2c hair- Help me get started!

AutumnHuesAutumnHues Posts: 3Registered Users
I read the older cg book back in 09 or somewhere around there. I haven't looked it up in a long time because I'd cut my hair off into a pixie cut.

anyway- starting up again and just need a list of basic things to start with.

my hair is fine and I'm not certain about porosity. natural color.

Want to help me get started? I've looked through curlmart but it's kindof overwhelming. I'm low maintenance, but I do like good quality ingredients.

Comments

• russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hi and welcome to the family on here!

I'm a 2C as well and I'd have to say a good co-wash is crucial. The Curly Girl book is a big into the no-poo movement. Right now, I'm really liking the Jane Carter Solution co-wash that you can find on a lot of natural food stores.

After I'm done Co-Washing, I condition with an Aubrey Organics Conditioner made for dry hair. When out of the shower, I apply a leave-in or moisturizer (right now it's Alaffia's hair lotion) and then scrunch my hair dry with a tee shirt (Curly Girl is also all about leaving terry cloth towels behind).

Then, to style, I normally do Kinky Curly Curling Custard (a light to medium gel) when my hair is damp. Then I make sure not to touch my hair when it's drying to decrease frizz.

Once a week, I deep condition with one of the Shea Moisture masques and if I do an occasional shampoo, I make sure to pre-poo my hair with coconut oil under a shower cap for at least 45 minutes to make sure the shampoo doesn't dry my hair too much. Of course, products and techniques must change by season (if you live somewhere where you get multiple seasons), but that's a good basic idea.

I've learned a lot on this site, so I'm sure you'll find what you're looking for. Hope that helped!
    2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
    Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
    Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
    Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
  • AutumnHuesAutumnHues Posts: 3Registered Users
    thank you so much russianprncss! Someone answered! I remember these boards being much faster! Maybe I was just cooler then, lol. :toothy10:

That is a lot to remember! I'll have to look all that stuff up..

yesterday was y first time doing a cowash with v05 cond and the first time i used this new (to me) gf spray gel and my hair didn't like one or the other. my hair looked greasy or just oily? and today it looks filthy and i have flakes. I'm guessint it was the gel. gross...
  • russianprncssrussianprncss Posts: 450Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Hey! No prob! It really depends on the thread, it seems like, but no worries.

Yes, some gels definitely flake and it's also a good idea to figure out how much works for your hair. It's a lot of trial and error.

Definitely let me know if you have any more questions!
    2C/3A; very, very thick fine to medium hair; low porosity.

Current Products:
    Co-Wash: As I Am Cleansing Co-Wash
    Conditioner: Shea Moisture Tahitian Masque, Aubrey Organics GPB, Shea Moisture
    Leave-In: Coffee Coco Curl Creme, Coffee Coco Curl Creme Lite
    Stylers: Mop Top Curl Custard, Shea Moisture Curl Custard[/FONT]

"Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." -Khalil Gibran
  • geekrockgirl85geekrockgirl85 Posts: 170Registered Users
    Another fine-haired 2c here! I know the Fructis spray gel is CG safe, but my hair doesn't like it either, unless I dump some in my hands and scrunch it in rather than spraying... which kinda defeats the purpose of not buying the regular goop.

Did you do any leave-in under the styler? That might help against the ickiness you described.

Also, I've noticed that after I do a cowash, I need to do second rinse with a heavier conditioner or there's just no hope. I end up looking like a tarred tumbleweed... lol. Might not be what you need, but something to think about or try.

Only other suggestion is that you might think about testing your hair's tolerance of protein.
    2c. present color& past heat damage, fine, low-density, high porosity, happy with some protein. re-CG as of 5/2014. Wash:V05 PFS or KLS, RO: (trying to use up my stash; so it's always different!), LI: Cure Care, DT: SM Smooth & Repair Hair Masque, Style: Ecostyler Olive Oil / La Bella Lots of Curls gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file