Conditioner to keep indigo from fading? Black dye after care

chococatchococat Posts: 51Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I used a henna & indigo 2-step process and noticed that even after waiting 3 days before washing with conditioner only, the rinse water and my palms were tinted blue-black. The conditioner was sulfate-free & contained peppermint, tea tree, & other essential oils.

What would be safe to use to minimize it washing out and/or the black color from fading? Anything in particular I should avoid? I don't want to end up with orange strands because of the indigo washing out prematurely.
3b
Texture: coarse + some medium

Comments

• HtBlackHtBlack Posts: 292Registered Users
    Well, truth be told, indigo is simply going to gradually fade. It's not permanent like henna.

I guess you can avoid sulphates as much as possible, and so avoid all ingredients you can't remove with sulphates and that build up. Maybe a coconut oil pre-poo can reduce the amount of pigment stripped by washing the hair.

I've used a two-step dyeing process like yours before, though, and I haven't had a second-wash water be tinted blue-black before, are you sure you just didn't rinse correctly when you washed the dye out?
    Another thing - indigo normally stays a while, I've never ended up with copper strands unless I waited three months to redye.
    A 2C, wishfully thinking of being 3a. Sometimes I get there. CG since October 2013, Eurocurly (just for a few months more!), completely low-porosity now. SBL, wanting elbow length.

--
    Routine:
    CW-LI: Garnier Ultra Doux (Cocoa+Coconut Oil/Mango+Tiaré) or my own products.
    DC: Biofficina Toscana Maschera Nutriente Protettiva, or my own product.
    Homemade FSG, L'Oreal Styling Gel.
  • ButterCurlButterCurl Posts: 34Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Chococat, that's how I know it's time to color again - silver roots and little glints of copper. I don't wash often either - maybe twice a week max, but it's just going to fade.
  • LB61LB61 Posts: 7Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Oils. I have been doing two-step henna/indigo for three years. I stay away from oils for as long as I can after indigo application. I rinse the indigo out with only conditioner (no shampoo). I practice "heavy-oiling", but heavy-oiling is out of my hair maintenancefor about a month after I have done a indigo application.  Oils that I know from experience are not good to use after indigo application: Coconut, castor oil (castor oil is my favorite...hate not using it...lol). I have experimented with shea nut oil, argan oil, and avocado oil....but they also don't benefit my hair the way the two I mentioned do, so I can't say that they leeched indigo or not...I think it is the acidic aspect of the oil that dictates the amount of indigo leeching (but I'm not sure). 
    Now, because I have done so many henna/indigo applications, I can use those oils and others on the ends of my hair, but not at the root where the indigo only has one application. Also, I try not to shampoo or co-wash after indigo for a long time as well-- and only shampoo the scalp, not the hair, when I do. Overall, my cleansing with anything but water is less frequent after indigo. I found that the water-only-wash techniques are beneficial to engage after indigo until the color has "cured" and settled in.
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Great tips, @LB61

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • bomegabomega Posts: 1,355Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited March 2018
    Low-poo: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Coconut & Shea Hydrating Shampoo
    Clarify: Kinky Curly Come Clean
    Rinse-out: Alaffia Coffee & Shea Revitalizing Conditioner for Fine/Thin Hair (summer), Alaffia Everyday Coconut Ultra Hydrating Conditioner
    DT: Camille Rose Naturals Algae Renew Deep Conditioner
    Leave-in: As I Am Leave-in
    Styler: Lily of the Desert 99% Aloe Vera Gelly
    Treatment: Daily tea spray; Coconut oil overnight treatment; Citric acid rinse for hard water; 2-step Henndigo w/ amla to cover gray

2C, fine, low porosity, low/medium density, protein sensitive

Looking for styling products and tools

iHerb Code KQS149 for 5% off your order
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 10,840Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Thanks for your insight, @Bomega

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji