Buff, anyone?

sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
No, not IN the buff.. Buff headwear. Does anybody else here use one?

I've recently purchased one since someone in the Wavy Hair Community recommended it, and I love it! Pineappling and satin caps never worked for me, but this does.

Here's a how-to video if you are interested in trying it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr7wr3ntIAs

I was putting my hair in differently and it wasn't coming out great. I tried this woman's method and it worked great! I got 3rd day hair out of it with very minimal styling in the mornings. (For me that's a large feat.)

*Sorry if this has been posted before, but the search isn't working.*
2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
:bunny:
NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
:thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens

Comments

• claudine191claudine191 Registered Users Posts: 8,221 Curl Connoisseur
    I like it!

I don't seem able to sleep without my hair being loose. I would probably give it a try in the dead of winter, though.
  • sixelamysixelamy Registered Users Posts: 4,157 Curl Novice
    The only problem I have with it, is I seem to wake up with it off most nights I wear it. I'm sure I yank it off in my sleep. I still have yet to find a way to keep it on.
  • KaZenner1990KaZenner1990 Registered Users Posts: 859
    I am really thinking ogre getting one as well. I do use satin pillow case but I would love to sleep on other places without worrying about my pillow.

[Properties for mobile users]
    Boticelli 2c/3A,M+C/ii, high porosity, medium elasticity, growing out color and heat damage. APL wet.
    2C/3A Botticelli/Corkicelli.Growing out color/heat damage
    M/C, Low/Medium/High Por, Normal Elast. Medium Density
    LP: INSIGHT DAMAGED HAIR Restructurizing Shampoo
    CO: Generic protein conditioner, Hair Academy Deep Cleansing CO
    DET/RO/LI: GNC Avocado And Shea Butter Conditioner +/mask,
    Styler: Schwarzkopf Taft Fixing GelWellaflex Instant Volume Boost Mousse
    DT: EVOO, C.O
    HG
    Goal: WL when curly
    CG since Feb 2014
    It's not lined, but it doesn't cause an issue, because it's so tight on the head and it doesn't "stick", if that makes sense.
  • jeepcurlygurljeepcurlygurl Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 20,731 Curl Virtuoso
    I wear them when riding motorcycles or when the top is down on the Jeep, but more like a wide headband. They are very comfortable so they would probably be easy to sleep in.
    --I'm located in Western PA.   --I found NC in late 2004, CG since February 2005, joined the forums in May 2005, started going grey in late 2005.   --My hair is 3B with some 3A, currently at mid back length when dry,  texture-medium/fine, porosity-top is low, middle is medium, ends are porous, elasticity-normal.   --My long time favorite products are Suave & VO5 conditioners, LA Looks Sport Gel, coconut oil, honey, vinegar.   
    --My CG and grey hair progress -  
    http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/going-gray/179328-jeepys-grey-hair-progress.html   
    --My article at NaturallyCurly about going grey - 
    https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/color/how-i-went-completely-gray-and-loved-it
  • OnduleeOndulee Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Curl Connoisseur
    would this work for hair that is shoulder length? and how do you know what size to get? I have a small head...

also, has anyone worn it as a ear protector in the winter?
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

I have a little past shoulder length. You'll have to play with the angle you keep your hair in. The one I have only comes in 1 size.
    I am really thinking ogre getting one as well. I do use satin pillow case but I would love to sleep on other places without worrying about my pillow.

Boticelli 2c/3A,M+C/ii, high porosity, medium elasticity, growing out color and heat damage. APL wet.

I think ogre would probably like one too, for those nights spent in caves or under bridges. Fewer baths required.

I think ogre would probably like one too, for those nights spent in caves or under bridges. Fewer baths required.

Lmao you have to love autocorrect!!! But who wouldn't love a buff???!! O:-)

HG
    CG since Feb 2014
  • SpiralliSpiralli Registered Users Posts: 3,684 Curl Connoisseur
    I bought several of these a few years ago when they were the craze of the month on one of the long hair communities. Never wore them. I tried one on and it sort of lifted my hair away from my head at the nape of my neck and it looked really odd. Maybe if my hair was much longer it would work better/differently. So on my dresser shelf they sit. :(
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    Info think they work better with longer hair although I know a gal with a bob that it works spectacularly on.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    I seriously consider getting one from the UK site. I just can't decide color hehe...

HG
    CG since Feb 2014
  • SpiralHamSpiralHam Registered Users Posts: 477
    I wear them mostly outside, I'm a hiker and backpacker. I can't seem to sleep in them either; they always fall off my head when I'm camping (I'm a restless sleeper LOL!).

With bangs, they will definitely smoosh them up. Maybe you can try leaving the bangs part out?

I have two varieties- a full sized buff and a half sized one (you can easily cut the full sized one down as it is a seamless tube of fabric and it won't unravel, just use some nice sharp fabric scissors). For anyone who doesn't like the bunching of the fabric at the nape of the neck, try a smaller size and see if it works out for you. Or try cutting the buff to be a more tapered shape. I wear the half sized one in summer and the full sized one in colder weather.

Actually, my fun favorite way to wear them after a hiking trip is pirate style - arrrgh! :pirate:
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
  • SpiralliSpiralli Registered Users Posts: 3,684 Curl Connoisseur
    SpiralHam wrote: »
    I have two varieties- a full sized buff and a half sized one (you can easily cut the full sized one down as it is a seamless tube of fabric and it won't unravel, just use some nice sharp fabric scissors). For anyone who doesn't like the bunching of the fabric at the nape of the neck, try a smaller size and see if it works out for you. Or try cutting the buff to be a more tapered shape. I wear the half sized one in summer and the full sized one in colder weather.
    Brilliant idea to cut them! They are definitely too wide for my amount of hair! I never thought to do that and I guess I was concerned the cut edges would fray. When I get a few more inches of hair I will try that. Then I will have "a wear and a spare". :thumbup:
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Moderators Posts: 10,840 Curl Virtuoso
    @sixelamy Are you still wearing your Buff? 

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
    I like it!

I don't seem able to sleep without my hair being loose. I would probably give it a try in the dead of winter, though.
    I'm the total opposite; I can't stand my hair being loose when I sleep! 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • SublimeamigaSublimeamiga Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10 Curl Neophyte
    edited June 2018
    I found a free way to put up my hair when laying in my recliner!
    Type: 3B with some 3A
    Density: Low
    Porosity: High
    Thickness: Fine
    Products: Shea Moisture 
    I found a free way to put up my hair when laying in my recliner!
    Love it!  Super cute! 

Gretchen
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file