Mixing shampoo into conditioner for gentle cleansing?

Has anyone here tried to mix a bit of shampoo into a conditioner to make a sort of DIY cleansing CO-wash mixture?

I have this problem that I simply cannot find a conditioner that is cleansing enough and suitable for my needs and would also be affordable. Since it takes soooo muuuch conditioner to do the whole CO-wash routine I'm looking into alternatives. I live in a country where there are almost no curly hair products and shipping from online stores cost so much to this farthest trench of Ultima Thule.

I usually use Nature's Gate conditioners because they are so cheap and suit my hair, but they are way too heavy and waxy to function alone as CO-washers. I have tried mixing a bit of sulfate-free shampoo into Nature's Gate Pomegranate conditioner in the palm of my hand before I apply it in the shower. The results have been fairly encouraging. The shampoo seems to cut some of the waxiness, but doesn't have the harshness of straight shampoo, the mixture doesn't foam almost at all. I bet there are people with better understanding of formulations here on this board to tell if it's a really bad idea in the long term. Any experiences?
2A fine wavy hair. Hates silicones, polyquats and too much oil, loves protein and glycerine.

Comments

• BotticelliBritBotticelliBrit Posts: 2,075Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You could always just use a low-poo. Which is a gentle shampoo without the nasty sulfates. That's what I, and a lot of other curlies who don't co-wash, do :)
    3B. Med porosity. Med thickness. Med density.

LP: Shea Moisture (currently JBCO)
    Conditioner/CW: Jason Aloe Vera

LI: Aunt Jackie's Curls & Coils Quench
    Refreshing: TRESemmé Naturals Aloe Vera & Avocado
    Gel: DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel
    DC:
    Aunt Jackie's Soft & Sassy Super Duper Softening Conditioner
    Treatments: Coconut oil/Coconut milk

UK curly. CG since Oct 2013.
    Growing my hair to WL when dry :thumright:
  • KaZenner1990KaZenner1990 Posts: 859Registered Users
    I have heard in the past that you should not mix anionic and cationic substances but I don't have any further info about it.

[Properties for mobile users]
    Boticelli 2c/3A,M+C/ii, high porosity, medium elasticity, growing out color and heat damage. APL wet.
    2C/3A Botticelli/Corkicelli.Growing out color/heat damage
    M/C, Low/Medium/High Por, Normal Elast. Medium Density
    LP: INSIGHT DAMAGED HAIR Restructurizing Shampoo
    CO: Generic protein conditioner, Hair Academy Deep Cleansing CO
    DET/RO/LI: GNC Avocado And Shea Butter Conditioner +/mask,
    Styler: Schwarzkopf Taft Fixing GelWellaflex Instant Volume Boost Mousse
    DT: EVOO, C.O
    HG
    Goal: WL when curly
    CG since Feb 2014
  • EverydayCurlsEverydayCurls Posts: 301Registered Users Curl Novice
    You could always just use a low-poo. Which is a gentle shampoo without the nasty sulfates. That's what I, and a lot of other curlies who don't co-wash, do :)

She said she uses sulfate free shampoo. I guess she wants the middle point between sulfate-free shampoo and co-wash.

Current Products:

• Homemade Shampoo
    • Nature's Gate Biotin Conditioner
    • AG Recoil Curl Activator
    • AG Plastique
      + Plopping Overnight

www.joyfulmeadow.com

www.facebook.com/joyfulmeadow

www.instagram.com/joyful.meadow

She said she uses sulfate free shampoo. I guess she wants the middle point between sulfate-free shampoo and co-wash.

Skim-read that last part and didn't see the 'sulfate-free' bit.

If you're using a sulfate-free shampoo though, I don't see a reason to mix it with conditioner. It should be gentle enough. Have you tried using the sulfate-free shampoo on its own, without mixing it with conditioner?

DC:

• hallamaahallamaa Posts: 22Registered Users
    Thanks everybody for your responses :)

Yeah,the root of the problem is that I haven't been able to find affordable low-poo that is gentle enough, also I haven't found conditioner suitable for CO-washing that wouldn't make my wallet cry :confused4: I have gone through so many different brands of low-poo but none of them suited my hair and frizz prevails. I'm getting more and more confused about this whole low-poo thing, since some low-poos have felt even harsher that just regular old SLS stuff...
    2A fine wavy hair. Hates silicones, polyquats and too much oil, loves protein and glycerine.
    I've recently purchased the ElastaQP Créme Conditioning shampoo and it was only a couple of quid. I've also really enjoyed the Palmer's Olive Oil Formula Co-Wash Cleanser which, again, is really cheap.

