Ebola

scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
How is it possible that we don't have an Ebola thread yet?

Since the latest "threat" is in my backyard, I thought I would start a thread

What do you think? Much ado about nothing? Not enough being done? It is time to break out the zombie survival kits?

Comments

• claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Oh, I'm so glad you started this thread. Once again, I say specifically to you: can you believe the that goes on in our town?
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Posts: 12,175Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Not scared at all yet, but lots to consider. The US, and probably other nations have level 4 viruses stored for "research" - equally as dangerous as Ebola. People slip up - one of those viruses could get out and cause calamity. As humans destroy rain forests, other viruses are likely to escape their usual habitat and reach heavily populated areas.

I expect other situations like this to occur. We need to find antidotes for the known viruses like Ebola, Marburg. So far, the pharma companies don't consider it profitable to make antidotes.

If you haven't yet seen the movie "Outbreak" - rent it!
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
    Oh, I'm so glad you started this thread. Once again, I say specifically to you: can you believe the that goes on in our town?

Give yourself up C. It's you they want, you evil Ninja. Save the rest of us. :love4:
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    If I were even remotely interesting as a case study of anything, and I could take my dogs along, I would!
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    I was glad one wasn't started, because that's all you hear about anymore. It's like anthrax - it will be dead news in another month.

I just think it was really retarded for that infected woman to get on a damn plane. +1 for stupidity. Not to mention that man who made a joke when he sneezed and they wouldn't let the plane take off until he was tested. +2 for stupidity.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have kept up with the news on Ebola, a bit. I have not been all consumed like some people I know. When I get on FB all I see is EBOLA! EBOLA! EBOLA! EBOLA! Of course the conspiracy theorists started months ago and I am sure they are in a tizzy at this point. I know the news is. Political Parties are already using Ebola as an excuse to sling mud at each other. Democrats caused Ebola! Republicans caused Ebola! The CDC is trying to kill us!!! Makes you wonder what people did during The Black Death/Bubonic Plague.

There is no doubt Ebola is no joke. I do expect more cases. I will not be surprised if it spreads but what do you do? It's not the first time an infectious disease has made rounds. It won't be the last.

ETA: To answer your ?, Scrills... I do think much ado is being made, at this point, but also appreciate the honesty I have seen from some giving conferences/updates. Point blank: Look, you can expect to hear about more confirmed cases. You can and you will. As far as what is being done, it's still early and this is a new one in the US. A few mistakes will be made. That is a given. I do not think the 2nd nurse should have been cleared to fly but do think the risk level was very low at that point. Lesson learned and it should not happen again with someone being monitored. Those not monitored will be a different story. Right now I just hope better protective equipment and policies are put in place at hospitals. They will be the first dealing with bodily fluids. It sounds like they are working on it. I also think its a good idea to take most patients to 1 of 4 hospitals highly trained in infectious diseases, at this point. That will pose some problems though, due to transport, but should be fine right now.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    sixelamy wrote: »
    I just think it was really retarded for that infected woman to get on a damn plane. +1 for stupidity. Not to mention that man who made a joke when he sneezed and they wouldn't let the plane take off until he was tested. +2 for stupidity.

I read about a woman/vender who was asked to leave a craft fair in Dallas after she got the reverse 911 call saying a woman infected lived in her Dallas neighborhood. She did not know her, had never been in contact with her. Apparently they got in a dispute, officers were called and she was forced to leave.

Also agree the second nurse should not have been cleared to travel.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    Places all over Cleveland are shutting down as people who rode on the plane with or after the nurse are popping up. Let's just say that I am in some way effected by these closing. Multiples schools, businesses, all closing. It's been the watercooler talk of the day
    scrills wrote: »
    Places all over Cleveland are shutting down as people who rode on the plane with or after the nurse are popping up. Let's just say that I am in some way effected by these closing. Multiples schools, businesses, all closing. It's been the watercooler talk of the day

Well........(chews a stalk of hay), out here in the sticks, why, we ain't hardly heard nothing about it. Aside from NPR, a'course.
    Just don't make out with strangers or suck their blood. ;)
    Not sure how much more I'm allowed to say, but my company is listed in this article. not my building, but still I am somehow impacted

Akron Public Schools close one building, address Ebola issues | fox8.com
    ^^^ha ha! to Sixe's post
    sixelamy wrote: »
    Just don't make out with strangers or suck their blood. ;)

