Advice on my hair routine(pics)

RachpreachRachpreach Posts: 40Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I have started washing my hair with conditioner for the past couple of months. I guess this is called co-washing. I just wanted to share my routine and get some advice on how to tweak it and what products you guys think I should try.

So I cowash my hair about every two days with sauve naturals.
As a rinse out conditioner I use patene pro-v... YES I KNOW.. this has silicones in it. I am going to switch to GVP conditioning cream(I can't remember the name, but you guys know the name)

So once I rinse that out I add the suave naturals back into my hair just to the ends as a leave in and then I get out of the shower.

For adding my products I flip my head over and run my fingers through my hair and add LA looks gel, scrunch with a t-shirt and then I add TIGI curls rock serum. I then scrunch with a t-shirt until most of the moisture is gone and then I let air dry.

So let me know if there's something else I can do differently. Please! I tried to upload pictures but it won't let me.

Sent from my LG-D800 using CurlTalk App

Comments

• naturecatnaturecat Posts: 1,986Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Your routine sounds solid to me. I really like your hair! You have a strong pattern with the elusive root curl. When you ditch cones it could be even curlier. :) If I ran my fingers through my hair it would break up clumps, but everyone is different.

3A/f/i
    Super baby fine hair, low porosity
    Shampoos: SM Fruit Fusion (mostly), Avalon lemon (to clarify). Occasional aloe vera and glycerin to wash.
    Stylers: Intelligent Nutrients Perfect Hold Hairspray
    Treatments: Catnip tea, IA girl's PT, Fermented Rice Water, Catnip Tea, Amla tea, Irish Moss, SS PT
  • RachpreachRachpreach Posts: 40Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    So I went yesterday and bought the GVP conditioning cream and shea moisture styling souffle. I love that stuff! It smells so good! It really defined my hair nicely too.

• WaveExplosionWaveExplosion Posts: 20Registered Users
    I have 2c/3a hair & have found that I cannot comb my hair - even wet or with my fingers - or it breaks up the curl pattern & makes it more wavy than curly, & frizzy. My routine is to hang my head down & scrunch in all my products. I've really noticed the difference with my curls being more defined. My hair never feels tangly in the shower either.
    2c/3a med. density, coarse, low porosity, color treated
    Nizoral AD Shampoo (scalp condition); DevaCare One Condition
    Redken Curvaceous Ringlet, Tigi Catwalk Curls Rock, or DevaCurl B'Leave-in curl definers
    DevaCurl Heaven in Hair DT
    DevaCurl Frizz-Free Volumizing Foam (crown)
    DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
  • KaZenner1990KaZenner1990 Posts: 859Registered Users
    I myself looove shea moisture shouffle. This thing gives my shiny definition. I can't either brush or comb dry, even finger detangle as my hair expands three times its original size lol.
    As months went on my hair was less tangly. I would not actually describe it as tangly but as each strand glued with each other. I always do anything upside down.
    I can't rake in products....A huge no... I rather smooth and scrunch and even twirl some pieces but lately my curls spring themselves without much coaxing.

[Properties for mobile users]
    Boticelli 2c/3A,M+C/ii, high porosity, medium elasticity, growing out color and heat damage. APL wet.
    2C/3A Botticelli/Corkicelli.Growing out color/heat damage
    M/C, Low/Medium/High Por, Normal Elast. Medium Density
    LP: INSIGHT DAMAGED HAIR Restructurizing Shampoo
    CO: Generic protein conditioner, Hair Academy Deep Cleansing CO
    DET/RO/LI: GNC Avocado And Shea Butter Conditioner +/mask,
    Styler: Schwarzkopf Taft Fixing GelWellaflex Instant Volume Boost Mousse
    DT: EVOO, C.O
    HG
    Goal: WL when curly
    CG since Feb 2014
    I've been using the shea souffle and I'm not sure if I like it. It doesn't feel like it holds my hair together. I can't handle my hair too soft though. Should I use it with any other products? Right now I just use it by itself.

