New Curl Junkie Pattern Pusha

rbbrbb Posts: 4,322Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
marsha has reformulated the pattern pusha -- i believe it will provide more hold and will not flake. i never had an issue with it flaking, but some curlies did.
both the new reformulated pp and the original are available on the curl junkie website. the original is being discontinued, so i guess it's there til it's out of stock.
i ordered it and will report back on it when it arrives here and i've had a chance to try it.
anyone tried it yet?

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
styling: curl junkie 
sealants - jane carter nourish & shine

Comments

• CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,079Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    I would love to try the new formula! I still have a lot of the original though.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using CurlTalk App
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have the original and just started reusing it. I like it. Could you post the ingredients?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
  • SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    I've been playing with the original. I LOVE they way it feels in my hair, but it doesn't give me any hold (and I found out this summer how much I need a strong hold!). And it doesn't break me out that I can tell.

Keep us posted on the hold, and how it does in low dews with the sorbitol added. I really want this to work for me in the insanely low dews we get here in winter.
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
  • kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Actually, it was reformulated once when it first came out. The "original" PP came in a jar. Second addition came in a pump bottle.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rbbrbb Posts: 4,322Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    curlyhairfarmer -- nice to see you!! i was lucky that i have less than 1/2 bottle left and aveyou was out of stock, so i checked cj site.....

bringingcurliesback -- the ingredients are on the cj website. and the original is still there, so you can compare them.

sprialham -- this new formula is supposed to be a stronger hold, and with new ingredients supposed to be better in high and low dew points.

kathy -- you are correct -- actually, the very first version that i tested back in 2010 was a liquid, but marsha changed that to the jar version before it was manufactured. then she tweaked it a bit and put it in pump bottle.
    this version seems to be more of a reformulation than the first one.

i have not yet received the new pp, it is in transit. however, i looked back at what marsha told me about it -- she said it has a slightly stronger hold, easier to apply, and no flaking. (i never had flaking but i know some curlies did).

• SpiralHamSpiralHam Posts: 477Registered Users
    Thanks, rbb!

I am looking forward to your thoughts on the new CJPP. :toothy10:
    Smorgasbord of finer, porous 2a-3a; straight underlayer

:thumbleft: collagen
    :thumbdown: humectants outside of optimal dews, PVP, oils/butters, anything remotely comedogenic

poos: Giovanni TTT, WF365FF, Suave Clarifying
    condishes: VO5 VMT, KLS; IonEC
    stylers: FSG, 4NSBCC, VolumaxMega, AIF, GFPC

Mod CG since 11/2012. My waves occasionally look best when combed out, so you can pry my combs from my cold, dead hands :laughing6:
    i just got a sample of the new pp in the mail, full bottle in transit.

so, my hair is dry and that is my preferred way to apply gel. i waited hoping the sample marsha sent would be in today's mail, and it was!!

so, while the texture is basically the same, there is a creaminess to it, kind of like a gel that is creamy? so far it has given my hair more volume and tighter curls. tonight i will be out in a dry bldg so we'll see how it does. on the website marsha says the new ingredients are better for the high and low dews, so...... i will report back tomorrow.

• bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Posts: 1,308Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'd like to know how it goes, please do report back!

*Current Routine*

i got my bottle of the new pp in mail today, so that is what i used. did my regular leave in, did not seal today altho for the past 2 yrs i've been sealing almost daily, and used the new pp on wet hair. only had little bit left from the sample, then when mail came a few hours ago i added more of the new pp to my dry hair.
    i was going to wait a few days to report back, but already i can see a huge difference -- this definitely has more hold, my hair is curlier and has more volume.
    this may be my low/high dew HG!

