that I only go to someone who has LOTS of experience, and then I make sure they understand that I like thicker, fuller eyebrows. So far, I've had good luck. I can't get them waxed anymore because my skin is so sensitive that the skin around my eyebrows is red and irritated for a week afterwards. I don't do the Groucho Marx look, so threading it is!

Yep same here, I only go to one person because everyone else has made them too thin and one person, uneven. Even with her, every time i remind her to keep them as thick and long as possible (sometimes they make the sides to short to get them to look perfect which I don't need).

I have risked it and gone to a random person once and she did them pretty well (but that was the only time I went).
    And this is why I think plucking helps. I can say " just clean them up". In other words, DONT RE-SHAPE!!!!!!! The shape is already there for them to follow
  • claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I still regret taking you up on your referral. Getting a tattoo hurt less than being threaded.^
    scrills wrote: »
    And this is why I think plucking helps. I can say " just clean them up". In other words, DONT RE-SHAPE!!!!!!! The shape is already there for them to follow

Yes, I always fill in brows, so even when things get out of hand you can still see the general shape and she can clean it up.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file