Need product recommendation!

rchlstrchlst Registered Users Posts: 3
Hi everyone,

I use baking soda and ACV on my hair instead of shampoo and conditioner and LOVE it! my hair has never been better or longer in my life!

Now that it's long though, I'd like to add some definition back in. My hair is wavy and VERY thick but poofs by the end of the day.

I'd like to use some sort of curl defining product on it but obviously want to avoid silicone and waxes. I also don't want to spend a fortune. Any suggestions?

TIA!

Comments

• Geek_ChicGeek_Chic Registered Users Posts: 1,275 Curl Connoisseur
    If you aren't opposed to using conditioner, you might try some as a leave in. It would help keep your curls hydrated throughout the day and reduce the tendency to poof and frizz. If you'd rather not use conditioner, flax seed gel (FSG) is a great curl definer /enhancer. It's moisturizing and both cheap and easy to make at home. You can use a ton without weighing hair down and any crunch is easily scrunched out after the hair dries. I probably use between 1 and 1.5 oz on my fine textured, armpit length, medium density hair.

I'd suggest making plain gel the first time, so you can see how your hair reacts to it. If you like it, the next batch could be customized with additives if you wish. Science-y Hair Blog has a recipe with instructions here: Science-y Hair Blog: What's Cookin' This Week (for hair): Homemade flax seed gel
    CG since 11/2011
    2c /3a F /Mii, low /medium porosity

Go To Products /Routine:
    Clarifying: Suave Essentials Strawberry
    Low Poo: Renpure
    CO: As I Am
    RO /LI: GVPCB, Ion Effective Care, Maui Moisture Nourish and Moisture, Herbal Essences Birch Bark
    Stylers: Zotos All About Curls Bouncy Cream, Herbal Essences Body Envy Mousse, LALSG, UFDCM
    PT (as needed)IAGirl's, Mielle Babassu Mint, Zotos All About Curls Divine Treatment
  • rchlstrchlst Registered Users Posts: 3
    Thanks for the reply! So it's really just flax seed and water? That makes a "gel"?

Can I use ground flaxseed or does it really have to be whole?

Thank you!
  • KaZenner1990KaZenner1990 Registered Users Posts: 859
    It has to be whole and yes when you boil it the seeds leave a gelly substance. I freeze mine to preserve it better. It's very moisturising too!!
    2C/3A Botticelli/Corkicelli.Growing out color/heat damage
    M/C, Low/Medium/High Por, Normal Elast. Medium Density
    LP: INSIGHT DAMAGED HAIR Restructurizing Shampoo
    CO: Generic protein conditioner, Hair Academy Deep Cleansing CO
    DET/RO/LI: GNC Avocado And Shea Butter Conditioner +/mask,
    Styler: Schwarzkopf Taft Fixing GelWellaflex Instant Volume Boost Mousse
    DT: EVOO, C.O
    HG
    Goal: WL when curly
    CG since Feb 2014
    rchlst wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply! So it's really just flax seed and water? That makes a "gel"?

Thank you!

Like KAZenner said, yes it has to be whole flaxseeds. The ground seeds don't gel. Yes, the plain recipe requires only the seeds and water, however you can add additional ingredients for fragrance, additional moisture, protein, thickening, preserving, or more hold. Again, I would recommend making plain gel first to see how your hair reacts, then customizing from there.

I boil my seeds for maybe 5 minutes and once it's fully cooled, I end up with egg white consistency gel. Boiling longer makes a thicker gel, but it can be harder to strain out the seeds. If you strain and find it's not as thick as you'd like, you can return the strained gel to the pan and boil longer. If you end up with gel that's too thick, you can add some water. The seeds aren't super expensive, so if your batch can't be salvaged, you won't be out a ton of money.

Once cooked, the finished gel can be stored in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks (without preservatives), or you can freeze it in ice cube trays and store indefinitely. I keep a week's worth in the fridge, and freeze the rest. To avoid repeated warming and cooling (and bacterial growth) in my thawed gel, I put what I need for one wash day into a separate squirt bottle to take into the bathroom for ease of use. Ever tried to scoop egg whites out of a bowl or jar? Not easy. lol
    CG since 11/2011

Go To Products /Routine:
    RO /LI: GVPCB, Ion Effective Care, Maui Moisture Nourish and Moisture, Herbal Essences Birch Bark
    Stylers: Zotos All About Curls Bouncy Cream, Herbal Essences Body Envy Mousse, LALSG, UFDCM
    PT (as needed)IAGirl's, Mielle Babassu Mint, Zotos All About Curls Divine Treatment
  • KaZenner1990KaZenner1990 Registered Users Posts: 859
    Geek_Chic wrote: »

Thank you!

Like KAZenner said, yes it has to be whole flaxseeds. The ground seeds don't gel. Yes, the plain recipe requires only the seeds and water, however you can add additional ingredients for fragrance, additional moisture, protein, thickening, preserving, or more hold. Again, I would recommend making plain gel first to see how your hair reacts, then customizing from there.

I boil my seeds for maybe 5 minutes and once it's fully cooled, I end up with egg white consistency gel. Boiling longer makes a thicker gel, but it can be harder to strain out the seeds. If you strain and find it's not as thick as you'd like, you can return the strained gel to the pan and boil longer. If you end up with gel that's too thick, you can add some water. The seeds aren't super expensive, so if your batch can't be salvaged, you won't be out a ton of money.

Once cooked, the finished gel can be stored in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks (without preservatives), or you can freeze it in ice cube trays and store indefinitely. I keep a week's worth in the fridge, and freeze the rest. To avoid repeated warming and cooling (and bacterial growth) in my thawed gel, I put what I need for one wash day into a separate squirt bottle to take into the bathroom for ease of use. Ever tried to scoop egg whites out of a bowl or jar? Not easy. lol

Ooooo I have put mine on some silicone ice trays. Although it was hard to take them out. They were very stuck and I took them out and put them on a ziplog bag and remove 4 each time.

[Properties for mobile users]
    Boticelli 2c/3A,M+C/ii, high porosity, medium elasticity, growing out color and heat damage. APL wet.
    2C/3A Botticelli/Corkicelli.Growing out color/heat damage
    M/C, Low/Medium/High Por, Normal Elast. Medium Density
    LP: INSIGHT DAMAGED HAIR Restructurizing Shampoo
    CO: Generic protein conditioner, Hair Academy Deep Cleansing CO
    DET/RO/LI: GNC Avocado And Shea Butter Conditioner +/mask,
    Styler: Schwarzkopf Taft Fixing GelWellaflex Instant Volume Boost Mousse
    DT: EVOO, C.O
    HG
    Goal: WL when curly
    CG since Feb 2014
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Registered Users Posts: 1,632 Curl Neophyte
    I would suggest trying LA looks wet look get. I use it over my leave in. I get great definition and no crunch. You can get it at Walmart for $2. I also get frizz free curls.
  • rchlstrchlst Registered Users Posts: 3
    What leave-in do you use? Thanks!
    Geek_Chic wrote: »

Thank you!

Ooooo I have put mine on some silicone ice trays. Although it was hard to take them out. They were very stuck and I took them out and put them on a ziplog bag and remove 4 each time.

[Properties for mobile users]
    Boticelli 2c/3A,M+C/ii, high porosity, medium elasticity, growing out color and heat damage. APL wet.

If they don't want to just pop out, try flipping the tray upside down and running a little hot water over it. You want just enough to slightly soften the surface of the cubes where they contact the tray, but not so much that it melts them.
    CG since 11/2011

Go To Products /Routine:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file