Product confusion

N2waterdogsN2waterdogs Posts: 9Registered Users
I'm almost 2 months and having product confusion. I think I'm 3a,3b, low porosity, course, and medium density. So I started with the entire Shea Moisture Hibiscus line and that gave me kind of Shirley Temple stuck to the head curls, and a butter stick feeling. Next I went KC total line KCKT and KCCC, which left me with stringy stuck to the head curls I did try making it less stuck down but it didn't help. Now I am co-washing with Sauve Conditioner, KCKT leave in and Wen Vanilla Mint Styling cream. My curls are stringy and more defined but very dry and I need to mist them and pack them in as my hair got huge like Jermaine Jackson back in the day. I really need help. My hair when curled is not quite collar bone in length.
All suggestions are very welcomed.

Comments

• kathymackkathymack Posts: 9,999Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    With low porosity hair you have to be careful about what products you choose. You also need to be careful about how much product you apply.I can use "richer," well formulated products in minute amounts.

The SM Coconut & Hibiscus line just sat on my hair. The good news is that I could wash it out with my natural soap bars.

I try to stick with the more natural products and stay away from a lot of chemicals, especially polyquats 4, 7 and 10. They coat my hair, cause build up and are hard to remove.

Found the Wen Lavender Leave In ingredients, but could find the Vanilla Mint easily. If they are the same:

Water, Cyclopentasiloxane, Cyclotetrasiloxane, Sclerotium Gum, Dimethiconol, Dimethicone, Trimethylsilylamodimethicone, Lavender Oil, Panthenol (Pro-Vitamin B5), Lavender Extract, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin, Propylene Glycol.

That could be causing a lot of your issues.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • N2waterdogsN2waterdogs Posts: 9Registered Users
    Kathymack, thank you so much for your reply. I am going to try some of the products you use, as I just had a hairdresser tell me my hair is not coarse it's fine just lots of it. She wasn't buying into the porosity thing, but I know my hair floats on top of the water dish, and never sinks down. I did try the Shea Moisture, just sat on my hair like a stick of butter. I've tried the KInky Curly line, not too bad but so far curl keeper is ok if I plop my hair is clumpy curls if I do the upside down side to side thing the curls are more fine and voluminous. So I'm guessing I need to decide what look is better for me. I'd love the clumpy curl if I could get the volume, maybe I'll get some of the Jaw Roller Clips. this is really a trial and error process, but I know it will be worth it. Thanks again and I LOVE your CURLS!
    The float test is notoriously unreliable--everyone would have low porosity hair! If you don't go for a formal analysis, the best way to tell is by how long it takes your hair to dry. Under 2 or 3 hours would be porous, over 6 would be low porosity and in the middle would be normal.

I'm allergic to CK. I didn't do anything for me, so that's not a bad thing. Volume and clumps don't have to be an either/or proposition. My hair LOVES protein--never met one it didn't like. I do frequent PTs and use a lot of products with protein. If my products don't have protein, I use a protein spray as first layer on.

My hair is too short to plop, but I do wrap it in a Curlease towel while I dress and do makeup (after putting in styling products.) Then, I scrunch with a CLU clothe and diffuse (some upside down) with a professional dryer. Clip in my part and let it air dry the rest of the way--still a few hours.

HTH
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Forgot to mention that a lot of curlies think they have coarse hair. Usually, that means it's dry and feels "wiry." Most curlies have fine hair, some have medium and a few have coarse. I don't remember the %ages--Struttswife, a poster and curly hair stylist mentioned it, but it eludes me right now.
    SE PA

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file