Any suggestions for seperating curls on thick hair? (3B curls I think)

SandalsSandals Registered Users Posts: 4
Hello everyone,

I've been looking around a lot today about how to get more defined soft and bouncy curls. I feel like my hair has the potential be close to something like that DeAndre Brackensick guy, and it's a look I'd like to go for too. My curls kind of go all over the place and get stuck together and gets tangled quite easily obviously (Attached a picture of my hair).

I think I may possibly be not applying conditioner evenly for all my hair to absorb moisture to breath, he has so many layers of hair all curled up nicely and mine are mostly nice on the outside but deeper into my hair they're messy, stretched out and kind of straight I don't really know how to explain it to be honest haha. I want to figure out how make my curls more "free" so to speak rather than in clumps or whatever, I hope you guys can get what I mean and have some sugguestions on what I could try out, thanks so much.

Stephen

Comments

• EverydayCurlsEverydayCurls Registered Users Posts: 301 Curl Novice
    I can't see the picture, but for spreading the conditioner, try mixing what you will use with a bit of water (you can even just put some in your hand then just add a bit of water and rub your hands together to mix). For the curling, I'm not sure what you mean, but is it that a large section of hair sticks together and then doesn't curl as much? If so, the same thing happens to me. What I do is once all my product is in, I rake my fingers through my hair, then scrunch. My hair doesn't make ringlets if I have a huge clump. Once it dries, if I see any section which is wavy or big clump, I seperate it (usually I can see how it should be seperated since once I touch it and start trying to seperate, it spreads a bit in gaps), then wet my hands and just smooth the water on each curl seperately. Once it dries, it's all ringlets.

Current Products:

• Nature's Gate Biotin Shampoo
    • Nature's Gate Biotin Conditioner
    • AG Recoil Curl Activator
    • AG Plastique
      + Plopping Overnight

• SandalsSandals Registered Users Posts: 4
    Yeah sorry, I kept trying to update the post with the same image and thought over time it would come up but I guess it didn't, here's another picture then. What I mean is that most of the curls kind of hook to each other and aren't very separated, I try doing that Ouidad "Rake n' Shake" thing after I wet my hair but it doesn't really do too much. Even though I detangle with conditioner in the shower and dry my hair properly. When it's dry or a little moist I can almost never run my fingers through my hair, I mean I can but it's a bit of a struggle and causes my hair to frizz up.

Sometimes I have this issue too where the back shrinks up more than the front as you can see a little in the picture. Ideally I'd like if all my hair just curled up nicely away from each other if that makes sense, rather than ends coiling on onto other curls and what not.

[Update]: Well it's still not showing, I have no idea why and I'm new so I can't use links or post the picture on here unfortunately. But you can see pictures on the thread on Newbies/Introductions, I'm the Indian guy..
    Your hair looks good on the introduction page (if that's what you consider not curling well, then you are lucky). The guy who's curls you envy seem to be more of a 3c pattern than 3b. Anyways, if your curls hook together, like I said, what works for me is brushing or raking my hair with my fingers when wet, then scrunch. If they are still together, seperating and adding a bit of water works well. Shaking does nothing for me either. Also, don't brush your hair when dry, since it undoes all curls and just poofs (my hair poofs out to a meter in width if I brush it), and damp does the same thing for me (less poofing, but no curls). Also, do you dry with a regular towel? For me that causes frizz. An easy way to use something softer without buying anything is to use a pillow case. I use it to plop overnight, but if I'm not doing that, I'll scrunch with it to get more water out.

Current Products:

• AG Plastique
      + Plopping Overnight

• SandalsSandals Registered Users Posts: 4
    Haha thanks, well those are pictures of my hair on a good day, I wish it would look that nice all the time but my hair is temperamental haha. Have some good days and some bad. Thank you so much for your advice though, I'll try it out and see how it works. :)
    Let me know whether or not it works!

Current Products:

• AG Plastique
      + Plopping Overnight

• NaturalsaraNaturalsara Registered Users Posts: 34
    Try the coiling method. After washing and deep conditioning your hair, use a leave in and coil the hair around your finger in sections. When your hair dries, pull the coils apart and you will have a more uniform together look. I believe that this is the answer that you are looking for. I do it some times and here is an example of my curls. Instagram

(Ignore the pic on the right side. This a before and after pic from heat damage recovery)

If hair is frizz prone, try a coiling with a leave in + gel like eco styler gel
    Hair Type: 3B/3C Mix
    Hair Texture: Fine/Medium
    Hair Density: Low
    Hair Porosity: Low
    Hair Length: SL (when curly) BSL (when stretched)
    Favorite Moisturizering Oils: Jojoba Oil, Tea Tree Oil, and Coconut Oil
    Visit My Blog
    Follow me on Instagram
    Try the coiling method. After washing and deep conditioning your hair, use a leave in and coil the hair around your finger in sections. When your hair dries, pull the coils apart and you will have a more uniform together look. I believe that this is the answer that you are looking for. I do it some times and here is an example of my curls. Instagram

(Ignore the pic on the right side. This a before and after pic from heat damage recovery)

If hair is frizz prone, try a coiling with a leave in + gel like eco styler gel

I just wanted to say that I LOVE your curls. I've never had the patience to coil my hair since I have so much of it, but your results are really pretty

Current Products:

• AG Plastique
      + Plopping Overnight

• NaturalsaraNaturalsara Registered Users Posts: 34
    Thank you. :-)
    Yea coiling takes time but the results are great
    Hair Type: 3B/3C Mix
    Hair Texture: Fine/Medium
    Hair Density: Low
    Hair Porosity: Low
    Hair Length: SL (when curly) BSL (when stretched)
    Favorite Moisturizering Oils: Jojoba Oil, Tea Tree Oil, and Coconut Oil
    Visit My Blog
    Follow me on Instagram

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file