2a/2b hair advice??

zwavyzwavy Posts: 30Registered Users
Hi! I just recently started wearing my hair without using heat styling about 3 months ago and needed help with products and styling. I have thin 2a/2b hair with layers that start right below my ear. I have the same routine almost every day of getting my hair wet in the sink and scrunching with a tshirt every morning, and washing and conditioning every other day. Usually I use SheaMoisture Hydrating Replenish Shampoo with Shea Butter (or something like that) and Suave Naturals Coconut Conditioner, but the shampoo has not been very nice to my scalp, as my hair does not feel clean and it has made it very itchy after use.
I noticed that when I first started this routine I had much more definition and wave than I do now. Especially today, after I washed my hair, I had almost no definition when it was drying and now it is a big ball of wavyish hair (attachment included). I would like to keep using sulfate free products, as my hair has absolutely no definition AT ALL with sulfates. Can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong?? If there are better products I could be using, please tell me!!
2a/2b fine(ish) waves with low porosity and medium thickness.
Current shampoo (I switch it up a lot): Attitude Volume and Shine
Current conditioner (also switch up a lot): Attitude Volume and Shine (about to change to Giovanni for more moisture)
Gel: LA Looks Sport Gel
Cream: OGX Moroccan Curling Perfection
Leave-in: Nexxus Hydra-Light Weightless Moisture
I usually mix the cream/leave-in and the gel so that I have not as strong of a hold.

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Personally, with my thin type 2 hair, I can't use shea butter (or just a drop of it every now and again). It will build up on my hair and maybe that is an issue for you as well. Many people use the suave as a CO wash but fine wavies often have trouble just with CO washing. I personally have been using 2 TBSP AVG (edible kind) and 1 tsp glycerin to wash my hair. I plan to clarify occasionally, but I find this combo is soothing to my scalp, and moisturizing. Do you use styling products after washing? If I don't I know I would not have good definition and frizz. In the past some of the products I used to style were FSG and okra gel. Currently I am using SS CEJ which my hair loves. On top of that I am using my homemade gelatin hair gel, and I am also trying out max green alchemy sculpting gel. Fine wavies often need lots of hold, and around here some of the popular brands include volumax mega and BRHG. Underneath that they use LI and stylers. I find that LI weighs my hair down, but they help reduce frizz (just make sure they are cone free). Lots of people seem to like KCKT as a leave in.

Anyway that's a lot of info but I'd recommend clarifying your hair to get rid of any build up to start with. You don't need to use sulfates to clarify. Coco betaine also clarifies (though I find it harsh), as would other gentler surfactants. Shampoo bars also clarify, as does baking soda and borax (I had the best luck with borax of those options). After that consider switching how you wash you hair, or using the SM just occasionally. I can recommend more products but gotta run for now. HTH!

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • zwavyzwavy Posts: 30Registered Users
    Thank you!! I did clarify today, so that might be why I did not have as much definition as I would have liked. Do you have any suggestions for non homemade hair products? I don't really have time to transition to no poo right now, but I'd love to try it someday!
    2a/2b fine(ish) waves with low porosity and medium thickness.
    Current shampoo (I switch it up a lot): Attitude Volume and Shine
    Current conditioner (also switch up a lot): Attitude Volume and Shine (about to change to Giovanni for more moisture)
    Gel: LA Looks Sport Gel
    Cream: OGX Moroccan Curling Perfection
    Leave-in: Nexxus Hydra-Light Weightless Moisture
    I usually mix the cream/leave-in and the gel so that I have not as strong of a hold.
  • naturecatnaturecat Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Edit: Ah, that pic was taken after clarifying. That might explain it; your hair got dried out from clarifying. What did you use to clarify? It may have been too harsh, and you may want to do a deep treatment to put moisture back into your hair.
    For non homemade I love the SS CEJ. Fine haired wavies tend to love spiral solutions. I also hear good things about sweet curls (they have FSG and okra gel but preserved). I ordered some products and they should be arriving soon. :) Some people like KCCC. Never tried it myself. There's also Jessicurl and Deva lines. Though some people find them drying over time (from the salts most likely). For gels, there's the two I mentioned above, eco styler gel, and lots on here also like the LA looks wet look gel. And there are a whole bunch of curl junkie products that many on here really seem to like. These suggestions are along the lines of if you want clumping, hold, and curl enhancement.
    Oh, also…. you may want to try a protein treatment. They help boost curl and make the pattern more consistent and make the hair stronger. Fine hair tends to love protein. There's IA girl's protein treatment (gelatin and water basically), sally's color neutral protein filler (that you can add to something), curl junkie repair me (not strictly protein but has protein in it), and I personally am now using Spiral Solutions protein treatment. Also, edit: if your hair lacks moisture at the moment, then you may want to hold on a protein treatment and do a deep treatment instead. Then when your hair has enough moisture you can try protein.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file