Do you like playing matchmaker?

spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
Why or why not? Have you ever successfully matched up ppl you know? Has anyone found a match for you?

In some cultures, matchmaking is still a legitimate institution/practice.

Do you think with the divorce rate what it is in the US and so many ppl unhappily single, a resurgence of matchmaking should occur?

Comments

• RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I love the idea of matchmaking and I think I'd be a great one! But I haven't yet had the opportunity to really match anyone up.
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
  • claudine191claudine191 Posts: 8,221Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I tried it once (as matchmaker, not matchmakee) and found it a real nuisance. Never again.

I do not think it should make a resurgence.
  • spiderlashes5000spiderlashes5000 Posts: 17,898Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    A friend of mine who's Indian said in her country matchmaking is a real thing. The matchmaker even decides on the date that the wedding will take place bc the date has spiritual significance. And it seems like even after they move here and would be free to get divorced if they wanted to (divorce is OK there, too), they rarely want to bc they're happy w/ the outcome.

Could it be that others know us and what we need better than we know ourselves?

• SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,684Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    No likey. Tried it once and it was just awkward when it didn't work out.
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
  • JosephineJosephine Posts: 14,408Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    It could work if matchmakers are good. In my parents culture it's common, but the problem is they are blind/unaccepting to what our preferences are. My parents and relatives tried with my sister and cousin but just didn't work because they were only looking for one type and very hard to get a match when you are that limited.

My friend on the other hand who is Indian and more traditional, did have a real matchmaker how you mentioned, where they set the date, check horoscopes and all.
    Spiralli wrote: »
    No likey. Tried it once and it was just awkward when it didn't work out.

LOL but just once, it can be awkward with someone you meet yourself too!

I know what you mean though, its the exact same how I feel about online dating.
  • CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Posts: 590Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I don't think I'd like it. The "opportunity" has never arisen being that all of my friends are either married, engaged or in long term relationships already.
    CG since Dec. 2013  B)
    3b/c ~ fine ~ high porosity ~ low density
    No-Poo: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Shampoo 
    RO: Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner 
    Stylers: Tresemme Flawless Curls Mousse & Extra Hold Hairspray 

• scrillsscrills Posts: 6,700Registered Users
    1) with friends, no. I don't want to be there if it doesn't work. I will however put people in the same room. That happens from there is up to them. That has resulted in 2 marriages and 3 babies (from these marriage)

2) for strangers? Yes. I think I would be good at helping people see what mistakes they are making

3) Matchmaking works in India because people in India have different values and expectations for marriage. Indian matchmaking works because in that culture, they get married for stability and are ok getting to know the person afterwards. If the romance happens, it's a bonus. The marriage is more about supporting each other. Here in America, we have idealized marriage and look for romance first. We also leave marriage when the romance dies. And we are always looking at the other person for what they can do for us. We tend to be more short-sighted and unrealistic
    I like the idea of putting people in the same room (along with others) to see if they connect.
  • Fifi.GFifi.G Posts: 15,490Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Never done it, never wanted to and hate it when people do it for me.
    When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CatitudeBooCatitudeBoo Posts: 590Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Fifi.G wrote: »

Same on the last part in particular. People often think, "oh they're both single so they'd make a good match." That's annoying and just goes to show they know nothing about the actual person or who'd they'd be compatible with.
    CG since Dec. 2013  B)
    3b/c ~ fine ~ high porosity ~ low density
    No-Poo: SheaMoisture Manuka Honey & Mafura Oil Shampoo 
    RO: Tresemme Botanique Nourish & Replenish Conditioner 
    Stylers: Tresemme Flawless Curls Mousse & Extra Hold Hairspray 

Fifi.G wrote: »

Same on the last part in particular. People often think, "oh they're both single so they'd make a good match." That's annoying and just goes to show they know nothing about the actual person or who'd they'd be compatible with.

I don't think it's bad to introduce one another or have people at the same event. I didn't totally encourage it but I was happy for 2 separate friends of mine to meet and see if they would hit it off or not. I thought they might but I didn't say anything to the either of them because then there are expectations and people get all nervous and/or negative.

As for my friends, they got along and talked a lot but my friend said they had very opposing political views lol so I guess a no go and I don't think the other friend found him attractive. It doesn't hurt to see.
    I once dated a guy who told me about having been fixed up with a woman he so strongly disliked that he was actually offended by his friends misjudgment of his tastes.
  • RimiRimi Posts: 2,001Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I once dated a guy who told me about having been fixed up with a woman he so strongly disliked that he was actually offended by his friends misjudgment of his tastes.

Haha, I can understand that
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,904Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I like the idea of putting people in the same room (along with others) to see if they connect.

I think this is the best way to do it. I'm having a Christmas party the end of this month and have two people coming that I think will hit it off well. There will be lots of people there, and it's very casual (not like they are the only two single people at a dinner party) so if anything happens, great, if not, no one should be uncomfortable.

My aunt is always trying to set my brother up and she brings women to the strangest events to meet him. She brought 1 to my Dads birthday party (she was bazaar and my brother was offended lol) and another to a small family Super Bowl party.
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file