New to Curly hair and everything in between.

SkittySkitty Registered Users Posts: 3
Hello! I'm a 14 year old teen with 3b/3c hair. I just recently discovered this site, the curly girl method, the tightly curly method, and everything else earlier this year. So far I only did the Tightly Curly method, because I can't find anything with no silicones and no bad stuff.
I remember reading somewhere that natural soap bars (which I got a couple of months back and never used) can be used in place of shampoo.
So I guess I need help about the conditioner... I'm currently using Tresemme hydration conditioner that I got for sell last week... Used it twice and I'm not sure about the results :neutral:
I plop my hair before I sleep and take it out in the morning... Kinda wet and frizzy.
I can't afford anything right now... And my parents won't let me but anything online. We live in a small town, that only has a grocery store ;-)
Is there anything DIY?
Please, anyone help me. Anything might make a difference.
Thank you in advance. And sorry for the long post.
~Newbie~
3b/3c dark brown hair. Kinda over shoulder length when dry, 3/4 of my back when wet.
Canadian Curly.

Comments

• rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,357 Curl Connoisseur
    have you read the curly girl book by lorraine massey (2009 edition)? it explains all the basics for curlies, even gives some homemade recipes for conditioners, etc.
    some libraries carry it. if you can get to a bookstore they usually carry it. i think it runs about $8.
    there should be some homemade ideas on this site, also.
    if you can only buy sulfate shampoo, wash your hair with it less often, other times use the tresemme, but make sure you massage your scalp, then rinse. and you can use a tiny amount of shampoo and lots of water to water it down.
    i am sure others will comment here with more ideas.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    Also search "drugstore curly girl method" on YouTube for lots of inexpensive ideas for taking care of your hair. Much of it is VERY inexpensive. There are good tutorials too. Often technique, or how you handle and style your hair is just as important as what your use. Look up how to pineapple your hair and "plopping" which can greatly reduce your frizz. And don't be afraid to ask questions here. .
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • SkittySkitty Registered Users Posts: 3
    rbb wrote: »
    have you read the curly girl book by lorraine massey (2009 edition)? it explains all the basics for curlies, even gives some homemade recipes for conditioners, etc.
    some libraries carry it. if you can get to a bookstore they usually carry it. i think it runs about $8.
    there should be some homemade ideas on this site, also.
    if you can only buy sulfate shampoo, wash your hair with it less often, other times use the tresemme, but make sure you massage your scalp, then rinse. and you can use a tiny amount of shampoo and lots of water to water it down.
    i am sure others will comment here with more ideas.

I'll look in my local public library and school library this week to see if they have it :-)
    chupie wrote:
    Also search "drugstore curly girl method" on YouTube for lots of inexpensive ideas for taking care of your hair. Much of it is VERY inexpensive. There are good tutorials too. Often technique, or how you handle and style your hair is just as important as what your use. Look up how to pineapple your hair and "plopping" which can greatly reduce your frizz. And don't be afraid to ask questions here. .

Alright. It's just lots of tutorials say they need coconut oil, apple cider vinegar, etc. All I have on hand is extra virgin olive oil, flaxseeds (for the gel) and powder henna... Rose water too, but I don't it's enough to make a miracle lol
    ~Newbie~
    3b/3c dark brown hair. Kinda over shoulder length when dry, 3/4 of my back when wet.
    Canadian Curly.
  • rbbrbb Registered Users Posts: 4,357 Curl Connoisseur
    i don't know about your local library, but if my local library doesn't have it they will search other libraries in the county and if one of them has it, it will be sent to my library where i can pick it up. so if you don't find it, ask if that can be done.

3a, some 2c & 3b, medium texture, porosity normal, low elasticity :-(
    washing/cowashing, conditioning, protein tx: curl junkie products
    leave in:curl junkie conditioners and treatments as leave in
    styling: curl junkie 
    sealants - jane carter nourish & shine
  • chupiechupie Registered Users Posts: 5,280 Curl Connoisseur
    Well if you can make some flax seed gel that'll be a lot right there. That often is great for frizz. Did you look up plopping and pineappling?
    2a medium porous, You can see my wavy tutorials here: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLy8bclCLgER5N_uVYSYZNxhBHSXAW40OQ and my wavy blog is The Wavy Nation http://wavynation.wordpress.com
  • geekrockgirl85geekrockgirl85 Registered Users Posts: 170
    I know reading from machines instead of books can be inconvenient, but I *have* seen pdf copies of the Lorraine Massey book floating around on the web, if that would simplify anything.

That said, even though a lot of us go crazy with product experiments, the basics you need to start Curly Girl are probably available in your local grocery store and shouldn't cost more than $3 each (but I have seen the conditioner as cheap as 2 for 1.50): a simple conditioner and hair gel without silicones. Here are two common brands I happen to have in my arsenal right now, they come in several varieties and scents. gel_zps726ae5ac.jpg
    2c. present color& past heat damage, fine, low-density, high porosity, happy with some protein. re-CG as of 5/2014. Wash:V05 PFS or KLS, RO: (trying to use up my stash; so it's always different!), LI: Cure Care, DT: SM Smooth & Repair Hair Masque, Style: Ecostyler Olive Oil / La Bella Lots of Curls gel
  • BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    You do have enough stuff to use even though it's not as much as you like.

As already said the flaxseed can be turned into a gel.

Extra virgin olive oil is a penetrating oil so you can use that for a pre-poo.

You can use the henna for a conditioning treatment as well. However it's messy to use.
  • SkittySkitty Registered Users Posts: 3
    Sorry for the late reply... A couple of quizzes and tests this week.
    chupie wrote: »
    Well if you can make some flax seed gel that'll be a lot right there. That often is great for frizz. Did you look up plopping and pineappling?

The flaxseed gel did help my hair. It's just it felt a bit too gel-ly and so I scrunched my hair, and it poofed again. I'm already familiar with plopping and pineappling.
    I know reading from machines instead of books can be inconvenient, but I *have* seen pdf copies of the Lorraine Massey book floating around on the web, if that would simplify anything.

That said, even though a lot of us go crazy with product experiments, the basics you need to start Curly Girl are probably available in your local grocery store and shouldn't cost more than $3 each (but I have seen the conditioner as cheap as 2 for 1.50): a simple conditioner and hair gel without silicones. Here are two common brands I happen to have in my arsenal right now, they come in several varieties and scents.

Thank you, I did find a PDF. However, I'll try A.S.A.P. to get the paperback. I live in Canada, and a these shampoo and conditioner brands aren't in my store. To be honest, I never saw them in my life. But I'll check again...I might have missed something or maybe my store doesn't carry it.
    Blueblood wrote: »
    You do have enough stuff to use even though it's not as much as you like.

As already said the flaxseed can be turned into a gel.

Extra virgin olive oil is a penetrating oil so you can use that for a pre-poo.

You can use the henna for a conditioning treatment as well. However it's messy to use.

I'll experiment and check to see how to use it as a pre-poo.

Thank you all again.
    ~Newbie~
    Canadian Curly.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file