Affordable Trim for 2b/2c Hair...is it possible?

Hi! New member, but I've been lurking for awhile. ;)

I started the Curly Girl Method about a month ago and saw improvements right away. However, I have several inches of severely damaged ends from my pre-CG existence. I haven't had a cut of any kind since January either. I'm worried about the damage traveling up the shaft and really want those dead ends gone so I can care for my healthy hair and keep it that way. I am 100% a strength over length girl.

I've used the stylist finder on here and everything is really out of my price range. $40 plus tip is really what I can afford, but I haven't seen any kind of dry curly cutting in my area for less than $75.

Here's my question: can I go to a traditional hairstylist and get them to trim the damaged ends, with no other cutting, even if they want to do it wet? I would insist on no shampoo, silicone, or heat. I know you can get a jacked up cut if your hair is really curly and they cut it wet, but I wondered if it might be ok since my hair is more wavy than curly?

One day, I'd love to splurge on a real Deva Cut and get cute layers around my face-- the full works. But for now, I just feel a certain amount of urgency to trim the dead ends before more of my hair gets damaged (and so my hair looks a little less bedraggled). It's making me super anxious, to tell the truth.

I don't want to cut my own hair for this first trim. I might keep up with trims myself after the initial cut, but I'm terrified of not knowing where to cut, since the damage is so extensive. I also don't know anybody who cuts hair, so the family member/friend route is unfortunately not an option.

General Info: I have 2b/2c hair, low porosity, med density and med width. I also live in the Triangle area of NC, in case anyone has local suggestions for me.

I also attached a couple hair pictures, in case that proves helpful at all. (I'm thorough :mrgreen:)

Thank you so much for reading the long post! Any advice for a newbie is greatly welcome. Thank you in advance. :)

-Katherine

Comments

• eveumeveum Posts: 744Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I had this exact dilemma a few months ago, my hair felt dry and I had split ends everywhere.

First of all I think that you should go to a professional, especially if you do not have a proper set of trimming shears. Using blunt scissors can fray the ends of hair and cause more damage. I say forget trying to cut your own hair if you don't know what you're doing, especially as your hair is quite long.

I have 2b/2c waist length hair but my waves generally start at about eye/nose length and downwards, whereas you have a stronger curl pattern. I don't really see the need to get this done by someone who knows how to cut curly hair as it's just a trim.

What I did was I booked a dry cut, went in, the hairdresser then proceeded to brush my hair, this is where I would suggest that if you have hair that tangles easily, brush your hair at home before you go, it will save you a lot of damage from dry brushing (most stylists don't care about being gentle when brushing your hair). Once I was all brushed out she used water spray to lay down all the frizz that had occurred, and proceeded to cut. I don't know about other 2's but when my hair is combed and wet it is generally quite straight looking. Definitely straight enough to cut no problem. I got 3 inches off to be safe.

I was worried initially about them trying to put products on my hair that I wouldn't use at home, and attempting to straighten my hair before cutting as has happened before. However I think that if you specify that you want the very basic of cuts it should not be a problem, and I wouldn't have hesitated to politely say no if someone came at me with a pair of straighteners. This cost me £10 ($16)

Low Shampoo: Aveda Be Curly Shampoo
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture/ Perfectly Undone
    Treatments: SM Black Castor Oil Masque/ Packet Gelatine
    Leave in: Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
    Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
    Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost

Between Waist and Hip Length (stretched), 2C with 2B roots
  • TudorRoseBeautyTudorRoseBeauty Posts: 2Registered Users
    eveum wrote: »
    First of all I think that you should go to a professional, especially if you do not have a proper set of trimming shears. Using blunt scissors can fray the ends of hair and cause more damage. I say forget trying to cut your own hair if you don't know what you're doing, especially as your hair is quite long.

Oh goodness yes, no worries on that front. If I ever do decide to learn how to trim my own hair, it will definitely be with proper shears.

Thank you so much for your response, this is really what I was hoping to hear. I know Lorraine Massey wrote her book from a curlier perspective than my hair is, but her admonition of anything but bone dry haircuts made me wonder if the traditional wetted-down trim would be all right for my waves.

I think I can be firm but polite and have a chat with the stylist before the cut. (And I think I can be perhaps a bit firmer if they start coming at me with a straightener or silicone, lol). I'll also be sure to gently detangle before I go (thanks for that tip, I wouldn't have thought of that!).

I feel much more confident about visiting a salon that isn't going to bankrupt me! Thank you again. :)
  • eveumeveum Posts: 744Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    You're welcome, good luck! <3

Low Shampoo: Aveda Be Curly Shampoo
    Conditioner: Tresemme Naturals Nourishing Moisture/ Perfectly Undone
    Treatments: SM Black Castor Oil Masque/ Packet Gelatine
    Leave in: Redken Diamond Oil Conditioner
    Styling: AG Recoil Curl Activator/V05 Mega Hold/Cornstarch
    Refresh: Redken Fresh Curls Curl Boost

Between Waist and Hip Length (stretched), 2C with 2B roots
  • wavydazewavydaze Posts: 2,065Registered Users Curl Novice
    Hi there!

First off, gorgeous hair!

Second, your hair looks like it's laying nicely as is. If I were you I would invest in Lorraine Massey's book (I think it's cheaper on kindle or kindle reader widget) and a good pair of thinning shears. The cost of the book and shears will be lower than the $40 + tip you're willing to spend on a haircut. The book has great tips on how to trim your own hair. Since your hair is long (meaning you can reach the ends) and you're only looking for a trim rather than a funky, stylized or drastic change, I think this will be by far your most economic option, especially if you learn to do it in the long term. I know you said you didn't want to do it, but you'll be able to tell where the damage is as much as any stylist (by feeling or looking). I would trim off a little bit at first, and if you want to go a bit shorter/cut off more damage, you can do another round in a couple of weeks or so. Just take your time, no need to stress yourself or rush yourself.

Otherwise, I'd look for a salon that is willing to do dry cuts. If you can't find that, I would just ask for long layers. I have a 2b/c pattern as well, and I do find that Deva cuts are the best for my pattern, however I've gotten good-decent "long layer" wet cuts in my life from non-Deva trained hair stylists. A long layer wet cut could be fine as well... just not thinning shears!
    2bc/ f / ii. low porosity roots + normal-high porosity shaft where bleached. normal elasticity.

Currently using:
    Poo: Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe
    RO: V05 Kiwi Lime
    LI: CJ Smoothing Lotion
    Styler: UFD CM, CJ PP
    PT: CJ Repair Me

:thumright: hydrolized protein, jelly stylers
    :angry8: guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride, sulfates, jojoba oil
    Neutral on cones.

iherb discount code: CFN646
  • FlamingoFlamingo Posts: 21Registered Users
    I have what looks like an approximately similar curl pattern to you, and I just got a wet cut - this morning, actually - and it turned out really well. I would love to try a dry cut someday, but until I find an affordable stylist near me, wet cuts can be fine. I ask for long layers, well-blended, and request that they not use razors or thinning shears. I've had better results than others depending on the stylist, but it always helps the health of my hair to trim the ends. I'm lurking for more haircut advice, too, but in the meantime, I just wanted to add another vote from someone who has had a good experience with wet cuts. Best of luck, and let us know how whatever you decide goes!
    My hair is 2C/3A, thick, medium texture, low porosity, oddly high elasticity.
    I'm always looking for new suggestions, but currently liking Curl Junkie and Kinky Curly.
    :hello2:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file