Bulging/herniated/ruptured disc roll call

spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
Who's currently personally dealing w/ this? I know there have been many here over the years.

One of our boardies just had surgery this week.

And I'm planning on leaving work early and staying home forthe rest of the week.

I always feel guilty tho...bc, you know, you can't see it. And, you know, everyone has a bad back. It's like the second most popular excuse after, "I have a migraine.":?

Comments

• Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Yep, recovering from surgery now.

I was first diagnosed with bulging discs in my neck around 2005 or 2006. I always kind of figured I would need surgery eventually, but always thought it would be my neck. The herniated disc in my low back really blindsided me.

My coworkers could see if I was having a good day or a bad day just based on my face. It was a lot of why I haven't been active lately. Between the pain in my back and the sciatic pain in my leg, I haven't been feeling very social.

Of course I also have a history of migraines, so I'm used to those not so visible ailments. And I think there are some people who will think what they want, but most people have experienced back pain and know how much it sucks, so I've found most people to be pretty understanding.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    How is it going, Corrina?

Mine doesn't bother me too much so I occasionally I forget I have this problem. But when it flares up, OMG!

I had to carry two bottles of juice to work today for a breakfast and that really took me over the edge. Normally, I would be able to ride this out but I think I'm done for...for the rest of the week. :mad:

I need to go to lunch but i'm afraid to try to get up.

• Corrina777Corrina777 Posts: 3,204Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I'm in better shape than I was in last time this soon after surgery- apparently the surgeon really gave me a good shot of novacaine. Unfortunately my mother told me that should be wearing off pretty soon. Feeling sore and very stuff, but on minimal pain meds right now (last time I spent most of my first two and a half days in a Percocet-induced stupor). The pain currently is significantly less than what I was feeling before surgery.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    3a/f/iii
    Modified CG since 11/5/11
    CLEANSE: CJ Daily Fix, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
    RO: SS Caitlin's Conditioner, CJ Beauticurls Strengthening
    LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
    STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier,Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    *raises hand*

Herniated disc is far different from general back pain. I get the "doesn't everyone have a bad back" thing all the time, until I mention specifically what it is and then the tune changes. So annoying.

Take the time that you need.

Mine is under control finally and my last MRI showed it's been resorbed a good 50% and isn't pressing on my nerve anymore. Thank goodness, because that was the worst pain of my life. I just have to deal with nerve damage and swelling in my left leg now.

I was pleasantly surprised that I survived moving from an apartment to a house that has 3 levels without totally killing myself... just killed myself a little bit. Keeping active is key.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • TRBLTRBL Posts: 5,294Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Like Corrina I've had 2 surgeries for herniated discs. They really helped for a few years.. Now I'm having issues again, have good days and bad. Will likely have to have a fusion in the next 5 - 10 years. Want to put that of for as long as possible! Some times I feel like a weakling when I tell people I can't/won't carry or pick up things, but most of my co-workers know why by now.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using CurlTalk App
    When I grow up, I wanna be a Jiujitsu Turtle!

My british name, courtesy of Ninja Dog Shade Haven-Staffordshire: TRBL Hough Jewelstone Turtleneck

Its chaos a few hairs at a time. ~Minxy

"Dispute not with her: she is lunatic." -Richard III
  • juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    4 bulging discs in my neck, three in my back. The pinched nerves are excruciating. I also have occipital neuralgia, RA, Fibro, stage III CKD, and myriad number of other ailments. The neurosurgeon has stated that I am not a good candidate for surgery.

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
  • cailincailin Posts: 928Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I honestly don't know what I have. The slightest pressure on my low back (sacrum area) causes me to practically jump out of my skin. So painful... and just plain odd.

I feel for all of you with disk issues. Back injuries are so common in my line of work, and it takes so long to heal from them. Awful
    juanab wrote: »
    4 bulging discs in my neck, three in my back. The pinched nerves are excruciating. I also have occipital neuralgia, RA, Fibro, stage III CKD, and myriad number of other ailments. The neurosurgeon has stated that I am not a good candidate for surgery.

Are you still able to work? I know your daughter is older now but were you able to keep up when she was younger? Do you have help around the house? I'm thinking of starting up again w/ a house cleaning service bc I feel I'm not as efficient as most ppl...like generally in life, esp bc of the fibro, but esp when this disc flares up.

Hugs and prayers, juana!

cailin wrote: »
    I honestly don't know what I have. The slightest pressure on my low back (sacrum area) causes me to practically jump out of my skin. So painful... and just plain odd.

I feel for all of you with disk issues. Back injuries are so common in my line of work, and it takes so long to heal from them. Awful

How come you don't have a diagnosis? Was bulging/herniated/ruptured disc ruled out?

• juanabjuanab Posts: 4,037Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    No Spiderlashes, I am no longer able to work. Thank you for your prayers. I have been praying for you too. My daughter was a teenager when I was diagnosed, so she took over some duties. Someone comes in to clean our place.

texture - medium/fine, porosity - low/normal, elasticity - normal
    co-wash - NaturelleGrow Coconut Water or Marshmallow Root, Slippery Elm Bark & Blue Malva Cleansing Conditioners
    LI - KCKT mixed w/ SM C & H Curl & Style Milk
    DC - NG Mango & Coconut H2O or Chamomile/Brdck Root
    Gel - SM souffle (winter), KCCC (summer) or CR Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel (year round)
    Sealers - Virgin Coconut Oil, Avocado butter, Aloe butter
    Ayurvedic treatments - Jamila Henna, Sukesh, Aloe Vera Powder, Hibiscus Powder

event.png
  • RebeccaKRebeccaK Posts: 305Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    This started for me when I was very young. Hindsight points to a tumble down a long flight of wooden stairs behind our apartment building when I was four years old, but that's just speculation.

I started having sciatic pain when I was 10, then of course muscle spasms and everything else as you can guess. This was impossible to explain to a parent (stop complaining) or a pediatrician (those are just growing pains). I remember saying "there's a burning line of fire going down my legs... and being told I was "being dramatic".

For the next twenty years, I chased chiropractors and physical therapists, was prescribed a frightening amount of pain killers, muscle relaxers, and steroids. I had X-rays galore. Then more offers for prescriptions and referrals for physical therapy. There were spells when I couldn't lift my arms to wash my hair, when I couldn't look to see if cars were coming when I crossed the street without turning my entire body.

Finally, after years of begging for an MRI, a doctor agreed in 1997. I got a call the very next morning - I needed surgery ASAP.

The surgeon removed three disks from my lower back. No fusing, nothing but removing the disk matter. Which, he later said, had leaked and calcified around the sciatic nerves over the previous 20 years. Honestly, it was gratifying to hear this guy say that in all his years, he'd never seen someone my age with such damage. Someone in their 70's, yes. Not someone who was 30.

My reason for going on about this is to let you know that this surgery was the BEST thing I ever did. I still deal with some pain, probably always will, but it's very manageable. I'm not one to dwell on regrets, but I do wonder what life might have been like if I hadn't been in chronic (and often acute) pain from the age of 10 through age 30.

My other reason is to say: don't give up!! Keep pushing for identifying and fixing the problem, not just the symptoms. It doesn't always mean surgery, but sometimes it does. There is no such thing as pain that is 'just in your head'. All pain is real pain.

My grandmother always used to tell us "Be your own doctor". She'd add: Respect your doctor as being the expert in his/her field, but remember that only YOU are the expert in yourself."

Hang in there, to everyone with back pain. It really is insidious.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file