• MeiMei Posts: 259Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'd say drop the silicone and find a silicone-free replacement and your routine would be pretty solid. You don't want anything that will weigh down your hair, because you have epic root curls which us wavies strive to get (me especially). Souffles are pretty heavy imo but you'll have to play around with it.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
  • KaZenner1990KaZenner1990 Posts: 859Registered Users
    Rachpreach wrote: »
    I've been using the shea souffle and I'm not sure if I like it. It doesn't feel like it holds my hair together. I can't handle my hair too soft though. Should I use it with any other products? Right now I just use it by itself.

My hair doesn't get weighted down anymore but I use protein almost on every wash.

I do pair it with other gels but not because my curls drop but rather they expand 2 times their size.

[Properties for mobile users]
    Boticelli 2c/3A,M+C/ii, high porosity, medium elasticity, growing out color and heat damage. APL wet.
    2C/3A Botticelli/Corkicelli.Growing out color/heat damage
    M/C, Low/Medium/High Por, Normal Elast. Medium Density
    LP: INSIGHT DAMAGED HAIR Restructurizing Shampoo
    CO: Generic protein conditioner, Hair Academy Deep Cleansing CO
    DET/RO/LI: GNC Avocado And Shea Butter Conditioner +/mask,
    Styler: Schwarzkopf Taft Fixing GelWellaflex Instant Volume Boost Mousse
    DT: EVOO, C.O
    HG
    Goal: WL when curly
    CG since Feb 2014
    Mei wrote: »
    I'd say drop the silicone and find a silicone-free replacement and your routine would be pretty solid. You don't want anything that will weigh down your hair, because you have epic root curls which us wavies strive to get (me especially). Souffles are pretty heavy imo but you'll have to play around with it.

So when you say get rid of silicones, which product are you referring to? I'm now using GVP conditioning balm as my conditioner/leave in and I love it. I didn't rinse any of it out last night and it made all the difference.
    I added the LA looks gel and then the shea moisture smoothie and I let air dry and then I diffused on low for a few minutes. I'm really loving it today. I just don't know how much I like the SM smoothie. Any other suggestions for a curl enhancer or definer?

• So_JaneSo_Jane Posts: 155Registered Users
    I have started washing my hair with conditioner for the past couple of months. I guess this is called co-washing. I just wanted to share my routine and get some advice on how to tweak it and what products you guys think I should try.

As a rinse out conditioner I use patene pro-v... YES I KNOW.. this has silicones in it. I am going to switch to GVP conditioning cream(I can't remember the name, but you guys know the name)

So once I rinse that out I add the suave naturals back into my hair just to the ends as a leave in and then I get out of the shower.

For adding my products I flip my head over and run my fingers through my hair and add LA looks gel, scrunch with a t-shirt and then I add TIGI curls rock serum. I then scrunch with a t-shirt until most of the moisture is gone and then I let air dry.

So let me know if there's something else I can do differently. Please! I tried to upload pictures but it won't let me.

pretty hair! it seems like you have found a regimen that works, so I say, stick to it! unless of course you just want to try some fun new stuff...

styler wise maybe BRHG or Pattern Pusha...

other conditioners people seem to like are suave naturals or vo5.

HTH! :P
    'Poo: Aubrey Organics or Suave Clarifying
    or Liquid African Black Soap (only 4-ingredients ; awesome!)
    Co-Wash: Aubrey Organics or Suave Condish
    Condish: Aubrey Organics or Onion Mask or Yogurt
    DT: Honey + Olive Oil + AO Condish or Yogurt mix
    ---
    Best Gel Combo, Ever!: Elasta Qp Feels Like Silk Liquid Gel +/under Eco Styler [Krystal, Brown] Gel (or under Wetline Extreme Styling Gel)- awesome!!
    So_Jane wrote: »

pretty hair! it seems like you have found a regimen that works, so I say, stick to it! unless of course you just want to try some fun new stuff...

styler wise maybe BRHG or Pattern Pusha...

other conditioners people seem to like are suave naturals or vo5.

