Seborrheic Dermatitis & Color Treated Hair

WaveExplosionWaveExplosion Posts: 20Registered Users
I'm confused about how to treat my scalp condition while preserving my hair color. I tried the no-poo method but found my scalp getting itchy, so I tried alternating with Shea Moisture African Black Soap Shampoo. That helped, but not enough, so I am now trying Deva Care low-poo on alternate days with the Shea Moisture. I shampoo twice a week. I thought about using just the Shea Moisture until my scalp is under control but am concerned it will be too drying. It's sulfate free but is a clarifying shampoo. I'm thinking the no-poo thing isn't going to work for me.

I've read that with Seborrheic Dermatitis you should shampoo every day until it's under control (big no-no for curly hair), as well as use dandruff-type shampoos. I'm not aware of any dandruff shampoo that's safe for salon permanent color. Does anyone know of one? My doctor once prescribed one but it dried my hair terribly & was too expensive.

Does anyone here have this issue, with having a scalp problem & color treated hair? What's your routine? I've also heard that glycerine styling products can flare up SD?

Any advice would be appreciated.
2c/3a med. density, coarse, low porosity, color treated
Nizoral AD Shampoo (scalp condition); DevaCare One Condition
Redken Curvaceous Ringlet, Tigi Catwalk Curls Rock, or DevaCurl B'Leave-in curl definers
DevaCurl Heaven in Hair DT
DevaCurl Frizz-Free Volumizing Foam (crown)
DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel

Comments

• MeiMei Curl Neophyte Posts: 259Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm in a similar boat as you. My SD isn't that bad so I can color normally.

My doctor prescribed me a water-based hair lotion that works as a steroid to fix SD. You might ask your own doctor about it. I don't remember the name off-hand as I haven't even filled the prescription yet, but my doctor says it works really well.

Apple cider vinegar has also really helped with the itch and discomfort too, and it's safe for preserving color.
    Multicultural (Caucasian/Filipina)
    2b/2c - f - iii - low porosity - normal elasticity
    Holy Grail: Matrix Biolage Cleansing Conditioner for Curly Hair
    I rotate through the rest of my products depending on weather and etc but usually don't need them
    I try not to use products tested on animals if I can help it.
    Link: Updated hair picture January 2017
  • violetsviolets Curl Neophyte Posts: 1,689Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I'm confused about how to treat my scalp condition while preserving my hair color. I tried the no-poo method but found my scalp getting itchy, so I tried alternating with Shea Moisture African Black Soap Shampoo. That helped, but not enough, so I am now trying Deva Care low-poo on alternate days with the Shea Moisture. I shampoo twice a week. I thought about using just the Shea Moisture until my scalp is under control but am concerned it will be too drying. It's sulfate free but is a clarifying shampoo. I'm thinking the no-poo thing isn't going to work for me.

I've read that with Seborrheic Dermatitis you should shampoo every day until it's under control (big no-no for curly hair), as well as use dandruff-type shampoos. I'm not aware of any dandruff shampoo that's safe for salon permanent color. Does anyone know of one? My doctor once prescribed one but it dried my hair terribly & was too expensive.

Does anyone here have this issue, with having a scalp problem & color treated hair? What's your routine? I've also heard that glycerine styling products can flare up SD?

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Sugar scrub gets my scalp clean, no itch for a few days. I have used regular sugar but sugar in the Raw is better, it doesn't dissolve as fast.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file