Styling Products??

jsherm10jsherm10 Posts: 3Registered Users
Hi everyone,

I'm new to this whole CG thing and I'm just overwhelmed by everything. The products I'm using just don't seem to work well. My hair is 2b/2c with low porosity and pretty thick. I've been cowashing with VO5 Moisture Milks Strawberries and Cream Conditioner and shampooing once a month with Renpure Organics Argan Oil.

As far as styling products, I use Design Essential Leave-in Conditioner and Herbal Essences Totally Twisted Curl Boosting Mousse and scrunch it. I usually let it air dry. Diffusing tends to make my hair frizzy. It's just flat and undefined though. I just got it cut and my hair stylist said to use a cream instead of mousse. I tried Sheamoisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl Enhancing Smoothie and it was a disaster. It was HUGE and frizzy and even less defined.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I don't know much about the products you're using, but I just looked up the leave-in (assuming it is this one: Design Essentials HCO Leave In Conditioner - NaturallyCurly) and has silicones as one of the very first ingredients.

A key step to being CG, particularly when co-washing, is avoiding non-water soluable silicones as without sulfates (or coco betaine, found in most gentle low-poos), these will build up on your hair quite dramatically. So that could definitely be contributing to your troubles.

Also, I know some people like mousse, but personally I don't get along well with it. Gel seems to be more common around here (and it is my styler of choice). I find it clumps the curls better.
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • Annie1980Annie1980 Posts: 77Registered Users
    I second what was said above. So, you should do a clarifying wash, and start all over again, being really careful to avoid silicones. Just cowashing won't remove them, so your hair will definitely thank you once you clarify. Good luck. Also, using a leave- in and gel works really well for me, too. I use Suave naturals as a leave in, then LA Looks Sport gel. I love it, it's Been my go-to combo for over a year. I cowashing with VO5, or Suave Naturals.
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    You may want to try AG Re:Coil cream. The Shea Moisture products are a no go, especially for low porosity folks. The products build up, especially the smoothie - it gave me a disaster on my head as well.

You need to switch up your products if you're cowashing all but once a month. You can probably get by with cowashing a couple times in a row, but you need to low poo (with cocamidopropyl betaine) those silicones out much more often than you're doing. You don't have to completely avoid them, unless you want to go full out Curly Girl Method.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights