Transitioned. Love it. But teased by everyone.

JuDee7JuDee7 Registered Users Posts: 18
I have been a member of this community since 2011 and tried to transition but was so scared. Three years after my membership, I finally had the BC 4 days ago! Had the guts because of a role, my promise to my grandma and being so tired of damaged straight hair.

I LOVE MY SHORT CURLY DO. I'm really loving it, but I am surrounded with people who unconsciously try to rain on my parade. You see, I live in a country where natural curls are not really embraced. It's seldom to see 3C's walking around.And if they do, ignorant eyes and mouths start to wag.

Since my cut, I've got praises and a fair share of teases too. They unconsciously tease me as to how I look because I look like a boy or a lesbian (the role I portrayed). I don't want all the teasing to get into my esteem because the teasing was what got me to straighten my hair in my teenage years as I was ashamed of it. I really love how I look now, edgy and confident. But sometimes, I can't help but be hurt by the teases, I know my friends have no intention of hurting me but i just cant help myself.

Do you have the same experience as I do when you started the BC? How did you go through it?

Comments

• adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    Is the teasing mean or playful? I ask because in my family we ALL tease eachother about a lot of stuff. We think it's funny and we laugh. No one minds.

However, I did get some snide comments from a few people about when I bc'ed saying it was nappy and later as it grew that I have too much hair and should cut it. It irritated me a little I guess but reallly I don't give a care what people think about me going natural. nothing they said would make me go back to relaxing. If people are saying these things to get to you then if you make it really obvious in your reactions you don't give a f what they think they'll stop because they see it's pointless. Not saying you curse them out but there are ways to make the point this is your life and they don't get a vote. Not sure what country you are in but I live in the US and believe me there are those of us here who go through the same things. A guy I know called a girl who bc'ed a mushroom head on FB. there are also those youook like a slave remarks. If you love it screw the haters. haters are always gonna hate.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • claudine191claudine191 Registered Users Posts: 8,221 Curl Connoisseur
    The heck with them. This is your decision to make. Proceed with confidence, and some of those very same "teasers" may wind up following your example.
  • curlypearlcurlypearl Registered Users Posts: 12,231 Curl Connoisseur
    My experience is similar to Adthomas. My brother and I tease each other mercilessly and it's a way we show affection. The subtext is that we are so comfortable with each other we can tease and know it's all in fun and love. Maybe it's like dogs playing and nipping each other.

I have to be careful with other people though because I don't want to hurt anyone who isn't accustomed to that kind of banter. So I have the same question as Adthomas - is the teasing playful or mean?

Anyway, if that's you in the avatar, you look adorable. :hello2:
    2/c Coarse hair med. density.
    Highly porous. Color over grey.
    I love all the Curl Junkie products. Still experimenting with gels and curl creams. Still hoping for 2nd day hair....
    Every day is a gift :flower:
  • adthomasadthomas Registered Users Posts: 5,525 Curl Neophyte
    curlypearl wrote: »
    My experience is similar to Adthomas. My brother and I tease each other mercilessly and it's a way we show affection. The subtext is that we are so comfortable with each other we can tease and know it's all in fun and love. Maybe it's like dogs playing and nipping each other.

I have to be careful with other people though because I don't want to hurt anyone who isn't accustomed to that kind of banter. So I have the same question as Adthomas - is the teasing playful or mean?

Anyway, if that's you in the avatar, you look adorable. :hello2:

OMG I am the same way. I have to remind myself not everyone can handle teasing even when it's playful. I don't mean anything mean by it but some people are very sensitive. My friends do it to me also in jest. We think it's hilarious. If we don't ever pick on someone we probably don't like them.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file