• CurlyHairedFarmerCurlyHairedFarmer Posts: 3,079Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Ooohh rbb you are SO tempting me right now...maybe it will sell out before I can get to it and my wallet will thank me.
    Currently Loving:
    Shampoo: Giovanni 50:50

Conditioners - CJ Strengthening, CJ Beauticurls Argan and Olive Oil, CJ Rehab, CJ Curl Fix

Leave-in: CJ Smoothing

Deep Conditioner: CJ Hibiscus and Banana Deep Fix

Stylers - Tigi Curls Rock Amplifier, AG:Recoil, KCCC, Mop-C Curling Cream, Paul Mitchell Sculpting foam
  • KaZenner1990KaZenner1990 Posts: 859Registered Users
    I was wondering... I am planning on getting some new products... For those that had tried pattern pusha do you find it working good on low dews or even optimal dews?? Does it weight down hair easy?? I have nowhere near fine hair and I had used normal amounts of SM shouffle and smoothie without weight down.

[Properties for mobile users]
    Boticelli 2c/3A,M+C/ii, high porosity, medium elasticity, growing out color and heat damage. APL wet.
    2C/3A Botticelli/Corkicelli.Growing out color/heat damage
    M/C, Low/Medium/High Por, Normal Elast. Medium Density
    LP: INSIGHT DAMAGED HAIR Restructurizing Shampoo
    CO: Generic protein conditioner, Hair Academy Deep Cleansing CO
    DET/RO/LI: GNC Avocado And Shea Butter Conditioner +/mask,
    Styler: Schwarzkopf Taft Fixing GelWellaflex Instant Volume Boost Mousse
    DT: EVOO, C.O
    HG
    Goal: WL when curly
    CG since Feb 2014
    i used cj pp all last winter, and pretty much year round. it doe not have humectants, so is great for all dew points. the new formula has a slightly stronger hold and i get more curl with it, i am really loving the new formula. both are available on the curl junkie website.

I need to get this stuff asap! It will probably be great once I get my haircut too! Do you not seal at all anymore?

*Current Routine*

yes, i do still seal, just not every day when the dew points are in the mid range. and, in the fall i use either cccc or honey butta every day so that also acts as enough of a sealant with mid dews. and then i also have been using pp daily, so that helps to lock in moisture. i seem to seal about twice a week in the fall when i am cccc or honey butta, but i know i will definitely seal daily when we have low dews. i also am using only ss emollience as a sealant, not the jane carter n&s, these past few weeks, so maybe that is contributing to it.
    it's not a hard and fast rule for me, it's what i am guessing my hair wants that day, LOL! which as all curlies know, our hair likes to keep us guessing! :confused:

• asianrunnerasianrunner Posts: 2,251Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I agree, it's a nice year round product! I only have the old formula but never got weighed down unless I totally overdid it on the amount.
    Coarse texture, normal-high porosity, normal elasticity (Komaza Care), very weak waves
    cleanser: Redken Fresh Curls Shampoo, CJ Daily Fix

rinse out: GVP Conditioning Balm, CJ Beauticurls, CJ Smoothing

jellies/creams: CR Curl Maker, KCCC
    gels: CJ CQ, CJ Pattern Pusha, BRHG

• SpiralliSpiralli Posts: 3,682Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Cool. Now I have 3 items to order when CJ has their Black Friday sale. I hope she stocks up! :)
    Type: 3b/3c (i), below shoulder length.
    CO wash: A-O GPB LYY, Desert Essence Coconut, Oribe Silverati
    Leave-ins: Curl Junkie Beauti-Curls, KCKT, cno overnight
    Styling: BRHG, MGA Sculpting Gel, A-O Mandarin Magic Gel, LOTD AVG, LALSG, CJ Pattern Pusha
    DT: Curl Junkie Deep Fix, Briogeo Don't Despair Repair!
    ah, she also updated the formula on the gentle assurance shampoo. that just came in. i have not tried it yet, since i am almost out of it, it will be on my next order.
    it is supposed to be more moisturizing. you can read about it on her website.

