My hair gets so tangled!

RachpreachRachpreach Registered Users Posts: 40 Curl Neophyte
I recently started washing my hair only about every three days instead of every other day. While I love not having to wash my hair so often, and my curls seem to be doing better, my hair is so knotted and tangled underneath my head around my neck. It is torture in the shower trying to comb it out. I let my hair sit with conditioner first before I go to comb it out but it takes so long to do it. I don't currently sleep on a satin pillow so I know that will help but I just don't understand what is going on. My hair just feels so awful and dry after the 3rd day of not washing. I was doing the not washing it to prevent dryness, not cause it. Any advice?

Comments

• RimiRimi Registered Users Posts: 2,001 Curl Neophyte
    My Denman brush has been amazing for my detangling! I used to detangle with a wide tooth comb, which is fine for detangling a blow out or for light detangling. But my Denman has been truly essential for me having thoroughly detangled hair
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
  • curlicious13curlicious13 Registered Users Posts: 1,632 Curl Neophyte
    I love my denman brush too. It's crucial because my hair will get tangled when it's time to trim my hair.
  • CurlyInTheFogCurlyInTheFog Registered Users Posts: 876
    I'm a 3, not 4, but I use a Denman too. Makes detangling a breeze. I do think that a satin pillowcase will help quite a bit, too. It made a big difference for me in reducing those nape knots.
    3a/b, F, normal porosity

Suave conditioner, LAL gel
  • pigeoncapigeonca Registered Users Posts: 17
    Mu hairdresser (at Devachan) put me back to every other day. That way I can attack the tiny tangles before they get matted and hopeless. It seems to work for me, albeit expensive.
  • RachpreachRachpreach Registered Users Posts: 40 Curl Neophyte
    Ok I'll have to look into getting that.

I washed my hair last night after only have washing it on Friday night. It took 10-15 min to detangle my hair and I felt like my hair was falling out by the looks of how much hair was on the comb. I've never seen it this bad before. My hair felt like straw. I had my regular sulfate free conditioner on it and also a deep conditioner by vo5. When I rinsed it out it still felt like crap. Once I got out this was my routine:
    Sprayed on "it's a 10" LI condition
    Put Garnier fruitis argan oil
    Curls rock amplifier
    Tresemme hairspray
    Scrunched with t-shirt
    Air dried

My hair feels and looks fine today. Let me also say that I have blonde hair that is highlighted semi-heavy.
  • justcurliesjustcurlies Registered Users Posts: 38
    Have you tried detangling with the kinky curly knot today? for me this detangler works wonders!

www.justcurly.com

My blog is all about curls: Curly tips, curly hairstyles, curly product reviews, curly fashion and curly lifestyle!
    www.justcurly.com

My blog is all about curls: Curly tips, curly hairstyles, curly product reviews, curly fashion and curly lifestyle!
    ok Ill check that out.

I have been looking through the posts in the forum and am still pretty confused with all the lingo. I see in peoples signatures that they listed what they use as their routine. They list their type of conditioner they use in place of shampoo the they list RO which I guess stands for rinse out? I dont know why you would need both of these? Im so confused.
  • RimiRimi Registered Users Posts: 2,001 Curl Neophyte
    Rinse out means rinse out conditioner
    21 y/o lifelong natural {4a-O ; spongy ; coarse ; dense ; MBL stretched}

products {'poo: TJTTT shampoo | RO: TJTTT Condish | LI/style: TJTTT Condish, homemade cocoa butter cream | DC: condish + ayurvedic powder(s), Aussie 3MMM Treatment | PT: condish + NPF | oils: castor oil, grapeseed oil | other treatments: probiotics, tea rinses, AVG rinse/spritz, oil rinse | sealing method: LC sometimes O}

long-term: HL stretched, BSL unstretched

CG-friendly Products List!
    The conditioner I use to wash my hair with, I'll leave it in while I shower. When finished showering, I rinse out the conditioner. The conditioner you use as a rinse out your hair with doesn't have to be different from the conditioner you use to wash with. I do use a deep condition my hair with the conditioner labeled 'deep conditioner'. I don't use a regular conditioner as a deep condition.
    So need a light conditioner to wash my hair... And a deep conditioner to condition my hair?

What's the benefits to using conditioner to was rather than a good sulfate free shampoo?

Any brand suggestions? Affordable ones?

Sent from my LG-D800 using CurlTalk App
    The choice to use a conditioner to cleanse my hair was a personal choice because a the 2 sulfate free shampoos I used dried out my hair. The conditioner I use and have used are: tresemme naturals (current) and in the past I've used suave tropical coconut and as I am cowash. All of these will cleanse the hair and will foam in your hands. I also use sea breeze to get my product out of my hair.
    what is sea breeze?

I went on sallybeauty.com to find a denman brush but didnt know which one to get. I think I might try to buy GVP detangler and their deep conditioner and see how that works. Also may try to use a pantene or treseme cowash? Not sure about conditioner though. What ingredients should I steer clear of on conditioners?
  • twirlygrannytwirlygranny Banned Users Posts: 1,114 Curl Neophyte
    You may want to try pre-pooing to remove some shed hair before shampooing. I do this weekly before I shampoo. I apply a cheap conditioner to my dry hair, clip it up and let it set for about 10 min...longer if you want...you can also add oil if your conditioner is not slippery enough. Then I get under the shower, wet and finger detangle each (4) sections to remove the shed hair....then i rinse shampoo and condition and detangle. Your comb or brush should glide through much easier without all that extra hair. Works for me and I'm very curly (3c/4a). To save water I take a big plastic cup into the shower to wet the four sections of pre-conditioneed hair.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file