New to CG method and needing advice

Hello Ladies,

so yesterday I read up a lot on what to do with my curly hair and decided I want to try the CG method.

I have type 2B, dark brown, medium length, coarse, colored, curly hair that I tend to straighten because I just can't get my curls to look good. I usually just use Fructis Gel to get the curls out. I'm actually going to do a hair analysis as well to see which products exactly to buy but in the meantime I went to our Shoppers Drug Mart (I'm in Canada) and bought a few products that I thought would work:

Live Clean Apple cider vinegar - clarifying shampoo
GOSH Argan Oil Conditioner
GOSH Curl it Baby Styling Cream

Does anyone have experience with these products?

I washed my hair with the clarifying shampoo first. Then I applied the conditioner to every strand and let it sit for a bit. I rinsed it off and reapplied the conditioner. Then I took a cotton t-shirt and just dried my hair gently without rubbing. Afterwards I used a microfibre hair wrap and put my hair in it for the night.

When I woke up this morning the hair was still pretty damp but very wavy/curly. I put my head upside down and applied the styling cream and some gel. Then I flipped my head back and it looked really nice. I applied my make up and after that I noticed that my hair was drying and getting really frizzy again. So I applied more gel to different strands and curls.

It definitely looks and feels different today. It's more wavy than curly but also very frizzy. How long does it take until I can see a difference?

And furthermore, next time I want to co-wash it, do I wash with conditioner, rinse it out, and then add some conditioner again and leave it in?

Sorry for all the questions. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
2C - very coarse | low-normal porosity | normal elasticity |
(by GoosefootPrints)

Comments

• curlicious13curlicious13 Registered Users Posts: 1,632 Curl Neophyte
    I don't use a styling cream. I only use gel or curling pudding to style my hair and my hair will stay put for a week. Be careful when using apple cider vinegar. It can dry out your hair.
  • LillylulusmomLillylulusmom Registered Users Posts: 21
    Thanks Curlicious. Which Curling Pudding do you use? I'm in Canada so I can't get every product that is listed here. I just bought that clarifying shampoo and don't intend to use it often. Just once in a while. I want to try the co-wash method next. What bothers me most is that my hair was really limp and frizzy today :-(
    (by GoosefootPrints)
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Registered Users Posts: 1,632 Curl Neophyte
    I use the nice and curly curling pudding. The gel use is LA looks wet look gel. (It's clear) gel helps a lil better with frizz as well as shaking your head around. Embracing your inner rock star will help your curls.
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Curl Connoisseur
    Your hair is gorgeous! I think you are on the right track. I think it would help if you experimented some more. This website is an arsenal of great information. I think it might also be a great idea to look at people's signatutes who have similiar properties to you and see what their routines look like! I also really reccomend the handbook. I'm sure you can find it at a bookstore or online used. It will really help because it has techniques too. It's just hard to tell you what you should do or if you are doing what's right because everyone is so different. Kind of like skincare. Not to mention some change their routines with the seasons, some wash more or less than others, some people use a clarifying shampoo once a month, some just cowash, some can't tolerate glycerin and/or protein etc. There are soooo many factors. Good gosh lol.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using CurlTalk App
    *Current Routine*
    LP: SM RSB
    CO/CW: CJ Daily Fix, GR Restorative, SM RSB, SM SFC
    DC: SM, CJ Rehab, G.Nutrafix, DIY
    LI: a CO, KCKT
    Sealers: an oil, JC N&S
    Stylers: just CO, CJ CIAB, KCCC, aloe gel, FSG
    Once in a while: ACV, Lemon-Aid

Oils to seal, rinse, and/or pre-poo as needed :love10:

2c/3a/3b coarse, normal porosity
    :toothy4: CG since 2007 :flower:
    Thanks so much for all your replies. So last night I only rinsed my hair in the sink, patted it dry, added my products (gel and styling cream) then I plopped it with a cotton tshirt and slept with it.

I woke up today and my hair was super curly but still very wet. Then I just parted it and left it while getting ready. I realized they were starting to frizz again and then I had my AHA moment. I needed to dry them with a diffuser. So I did and the results is pretty amazing. I have nice curls almost everywhere. Even though I think I need to find better products and practice more I think I'm on the right track.

So leaving them to air dry causes the frizz for me but with the diffusor there's some frizz but not as much.

I'm attaching a few pictures of wet and dry this morning :-)
    (by GoosefootPrints)
  • bringingcurliesback?bringingcurliesback? Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Curl Connoisseur
    Youre hair is amazing! What products do you use and about your hair cut please! I'm asking because as my hair is getting longer so are the layers and your hair seems quite similiar so I'm curious!

*Current Routine*

Youre hair is amazing! What products do you use and about your hair cut please! I'm asking because as my hair is getting longer so are the layers and your hair seems quite similiar so I'm curious!

Hi there, thanks for the compliment. I'm pretty new to this whole CG method so still trying things out.

GOSH Argan Oil Conditioner
    GOSH Curl it Baby Styling Cream

As a shampoo I bought Live Clean Apple cider vinegar - clarifying but used it only once in the past 2 weeks and am planning on not using it often. The CO method is working so far. Regarding my haircut, it's actually my girlfriend in Germany who did it. She's a hairdresser and I trust her completely. I've never found a hairdresser here in Canada that does the cut the way I want it so I usually don't cut them at all :-(

I'm also doing a hair analysis in the next few days and I'm hoping to start buying some of the devacurl products. They're pretty pricey though so I want to wait to see if they're the right thing for me.

Your hair is gorgeous too!

Take care
    Lillylulusmom
    (by GoosefootPrints)
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Registered Users Posts: 2,573 Curl Neophyte
    I'd recommend getting the book, Curly Girl: The Handbook, which comes with video demonstrations on a DVD; and I'd recommend getting the paperback version because the videos with the Kindle version don't play on lots of devices (they don't play on any of the devices I have).
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
    Hello Ladies,

I thought I'd post an update. So I waited until I got my hair analysis back from that etsy lady and I'm so happy I did. I have very coarse, healthy, low porosity and high elasticity hair.

She recommended reducing wheat and proteins for my kind of hair. So I went out and bought the DevaCurl One Conditioner and the Ultra Defining Gel. Washed my hair with it for the first time this morning and the difference is remarkable. My hair is now super curly but also way softer than ever before, after only one time.The frizz is also way less than before. I can't imagine what regular use will do to it.

In the past few weeks I also used a curly hair conditioner and a clarifying shampoo as well as a styling cream and gel but I've now stopped that.

I'm attaching two pictures from before / after - you can barely see the difference but I can see and feel it. The first is today and the second is a couple of weeks ago.

What do you think? I'm super happy :-)
    (by GoosefootPrints)
    I think you've convinced me to go and biy those same products now haha. It looks fabulous :D

*Current Routine*