Hypothyroidism related hairloss - Help!

TaintedPaintTaintedPaint Registered Users Posts: 64
I tried to search your boards for assistance but couldn't find any posts.
I apologize if this a repeat post but I am so frustrated I want to shave my head.

I recently was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and currently on sythroid 50mg for that.
Besides practically doubling my weight I have also lost tons of my hair. I was never blessed with thick hair but to an expanding hair line, and to find bald patches under my hair is very upsetting.

I take a multivitamin every day Rite Aid Central Vite Energy. I am anemic as well so I have to have something with iron in it. I take Evening primrose oil 500 mg twice a day I read on a thyroid forum its suppose to help the hair from falling out.

All my hair is virgin. It used to be 3a now its 2c almost completely straight and does nothing but frizz. I cant get it to do anything. I wash my hair every other day using deva curl no poo and deva one conditioner. I hate to wash it and find out how much more hair has fallen out. I am so ashamed of my hair now that i just put it up in a pony tail since nothing else can be done for it. Sometimes I put up in a bun. I try to make the pony tail loose. All the hair has roots so im guessing its not the pony tail.

I have been on this for 2 months and haven't even noticed a difference in my hair falling out or anything else for that matter.
Talked to my doctor and they said it take a while for the pill to work first 6-8 weeks now 8-12 weeks when i asked them at 8. They dont seem to really care that I still have all my symptoms I feel because my levels are now showing as normal.

At this point I just want my hair to quit falling out. Im ready to just cut it all off.

I order some Biotin and Henna to try but is there anything else i can do? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Hair Type: 2b/3a, baby fine, porous
Current Routine: DevaCurl NoPoo DevaCurl One Conditioner

Comments

• BluebloodBlueblood Registered Users Posts: 1,748 Curl Neophyte
    Google "stop the thyroid madness".

It's a helpful site for people with thyroid issues.
  • curlisue1curlisue1 Registered Users Posts: 494 Curl Novice
    What are your free t3 levels at? Try to find a doctor that will prescribe in your symptoms and not entirely on lab numbers. I'm hypo also. Have lost a lot of my hair. Doctor has me on armour. Just bumped me up to 60 mg and I think she will have to adjust it higher but I'm just now starting to see a slow down in my hair loss.

Make sure you are not taking your iron within four hours of taking your thyroid medication. Iron levels are important for your body to convert t4 to t3 so it is important to get those up.

Also have you had your vitamin d levels checked? Definitely check out the site mentioned above. Lots of good information.

Good luck. It's a difficult road. I've just now found someone to help after twenty years.

Sent from my Moto X
  • EverydayCurlsEverydayCurls Registered Users Posts: 301 Curl Novice
    I also have hypothyrodism (though thankfully no hair loss). Your main goal should be fixing your hormones because once that is done, your hair will stabilize itself. Topical products may help, but they don't treat the cause, so it will still happen. I second checking Stop The Thyroid Madnes (there is a website and a book). I have tried synthyroid and it made things worse, so I am now taking ThyroGold. Also, a lot of people with thyroid problems also have adrenal problems (my case) so it's worth testing (saliva is the most accurate).

Current Products:

• Nature's Gate Biotin Shampoo
    • Nature's Gate Biotin Conditioner
    • AG Recoil Curl Activator
    • AG Plastique
      + Plopping Overnight

• TaintedPaintTaintedPaint Registered Users Posts: 64
    I was trying to see if there was anything I could do to prevent more fall out before this thyroid medicine actually decides to maybe work. I dont really have a lot of faith in doctors anymore.

Original my results were this:

Test Low Normal High Reference Range Units
    tsh 5.480 0.450-4.500 uIU/mL

The thing I found really funny was the test actually says not to treat me.
    This now:

t4,free(direct) 1.19 0.82-1.77 ng/dL

tsh 1.870 0.450-4.500 uIU/mL.

