My gray hair is completely different....

nana_banananana_banana Registered Users Posts: 735
I'm 27 years old and I'm going gray, which is not unusual, since my mother went gray at 27. I have about 10 gray hairs right now and every other week, it seems like I'm finding a new one. I don't mind going gray and in fact, I think it's kind of fun...

But my gray hairs are completely different than my non-gray hairs in term of curl pattern, texture, porosity, etc. My non-grays are soft, highly porous kinky 3C coils with a lot of bounciness. They are also very fine, almost translucent when you look at the individual hair strands closely. My gray hairs, however, are coarse, thick, and a much looser curl or wave (varying between 2B-3A), with even a couple of of them being completely straight.

Does this mean that over time, I'm going to lose my curls that I've finally learned to love and appreciate? :( Or will the grays get curlier as they get longer? They are very short right now, much shorter than my other hair.
Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

:afro:

Comments

• rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,358 Curl Connoisseur
    i think it's hard to say how the gray will be. once you have a lot more gray you might have to change products as the texture will most likely be somewhat different. and with that product change you may still have the same curls you have now. just needing different ingredients.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • nana_banananana_banana Registered Users Posts: 735
    Thanks rbb.
    Hair type: Mostly 3C, medium porosity to high porosity depending on the day, dense, fluffy, dry, tangly!

• twirlygrannytwirlygranny Banned Users Posts: 1,114 Curl Neophyte
    My gray hairs are looser that my black hairs too....it's weird.
    It'll be really interesting to see what will happen has I get more and more grays. I'm not even sure if I will dye them or not.

• DonnitaMaeDonnitaMae Registered Users Posts: 22
    My gray is the same as my non-gray.. at least I think it is! I wonder if the level of moisture makes a difference. I have been on a mission to moisturize like crazy since I went Curly Girl!
    Silver CG since September 2014
    2C/3A/Medium Texture/Medium Porosity/Thick Density
    Photos: http://public.fotki.com/DonnitaMae/curls/
    Password: sarie

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BeinDebBeinDeb Registered Users Posts: 583 Curl Connoisseur
    Mine is, too, Donnitamae, that is, my silver hair ended up to be exactly like my ex-blonde hair. I remember when they first started coming ~ they "seemed" to be a different texture/type. However, now, and especially since adopting the CG method, I realize that it IS a moisture issue. The lack of moisture both before and after hid the curls and fed the "poof." I suspect the grays/silvers were simply suffering more from the lack of moisture. As my natural hair is highly porous and extremely fine, moisture is the key right along with protein.
    Maybe they just seem more different because they are very noticeable in comparison to my naturally dark brown hair? My mother is pretty much 100% gray now but she dyes her hair. She used to be have what I believe was 3A curls (hard to tell from 80's pictures though, lol) and now it looks mostly like 2A/2B. She lost a lot of curliness but it could also be that her hair is damaged too (she also heat straightens weekly).

• fonkifonki Registered Users Posts: 353 Curl Neophyte
    My greys are noticeably thicker and more coarse. They stand out because they're the opposite colour of my black hair and they don't fit in with the rest of the curl. :(
  • chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    Grey damages fairly easily I think. I would suspect weekly straightening is more responsible for your moms pattern change.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
    I sure hope so, chupie, because I have fantasies of rocking the gray fro well into my seventies and eighties!

I would love a gray fro. I'll be happy with waves.
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • Sandy CoilsSandy Coils Registered Users Posts: 662
    I have natural hombre sandy brown colored hair - no dyes or anything. I have a "grey" patch in the front right of my head, only its not really grey. The hair strands are gold, so it almost looks like blonde highlights. Has anyone ever seen this type of "grey" hair before? I'm wondering how it will look when it completely takes over my head.
    My Fotki

My Blog - A Day in the Life

Products:
    EVOO
    HEHH
    TresEmme Curl Moisture Conditioner
    Aloe Vera Gel
    Let's Jam

Hair Type: Kinky Coily

[SIGPIC]Me[/SIGPIC]
    Wow. That sounds kind of cool actually. Have you always had it? I knew a kid in high school with one patch of gray.
  • testimony777testimony777 Registered Users Posts: 237 Curl Connoisseur
    I have natural hombre sandy brown colored hair - no dyes or anything. I have a "grey" patch in the front right of my head, only its not really grey. The hair strands are gold, so it almost looks like blonde highlights. Has anyone ever seen this type of "grey" hair before? I'm wondering how it will look when it completely takes over my head.

My hubby's gray started as copper strands that would show up periodically. Eventually the copper strands were replaced by gray strands. My theory is that the coper was just an intermediate stage as the follicle was beginning to produce less melanin (kind of like silver is for some people). Maybe since your hair is sandy your intermediate stage is gold?
    Hair Stats (CG since 3/31/12)
    Type: 3c/b; Density: M; Texture: F-M; Porosity: L-N

Products
    Cleanser: DevaCurl Decadence No Poo
    Conditioner: DevaCurl Original One Condition
    Leave-in: DevaCurl B'Leave-in
    Stylers: DevaCurl Volumizing Frizz Free Foam, DevaCurl Beautiful Mess, DevaCurl Flexible Hold Hairspray
    Refresher: DevaCurl No Comb Detangling Spray
    Finisher: DevaCurl Shine Spray
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,358 Curl Connoisseur
    chupie wrote: »
    Grey damages fairly easily I think. I would suspect weekly straightening is more responsible for your moms pattern change.

i was just looking over tonya mckaly's articles,rereading several, and came across this one which i thought would be super helpful in this forum:

Gray Hair Versus Sunshine and UV Radiation

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file