Depending on where you're from, I'm sure the ladies here can rec a bunch of affordable and gentle low-poos for you, if you'd like to go down that root :)

What low-poos have you been using that you've found harsh / haven't worked? Maybe there's something in the ingredients we can look at and pin down!

DC:

• sixelamysixelamy Posts: 4,157Registered Users Curl Novice
    You may want to try Kiss My Face Whenever Conditioner. It's a great conditioner that has cocamidopropyl betaine in it, so it's very cleansing as well. It's the only cowash I can use with my hard water.
    2c-3a - med-coarse - normal-high porosity - high density
    :bunny:
    NP/LP: CJ Daily Fix, KMF Whenever / Giovanni TTTT
    RO/LI: Aussie Moist, CJ Argan & Olive Oil, Hask Keratin Protein
    DC/PROTEIN: KC Stellar Strands / CNPF
    STYLER: CJ Curl Queen
    COLOR: henna, amla & indigo
    :thumbdown:: glycerin in high/low dews, polyquat-10 & 11, parabens
  • FrostiiLoveFrostiiLove Posts: 105Registered Users
    I use sulphate shampoos and water them down, I'm sure you can do the same thing with a low poo.
  • ChaklatChaklat Posts: 89Registered Users
    I think the OP problem is that products are hard to come by where she lives and she has limited access. If mixing the poo and conditioner works for you, by all means do what works for you. It just like doing a pre poo. I've tried this prior to finding a cleansing Cowash product that worked for me. I find As I Am Coconut Cowash to be very cleansing, as cleansing as a moisturizing shampoo.

Sent from my HTC One using CurlTalk App
  • Morgan_AdcockMorgan_Adcock Posts: 2,573Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    When you low-poo, are you applying the low-poo to your hair as well as your roots, or are you applying conditioner to your hair prior to applying the low-poo to your roots? If not the latter, then I would suggest trying that. That is the method I used when I first started CGing, and I'm certain that I've read it in Curly Girl (though I can't remember if it was in just one of the two editions, or both). Pre-pooing – applying conditioner to you dry hair some interval of time prior to washing it, and letting it soak in, then targeting your roots with low-poo is another good option.

I agree that some low-poos can be harsher than regular shampoo. I think the manufacturers don't "get" that we're trying to prevent overwashing our hair (or think they know better than we do what our hair needs), and compensate for removing the sulfate detergents by throwing as much non-sulfate detergent into the mix as possible.

I'm also curious which of the Nature's Gate Organics Conditioners you used. I have superfine hair which gets weighed down extremely easily, and I've found the Lavender and Aloe worked well for me for both co-washing and conditioning/detangling.
    Peace,
    Morgan

Baby Fine 3B, low porosity, normal density and elasticity
    CGing since July 2008
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have had a similar issue since I started using Ecostyler gel. It works well but is not easy to cowash out. Out of everything I have tried I like Suave clarifying conditioner for oily hair although you would think a curly would run from an oily hair product. It really help a lot as far as getting the gel and oils out. Otherwise I have to cowash 3 or so times. And my hair is thick so even harder to get it out. Fortunately I shampoo once a week and I have been diluting my shampoo for months using an applicator bottle . Way better technique because it keeps me from puttingtoo much in my hair.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:
  • adthomasadthomas Posts: 5,525Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Tonight I mixed a little SM Restorative shampoo into my Suave clarifying conditioner. Probably a dime of shampoo per half palm full of conditioner. I worked in for sections trying to be good about scrubbing at the scalp with my fingers. I chose this shampoo because it's gentle and actually doesn't get my hair super clean. I save super clean for my weekly shampoo with tjttt but I wanted my hair mostly clean by getting most of the Eco out of tightly curly dense hair which is not easy with conditioner. I followed with a rinse out. I think it was the best cowashing out of eco gel so far. It worked well everywhere but the front. I need to work on that mre.
    Yes, it's real. No, you can't touch it. :wav:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file