Thank you for the link Stop the thyroid madness I will check that out.
    I had a really hard time finding this doctor my last doctor just told me I was old and fat essentially Im 29. I called twice to tell them I dont feel any different Im still gaining weight and im still exhausted. Besides the fact that I have to unclog my drain everytime i take a shower...
    Hair Type: 2b/3a, baby fine, porous
    Current Routine: DevaCurl NoPoo DevaCurl One Conditioner
  • RednaturalcurlsRednaturalcurls Registered Users Posts: 1,814 Curl Neophyte
    I am hypo too and struggling with the hair loss myself. I also suggest reading up on Stop the Thyroid Madness. Lots of helpful info. Also check out Thyroid Sexy on FB. That has helped me a ton too and she lists tons of doc recommendations. Also keep trying doctors (if you are able) till you find one that treats your symptoms, not just the labs. Once you can get stable a lot of your issues will ease. Being hypo royally sucks. I feel your pain

Sent from my SM-N900V using CurlTalk App
    Hair Type: mix of 3's, growing out an angled bob, color-treated red.
    Current products: GVP conditioning balm for co-wash and leave in, Curl Junkie Curls in a Bottle, Pattern Pusha and Garnier Anti-humidity hairspray
    Hair idol: Kimberly Schlapman from Little Big Town
  • EverydayCurlsEverydayCurls Registered Users Posts: 301 Curl Novice
    When I first started gaining a ton of weight while eating healthy and no changes to anything, we went to a doctor to check everything, and my thyroid kept being "normal" until about 4 years later (they kept going up, I'm assuming that my normal is lower than the normal range, but I never had it tested when I was fine, so I don't know), though they still said that it's not worth treating. I late was prescribed eltroxin, which made me gain 2 pounds a day until I stopped a week after, and was told that it's not possible. I've also been told that PCOS does not exist.

After doing a ton of research, I think that the best way to treat it is by getting regular tests, but treat mostly by symptoms, and if your doctors won't treat you or increase the dose, try finding others or other companies where you don't need a doctor, don't stay unhealthy.

Bottom note: do your research, don't just trust your doctors. If something you find is the oposite from what your doctor is telling you, bring the articles you found and if they still won't budge, change doctor. You are paying (even if you have insurance, you are still paying your insurance), so you have the choice.

Current Products:

• Nature's Gate Biotin Shampoo
    • Nature's Gate Biotin Conditioner
    • AG Recoil Curl Activator
    • AG Plastique
      + Plopping Overnight

• FilthyBeastFilthyBeast Registered Users Posts: 7
    I am really sorry you are going through this :/

This is strictly anecdotal, but Armour Thyroid is supposed to be really good, as it's made from a pig vs. synthetic. It's a good place to start your research on treating this properly.

Mary Shomon's site has a ton of info too. I actually had a doctor recommend her site to me. I can't post links yet, just Google her name.

And with hair loss, it can take quite a bit of time to arrest the cause. Months and years, vs. day and weeks.

HTH

FB
  • PATRICIA_BPATRICIA_B Registered Users Posts: 37
    My deep appreciation for the suggestions provided here by valued forum members. I was looking for some effective solution and ideas to cure such issue. Glad to find some positive views regarding such topic!! Thanks.
  • AnnFrancesAnnFrances Registered Users Posts: 1
    I tried to search your boards for assistance but couldn't find any posts.
    I apologize if this a repeat post but I am so frustrated I want to shave my head.

I recently was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and currently on sythroid 50mg for that.
    Besides practically doubling my weight I have also lost tons of my hair. I was never blessed with thick hair but to an expanding hair line, and to find bald patches under my hair is very upsetting.

I take a multivitamin every day Rite Aid Central Vite Energy. I am anemic as well so I have to have something with iron in it. I take Evening primrose oil 500 mg twice a day I read on a thyroid forum its suppose to help the hair from falling out.

All my hair is virgin. It used to be 3a now its 2c almost completely straight and does nothing but frizz. I cant get it to do anything. I wash my hair every other day using deva curl no poo and deva one conditioner. I hate to wash it and find out how much more hair has fallen out. I am so ashamed of my hair now that i just put it up in a pony tail since nothing else can be done for it. Sometimes I put up in a bun. I try to make the pony tail loose. All the hair has roots so im guessing its not the pony tail.

I have been on this for 2 months and haven't even noticed a difference in my hair falling out or anything else for that matter.
    Talked to my doctor and they said it take a while for the pill to work first 6-8 weeks now 8-12 weeks when i asked them at 8. They dont seem to really care that I still have all my symptoms I feel because my levels are now showing as normal.

At this point I just want my hair to quit falling out. Im ready to just cut it all off.

I order some Biotin and Henna to try but is there anything else i can do? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Get off of the synthetic thyroid medications, I was on Synthroid, it did not work, had terrible side-effects and caused even more health problems. Get your doctor to put you on WP Thyroid, it is natural thyroid from porcine and it's gluten free. I am on 65 mgs., and I feel great, normal for the first time in years! The hair loss has stopped, and weight gain from being hypothyroid is gone!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file