Well, shucks. That might could be all there is to do out here.
    scrills wrote: »
    Not sure how much more I'm allowed to say, but my company is listed in this article. not my building, but still I am somehow impacted

Akron Public Schools close one building, address Ebola issues | fox8.com

Do you want me to come and make a daring rescue so you can avoid quarantine and still dress up as Jessica Rabbit for Halloween?
    My understanding is there has to be a transmission of bodily fluids into your body in order to catch it. I think people have misconceptions, because it's new and also apparently very contagious, people are freaking out about it. USA is way more developed than other countries as far as our health care system. Also, an individual's immune system plays a huge part. Maybe if someone in my town sneezed on 5 people I'd be worried too. But if it's not someone I'd come in contact with directly, it shouldn't be a huge issue, unless I got their shopping cart at Walmart and rubbed my eyes. That's why I wipe the ebola off the handle every time I shop now. (Not gonna lie, the fiancé and I make ebola jokes at Walmart all the time. At least I'm not flying with 200 people when I do it.)
    Have you seen the pics in our "people of Walmart" thread? You would do well to wipe off the handles of those shopping carts. Not because of Ebola - just plain old filth.

I travel in the NYC subways. The most scrofulous people eat, sleep, throw up (sorry) etc. in these subways. I must have the immune system of a horse - a very healthy strong horse. I never wash my hands after riding in these underground cesspools of viral plague - I should but ...Oh well, only the good die young.:smilebox:
    ^ Yeah, that's why its so important for Health Care Workers to get proper gear. They are going to be hands on during the worst periods vomiting, etc...

I sent this to my bestie awhile ago. Right after it was written. He really gets into conspiracy theories and was freaking out, non stop. It was going to be released in America, intentionally, to kill us all, etc...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/aug/05/ebola-worrying-disease

ETA: When ^ was written I think the death count was around 2000 & something. It's 4000 now but seeing counts in the 30+ thousand for common flu's does add some perspective.

A month later he was all over the theories that Ebola had gone air born and officials knew. Nope! This is a pretty piece from Nat Geo about the virus & West Africa.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2014/10/141015-ebola-virus-outbreak-pandemic-zoonotic-contagion/?utm_source=Facebook&utm_medium=Social&utm_content=link_fb20141016news-ebola&utm_campaign=Content&sf5241631=1

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • OBBOBB Posts: 4,174Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    the Vietnamese community is praying for the two nurses stricken with the virus one of whom is a Vietnamese American. Im also glad they didnt euthanize her dog like the Spanish did with their ebola case. I hope for a speedy and complete recovery.
    OBB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • TRBLTRBL Posts: 5,294Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Anyone read The Hot Zone?
    When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy

"Dispute not with her: she is lunatic." -Richard III
  • eveumeveum Posts: 744Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    ^I remember my physics teacher talking about that book and his fear of Ebola. I wonder how he's feeling 😟

Low Shampoo: Aveda Be Curly Shampoo
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture/ Perfectly Undone
    Treatments: SM Black Castor Oil Masque/ Packet Gelatine
    Leave in: Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
    Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
    Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost

Between Waist and Hip Length (stretched), 2C with 2B roots
    My guess is "bad."^
  • TRBLTRBL Posts: 5,294Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I have not kept up on everything, but I don't understand why ANYONE who had been in contact with a known ebola patient would then turn around and get on a plane 2 days later. :banghead:
    When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy

"Dispute not with her: she is lunatic." -Richard III
    ^^ Agreed

They are saying that she called and asked the CDC and they told her that it was ok. I want to know who that person was. SMH
    Scrills, are we taking bets on how soon certain other local businesses will close? Because I have some ideas.
    Oohh! Who?!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using CurlTalk App
    So there's another "possible case" in Lafayette. Really media? When are they going to stop reporting what is not confirmed and scared the ebola out of everyone.
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,341Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm actually getting just a bit worried now.
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    After going the AIDS scare era, I refuse to let the scaremongers whip me up into hysteria. The best defense against fear is educating yourself about the disease and how it is spread.

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
    juanab wrote: »
    After going the AIDS scare era, I refuse to let the scaremongers whip me up into hysteria. The best defense against fear is educating yourself about the disease and how it is spread.

Exactly! I might have been little but I will never forget that. I swear the news is 10 times worse when it comes to hyped up reporting now.

Hey, OBB!!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file