Frizz help!!

adstwrtadstwrt Registered Users Posts: 3
I have been using the shea moisture restorative conditioner as cowash and leave in then dry with a t-shirt and shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie to style my 3a curls. I'm still having trouble with frizz, limp curls that loose definition by the evening. Any ideas that could help?

Comments

• mustangbunnymustangbunny Registered Users Posts: 1,033
    Depending on what your hair's characteristics are, this sounds like buildup. You may need to low poo. How often are you cowashing? Do you use a gel? Is your hair easily weighed down? Maybe give us some more information about your routine/what your hair is like. Does it feel slippery in the shower but dry and puffy when it's dry? Not everyone's hair likes lots of butters.

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
    Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
    Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
    :hockey:

• adstwrtadstwrt Registered Users Posts: 3
    Thanks for replying. I only use conditioner and I use it every other day to detangle in the shower. When I first wet my hair it is kind of dry feeling but then I condition rinse and leave some in. I was using LA looks gel but it was too crunchy so I decided to try the smoothie. I use the CG method so no cones. I don't know if I'm just not using enough product but the first day I did and it was greasy and gross feeling. Next day I used less and it had good definition but I had to reapply the smoothie mid day because it got frizzy. It feels soft just frizzy. I don't have a lot of volume anyway but it seems to cling to the top of my head. If that makes any since.
  • mustangbunnymustangbunny Registered Users Posts: 1,033
    That really sounds like how my hair behaves when it has buildup. I would try a low poo with coco betaine(I personally like Yes to Cucumbers). It will be less stripping than a sulfate wash. If the problem persists it might be that you need some protein or that SM products are too heavy for your hair. Is your hair damaged in any way? Straightening/chemically damaged hair tends to like protein. It can help support and strengthen your hair. That's not to say healthy hair doesn't need it, most will need it at some point! But if that's the direction you end up going, start small. Pick a conditioner with a hydrolyzed protein in the ingredients list and if your hair likes it you could try some other PTs.
    I highly recommend checking out the Sciencey Hair Blog. There's tons of great info there. I can't link it from here but just google it and it should come up.

Low-poo: Looking for a new one.
    Condish: V05 Tea Therapy, Body Shop Banana
    Leave in: Giovanni Direct Leave In
    PT: My hair needs very little. I use Suave Naturals Coconut when I need a little bit and follow up with a moisturizing conditioner.
    Styler: Giovanni LA

Go Red Wings!
    :hockey:

• NaturalsaraNaturalsara Registered Users Posts: 34
    Shea Moisture does NOT work on my hair. It makes my hair dry, frizzy, and tangled. Try Cantu Coconut Curling Cream instead. It is my holy grail cream. Also a good suggestion for no crunch gel is Eco Styler Gel (the olive oil kind). To increase volume, try using a hair pick on the roots. Instead of conditioning your hair every other day, you could try refreshing your curls instead. All you have to do is mix water, leave-in conditioner, and a oil together in a spray bottle and you have a instant curl refresher. Hope this helps
    -Sara
    Hair Type: 3B/3C Mix
    Hair Texture: Fine/Medium
    Hair Density: Low
    Hair Porosity: Low
    Hair Length: SL (when curly) BSL (when stretched)
    Favorite Moisturizering Oils: Jojoba Oil, Tea Tree Oil, and Coconut Oil
    Visit My Blog
    Follow me on Instagram
  • adstwrtadstwrt Registered Users Posts: 3
    Thanks so much for your help I will definitely try the Eco gel and a no pop wash for buildup!
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Registered Users Posts: 1,632 Curl Neophyte
    I love the cantu curling custard and LA looks wet look gel. Both are holy grails for me.
  • kathymackkathymack Registered Users Posts: 9,999 Curl Neophyte
    You don't mention your hair properties, which is the best way to choose ingredients/products.

I can't use the SM Coconut & Hibiscus line on my fine/low porosity hair. It just sits on my hair. Only good thing is that it washes out easily.

PT usually helps me with volume and reducing frizz. I use a lot of products with protein, too. Also protein spray and things like Sea Kelp Biofurment as my first product on.
    3a (Corkicelli), highlighted, fine, low porosity
    SE PA

HGs: Anything Sevi; Curly Kinks Satin Roots, Curlycue ReNew and Coil Jam; homemade FSG and okra gel; soap bars; UFD Curly Magic; Botanical Spirits Jellies, CJ Repair Me, Aloe Fix
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file