• twirlygrannytwirlygranny Posts: 1,114Banned Users Curl Neophyte
    I love the shampoo already...can't wait to try the new one...looks like they removed an ingredient. Are they reformulated Daily Fix too...it's out of stock?
    i don't think the daily fix is being reformulated. marsha said that the manufacturer is going thru 'growing pains,' so that is why some things were out of stock.
    she ALWAYS posts it on her website if she has reformulated a product, so you will always know. i doubt very much that she is changing the daily fix.

• CurlsnswirlsCurlsnswirls Posts: 865Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'd love to try out the new formula. I'm debating whether I should buy this or the curl queen gel. I vaguely remember trying them both out years ago. I'm in need of a new gel. Can anyone compare to curl queen? I cannot seem to find a thread about it. There have been so many changes to this site and I haven't been on here in probably a year or so and I'm having trouble getting around.
    i would suggest that you go to the curl junkie website, read the info on both, then go to the selection part of the cj website for more hints on what your hair might like.
    as to "getting around the nc site..." it has become problematic. i know there are threads, articles on things, but oftentimes i cannot find them, no search brings them up. seems they made it worse with the new changes.
    if you are in curl talk and put in a search, it will only bring up threads. if you are on the articles page and put in a search, it will only bring up articles. your best bet is to go to the homepage and put in a search. not guaranteeing the info will come up, but....... and the info that does come up still comes up in a very random order, never newest first, it's all jumbled up.

Thank you. I went ahead and ordered the pattern Pusha. If I remember correctly this one was the one I prefered. The only thing back then was that I needed more hold. I'm hoping the new formula will work out. I have checked out the curl junkie site recommenations but I seem to fall between to categories :disgust:. Anyway, I'm excited to try this new formula. Thanks for sharing your experiences. :)
    i don't normally try for 2nd day hair, my hair is low elasticity, so it is not easy to get 2nd day hair. however, i have been able to get decent 2nd day hair when i try once or twice a week, generally if i use cccc on day 1.
    i did not use cccc yesterday, just some deep fix as my leave in and some ss emollience to seal it.
    today i scrunched a little pp in my dry hair and have had a FANTASTIC hair day! and it's 2nd day hair! i will definitely try this again.

• SereneCurlsSereneCurls Posts: 1,145Registered Users
    Darn, I bought this back in the summer so I have tons of the "old version. I really like it and it doesn't flake for me, but I have to layer a stronger gel over it, so I'd love a stronger hold Pattern Pusha.
    3a, dense, fairly coarse, normal porosity and elasticity, just below shoulder
    Low poo: Giovanni 50 50
    Co-wash: aia, suave coconut, salon care
    R O: Tresume Naturals, gvpcb
    L I: KCKT, gvpcb
    Stylers: cjpp, re : coil, kccc, brhg
    Oils: coconut, argan
    Experimenting with: curls rock amplifier, pantene mousse
    for once i was on my last bottle of something which is how i noticed a new one was out.
    i still have some left in the older bottle, i still like it and sometimes use it here and there. i do love the new version.

• mustangbunnymustangbunny Posts: 1,033Registered Users
    Oh I really want to try this new PP formula!!! It's got none of the things my hair hates in it....must...resist...product.....junkie.....I can't! I am going to buy it.

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
    Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
    Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
    :hockey:

• curlyQcutie22curlyQcutie22 Posts: 151Registered Users
    I ordered the sample set and just got it in! But how do I know if its the new PP or the old version? I don't want to use one version and like it and not be able to get it the same, or use it and hate it and find out its the old one! Haha! Help?
    Just received my bottle. I'm going to try it out tomorrow. I ordered from aveyou and the ingredients list is the new one on their site. I'm going to double check my bottle to make sure it is the new formula...I really hope it is.
    My bottle is the old formula :(. I've contacted aveyou because their site lists the new formula but that's not what I received. We will see what they say. Ugh I ordered because I wanted to try the new formula :angry3:. I will still use this but add some BRHG if I end up keeping it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file