Been natural forever..just didn't do it well lol

busanthobusantho Posts: 12Registered Users
Hi!

My name is Antonio and I normally do not like to join forums and prefer to lurk but this time. I felt had to introduce myself. I had been natural since forever because I'm guy but identify as genderqueer. So, I want grow my hair out and achieve that androgynous look.

I think my hair is 4A with b/c mixed. I can't really tell because it's "twa" stage. Hair background, I never really shampoo/condition regularly as kid and I always grow my hair out. I would style it as afro and then I would shed lot of hair then I would cut it... So, around June, I decided to cut my hair short to grow better proper haircare. I mostly used Taliah Waajid Hydrating Shampoo weekly then use ORS olive oil hair lotion daily which I think grew my hair fast. I think my hair grows fast naturally.

So, now I decide to switch to a different products because I wanted start using sulfate free products, so I bought four Shea Moisture products which are Shampoo, Conditioner, Style Milk and Curl Enchanting Smoothie.

I have some several questions, I just wanted to put here, so some of you can refer me to right links or answer it. :)

1. Does Shea Moisture that I used created the curls? as in there is something that "force" my hair to coils or is it something I have naturally?

2. My hair coils up, get lot of flyaway/frizz hair and seem to get some kind breakage. I don't see white tip of my hair (overreacting??). I try not to use widecomb but I still see breakage with comb or without. Tips? I do spritz my hair wet.

3rd. I seem to have normal porosity because next day, i can feel products is there, proving me mild slippage. Am I on right track?

4. What am I missing? What should I add for my hair regimen?

5. Is it totally normal to be obsessed with your hair?? LOL

Photos included.

Comments

• ReservechicReservechic Posts: 798Registered Users
    Welcome! I am glad that you came here for help. I do hope that all the answers that I provided to your questions below, will be of great help to you on your HH journey.
    1. Does Shea Moisture that I used created the curls? as in there is something that "force" my hair to coils or is it something I have naturally? Shea Moisture products are designed to enhance your hairs natural curl pattern only. You actually already have curls to your hair, its just that they are of a tight curl pattern. You have naturally tight curls which are considered to coils. So, all that the Shea Moisture products will do is to provide better enhancement of your naturally coily hair.

2. My hair coils up, get lot of flyaway/frizz hair and seem to get some kind breakage. I don't see white tip of my hair (overreacting??). I try not to use widecomb but I still see breakage with comb or without. Tips? I do spritz my hair wet. I don't know how long, you have been using the Shea Moisture products, but these products have natural ingredients in them that are designed to help aid with your hairs overall health and manageability. The Shampoo and conditioner can be used once a week or possibly more if needed. The best times to detangle your hair is when it has conditioner in it, or while it is in a wet state (after your hair has been cleansed and conditioned). You are to never detangle your natural hair while it is in a dry state okay, as that is a huge no-no for anyone that has naturally textured hair. The comb that you should be using is one that has wide spaced teeth to it. I do not recommend being rough with your hair, during the washing, conditioning, or even styling process ever. When you do comb your hair, spend a few minutes on a section of hair, and then move on, don't spend a whole lot of time overmanipulating your hair at all. As, anytime you overmanipulate your hair, there's a number of things that can happen such as hair breakage, hair brittleness, excessive shedding, split ends, etc. And, both the Curl & Style Milk and Curl Enhancing Smoothie are two products that can be used on both wet and dry hair. Due to your hair being in a short cut at this time, I recommend using only very small amounts of either product in your hair, in order to avoid possible buildup. However, I must let you know that it is very important that you get your hair regularly trimmed as needed. Any possible hair damage or split ends experienced at any time during your hair journey, should always be taken cared of as soon as possible.

3rd. I seem to have normal porosity because next day, i can feel products is there, proving me mild slippage. Am I on right track? If you are referring to the Shea Moisture products, your hair will let you know if these products are really the best products or not for your hair, by the way that your hair looks and feel through continued usage. As, your hair itself will honestly let you know whether your on the right track or not. You just simply have to take special note of such.

4. What am I missing? What should I add for my hair regimen? Because, you are just starting a new regimen consisting of the 4 Shea Moisture products mentioned, you must see how well or not those products work for your hair first. In order to take care of natural hair, you honestly don't need alot of products, just the right ones for your hairs specific needs is all.

5. Is it totally normal to be obsessed with your hair?? LOL
    For a lot of naturals, I would have to say YES!
    Diagnosed with Scalp Eczema 6/2015
    (Don't hair type/loose curl pattern/fine texture/low density/high porosity

Current Regimen (Ayurvedic Based):
    Cleansers- Bobeam Shampoo Bars
    Stylers-Rotate between Camille Rose Naturals Almond Jai Twisting Butter and Camille Rose Naturals Aloe Whipped Butter Gel

I only wear my hair in wash n gos or buns. Also,
    I do not use conditioner on my hair on a weekly basis. And, my hair is A ok with that!
  • busanthobusantho Posts: 12Registered Users
    Thank you so much for answering my questions and fanastic tips. I've noticed the difference when I applied my hair with little less products.
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Posts: 1,632Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    Busantho. I have 3c/4a hair and Shea moisture curling dried the mess out of my hair especially the shampoo. Hated the stuff. I conditioner wash more than I shampoo. I shampoo my hair once a month. My coils are smaller than yours as a matter of fact. If you have seen a size E crochet needle, that's the size of my coils. I make sure that my hair is hydrated and use tresemme naturals conditioner or as I am cowash. I deep condition weekly. I use as I am leave in and LA looks wet look gel as my styler. After giving my hair a good shake, I have frizz free defined curls.
  • HinkypunkHinkypunk Posts: 12Registered Users
    Well, being a newbie myself and not knowing anything about type 4 hair I can't help you much and I am aware this is not the subject, but you sure are good-looking, nice cheekbones :).
  • busanthobusantho Posts: 12Registered Users
    Curlicious- Hmm, I will keep that in mind, when I started using shea moisure, my hair got softer but using curl smoothies dry my hair and I might have allergic reaction to it. but it does makes give curl some shine I will keep an eye out for products you suggested.

Hinkypunk- Aw thanks! it's always nice to hear that anyways. :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file