HTH! :P

I don't know what "BRHG or pattern pusha are. Are these brands of products?

• frcklsfrckls Posts: 528Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    BRHG is BioSilk Rock Hard Gelee
    Pattern Pusha is a gel by Curl Junkie

But I completely agree that you've got gorgeous hair and seems like you've got a nice routine down pat. If you really want to go -cone, et. al. free, don't forget to change one product at a time, so you'd know whether that particular product works for you or not.

Then again, cetrimonium chloride (which is one of the ingredient in Suave Naturals conditioners that are distributed in the US; we EU and Asian curlies aren't so lucky) can remove -cones from hair. So your hair may still benefit from adequate cleansing using it.

Polyquats, like one present in your TIGI serum, may build up overtime and can only be removed by real shampoos. Sulfates work alright, but sodium C14-16 olefin sulfonate works best to remove polyquats buildup. It differs from one head to the other, though, so you're the best judge for your own hair on that.

If I were you, with such gorgeous curls, I'd think I have the perfect regimen. I'll just add a poo to clarify once in a while.
    2B/C canopy & 2A/B underlayer
    coarse | low-normal porosity | normal elasticity | low-med density
    (by GoosefootPrints)

Clarify: Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, Citric acid rinse
    RO/LI: Jason Moisturizing 84% Aloe Vera / Paul Mitchell The Conditioner
    Styler: DIY Okra Jelly / Paul Mitchell Thicken Up / Shu Uemura Cotton Uzu Flexible Defining Cream
    Treatment: H&B Wonder Oil + VCO, Honey-Cardamom-EVOO-Chamomile
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I like the Shea Moisture curl and style milk. It's also glycerin free. Maybe you should try making fsg. And can I ask about your hair cut?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    Be careful of the Tigi product, it also contains silicone. Have you clarified your hair since stopping silicones? That's the only step I haven't seen that I would suggest. I also would throw in a low poo if ever your hair starts to feel heavy or gets frizzy and you can't figure out why.

I didn't like the SM soufflé either. I suggest KCCC :)
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
    sixelamy wrote: »
    Be careful of the Tigi product, it also contains silicone. Have you clarified your hair since stopping silicones? That's the only step I haven't seen that I would suggest. I also would throw in a low poo if ever your hair starts to feel heavy or gets frizzy and you can't figure out why.

I didn't like the SM soufflé either. I suggest KCCC :)

No I haven't clarified since using the TIGI. I'm not using that anymore but I REALLY LOVE IT. Is there anything else that works as well as it does?
    Also I will clarify.

Also, I've been seeing the product KCCC but what does it mean for crying out loud!? Lol

• bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    It stands for kinky curly curling custard

*Current Routine*

• WavycatWavycat Posts: 325Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Your hair is to die for..serious hair envy!
    The abbreviations and acronyms can be confusing but if you head over to GENERAL DISCUSSIONS ABOUT CURLY HAIR there is a sticky with abbreviations meanings. I kept it in an open window for forever.
    SE PA
    2C/3A med, med density,med elasticity, high porosity color-treated
    No Poo: various VO5s testing Gliss Volumizing (keratin) for summer
    Citric acid rinse or vinegar
    RO: SM Honey Mask with agave
    Conditioner only styling with water, water and more water, or jojoba + SM Superfruit
    Styler: KCCC or Ecostyler Olive Oil occasionally
    Love most oils but can't use CO in winter
    Well thank you for the compliment!
    So where can I get the KCCC? Is that a good product to use?

Kccc is great because it's a really moisturizing gel but I will warn you it really takes time dry though. It's one of the healthiest gels (ingredients wise) besides straight up aloe. Have you tried Curl Junkie products?

I love your hair too by the way :)

*Current Routine*

I decided to order AG products consisting of their leave in conditioner called fast food and their curling cream called recoil. My hairdresser used them on me and I loved them. Does anyone have any experience with these?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file